Sign in to follow this  
calliso5

Auction Strategy. Help!

I am preparing for my first Auction draft ever. Some quick notes:

Non-PPR

6pts TD all around

12 Teams

1 Keeper per team going into this season.

$250 budget for the Auction

This league has been established for 6 years now, but we are trying the Auction format for the first time.

My Keeper is Andre Johnson (WR)

I believe that I will be the only one with a WR as a keeper, my QB and RB's sucked royally last year. Johnson is my obvious choice with no close competition.

Anyway, on to my question.

Currently, I am tiering my players by auction values and honing in on 3 candidates per tier. I have my favorites in each, but am identifying the plan B players. Is this a good plan of attack knowing that there will be 12 players off the board from the start:

~$180 (72%) to spend on RB1, RB2, WR2 (Tier 1/2 players) (targeting rice/mendenhall and nicks/johnson) [all MI people so Johnson will probably be overbid]

~$ 30 (12%) to spend on QB1, QB2 (targeting schaub/bradford or stafford) [once again, homer alert on stafford though] If I get desperate for a #2 late, I may take a flier on mccoy

That'll leave $40 (16%) to spend on all the other players

Am I cutting something short here? Should I plan deeper? Am I completely off base?

Comments appreciated.

Thank you.

I did my first auction draft two years ago and had a very similar situation. I long time league with a standard draft changing to auction draft. First off, the budget is going to be subjective. What you have seems to be in the ballpark. Some will tell you that 80% of the budget should be spent on QB, RB1, RB2, WR1, WR2. Other will tell you that you need to more conservative and spend less on top talent to get more depth and still others will say you need more on top talent.

I think the most important thing is to be flexible and patient. Try and get value where you can. I like to let people set the market by throwing out the #1 guy in catagorey and see where I think guys I'm targeting should be. When they come up I bid on them if i feel the price they are at is a good price and also I will bid on guys I'm not targeting if they are going for less then they should. The main thing I learned is to really understand that having a budget is a good thing, but only as a guideline. If you try to go with hard and fast numbers you will miss out on value and other teams in your league will take advantage of it.

Well, I hope that was not the stupidest thing you've ever heard.

Auction drafts are the only way to go! Good Luck!

Read the article on front page of website it has some good advice.

The biggy is are you going Studs and Scrubs or Value based?

Value is actually harder to do in auction drafts, where as it is easier in snake drafts. For a first time auction draft I say go the Studs and Scrubs route, target a handful of guys you want and go get them. You need to have those tier rankings nailed and right by you for reference. Get those 3/4 elite guys and blow 75% of your budget on them, the guy who won our league last year was on autobid and way overpaid for 3 elite RB's like 90% of his budget. He ended up just crushing us all, it was actually very annoying. <_<

A big thing is you don't get any rest, who knows who the next guy will nominate so you can't walk away to get a drink or take a piss between your picks. Also if it is in person or online is a big deal too, online with auto bid absolutely sucks asssssssssss and can ruin the fun of a draft if too many are on it.

If it is online, in the first round throw out a defense you might like (top 3 projected value). Either someone over spends $2 or you get the defense you wanted. Also it lets you know whos autobid is going to make crazy bids and hopefully draw down their budget some.