Sign in to follow this  
onejayhawk

First draft of the season.

This is an odd one. The league is returning list draft league. Last year it was 16 teams, this year 10. :shocking: I signed on for the 16, but stuck out the change. :wall: :cry:

Two major rule differences.

First, there is a big bonus (15 points) when a QB throws for 300 yards.

Second, 2 QBs.

Teams lived and died on their QB play last year. I had three decent ones. The emergence of Freeman kept me in the hunt when Cutler went down, and LaGarrette Blount won the league for me. :first: This year there are more than enough starting QBs to go around. Here is the team:

QB Josh Freeman

QB Jay Cutler

WR Roddy White

WR Dwayne Bowe

WR DeSean Jackson

RB Arian Foster

RB Shonn Greene

TE Jimmy Graham

W/R Kenny Britt

BN Felix Jones

BN Ryan Williams

BN Steve Breaston

BN Kevin Kolb

Oddly, I have Cutler and Freeman again, but no one else. There were 5 QBs in the first 15 picks, 9 in the first 30, 14 before I took Freeman. Breaston would have had real value last year. This time, he's the designated cut. TO is still out there :bench: . I am putting in a WW claim.

How does in took for a shallow league? I have very little experience.

J

Two major rule differences.

First, there is a big bonus (15 points) when a QB throws for 300 yards.

Second, 2 QBs.

There were 5 QBs in the first 15 picks, 9 in the first 30

Wow, that scoring change makes a HUGE difference! You say 5 QB's went in the first 15 picks like that's too many. In reality, its probably too few, as I'd expect 7ish (Vick through Romo). Josh Freeman didn't throw for 300 yards last year.... EVER. Compare that to say, Tony Romo who did it twice in the 6 full games he played.

Given this rule change, you definitely need a better QB situation. And even though you passed up QB's, you still left yourself weak at TE.

Also, I don't like the Cutler pick either. The Bears had the *fewest* pass attempts in the league last year. Now that may change, but their offensive line still looks pretty terrible in pass protection. As a guy you drafted as a starter, that's kinda rough.

And Breaston shouldn't be a throw-away pick. Late round fliers are important, and wasting them on a guy like Breaston is really bad. I'd rather have Jacoby Ford, Danario Alexander, Greg Little, or Robert Meachem, since all of them have a ton more upside.

So unless your league is a PPR league, I'm really not a fan of how you structured your team. You went strong at WR and sorta strong at RB, but left yourself weak at QB. In a league where like you say, you live & die by QB play, you probably should have obtained one of the top 7 starters.

I can understand that. Since it was a list draft, there was no way to adjust midstream. Two teams took QBs with their first two picks; we will see which was smarter. My WR are, by far, the best in the league, and I may also have the best RB, certainly the deepest. In most leagues I would feel fairly comfortable. In this one, we'll see.

BTW, no TO this year. I am torn between Benn and Jerome Simpson. Since I have Freeman, I think I will go with OJ.

J

I can understand that. Since it was a list draft, there was no way to adjust midstream. Two teams took QBs with their first two picks; we will see which was smarter. My WR are, by far, the best in the league, and I may also have the best RB, certainly the deepest. In most leagues I would feel fairly comfortable. In this one, we'll see.

BTW, no TO this year. I am torn between Benn and Jerome Simpson. Since I have Freeman, I think I will go with OJ.

J

Btw, its probably a good time to make a pre-season trade. Find a QB you like (Roethlisberger) who is undervalued, and swap some of your WR & RB depth for an upgrade at QB.

Btw, its probably a good time to make a pre-season trade. Find a QB you like (Roethlisberger) who is undervalued, and swap some of your WR & RB depth for an upgrade at QB.

I dont think BenRoth would start over Freeman or Cutler. I also think Kolb is undervalued. Without parting with Roddy White or Arian Foster, I dont think I can get a top QB. However, I will see what Bowe/DJax will bring. Some of the WR corps are brutal.

J