Sign in to follow this  
bkimes

need help with 18 team league draft

Hi all, new to fantasy football and need a little advice as everything I'm reading contradicts everything else.

Its an 18 team league, each team plays 1 qb, 2 rb, 3 wr, 1 te, 1 d, and 1 k. The draft order is completely random each round, so I have (overall) the 2nd, 24th and 39th picks ... I'm thinking I have to build my core team right there. So my primary questions are 1) where in the world would you go with the 2nd pick... Brady / QB? or RB or WR? and then when it falls to the 24th/39th... just the best available... RB?

Any help would be appreciated. It seems to be a standard scoring league - no ppr, no idp, 6 pt td's, -2 pt interceptions ...

Thanks!

Ben

1) QB & TE are the deepest positions, and there will probably be functional options on the waiver wire even in a league this deep. At RB, you'll be lucky if the waiver wire options step on the field. Hammer RB's early and often.

2) Be sure to handcuff your studs, especially if you have the bench space. In a league this deep, your fantasy season rides heavily on production of your top 3 picks. If you lose one to injury, you're toast. So pick guys with cheap handcuffs that are talented. If you have 6 bench spots or more, you should probably be holding 1-2 insurance policies on your top two picks. Guys like Jerome Harrison figure to have a large role if Best goes down, and he can be had after pick 120.

3) QB vs. WR in the early rounds, I'd probably lean towards WR. But its close.

4) Be the *last* team in your league to draft a tight end. You can't let them fall far enough. The Greg Olsen, Lance Kendrick, Jared Cook train should take you as far as you need to go.

I woulod draft best player available in an 18 team league and at 2nd overall you have to go RB and probably at 24th too just to field two starters.

I disagree that QB is deep, in a 10-12 team league yes but in 18 team league you will have at least 4 teams whose back up isn't even a starter :shocking: so getting a top ten QB should be a prioity before you end up starting Tavaris Jackson every week. Plus if you take a QB 6 picks into the 2nd round you will proabaly start a run on QBs if one hasn't started already leaving you something decent in the 3rd

you will have at least 4 teams whose back up isn't even a starter

Since you only start 1 QB each week, why do you need a back up QB? For one bye week?

I'd probably just target the "good value" QB's. Roethlisberger, Stafford, Bradford, ect. Pair them with a low end QB2 like a Fitzpatrick, Colt McCoy, Cam Newton, John Beck, and you'll be just fine.

Since you only start 1 QB each week, why do you need a back up QB? For one bye week?

I'd probably just target the "good value" QB's. Roethlisberger, Stafford, Bradford, ect. Pair them with a low end QB2 like a Fitzpatrick, Colt McCoy, Cam Newton, John Beck, and you'll be just fine.

obviously you didnt have Romo on your team last year and if he waits on a QB McCoy might be his starter <_<

obviously you didnt have Romo on your team last year and if he waits on a QB McCoy might be his starter <_<

Truth be told, I actually drafted him in a $100 league last year. I didn't draft a backup.

You're trying to be the best of 18 teams. That requires taking chances. Not drafting a back up to your QB (or waiting a long time to take one) is a smart chance worth taking.