Sign in to follow this  
DeaLerZ

Amendola reportedly trying to play this Sunday?

On ESPN NFL Live.. they just said that Amendola is trying to play this Sunday, and is waiting for a Doctor to tell him "NO!".... anyone have any insight into this??

http://rotoworld.com/player/nfl/4991/danny-amendola

ESPN's Adam Schefter reports that Danny Amendola "wants" to play Monday night against the Giants, despite a severely dislocated left elbow suffered in last week's loss to Philadelphia.

"Danny Amendola actually wants to play, and the Rams doctors are gonna have to try to hold him out," said Schefter. The report confirms Amendola's toughness, but it also suggests he's recovering more quickly than anticipated. Coach Steve Spagnuolo reiterated Wednesday that Amendola will not need elbow surgery. Perhaps he'll be back before the Rams' Week 5 bye, after all. Sep 14 - 4:30 PM

I always knew he was a superhero

Welker 2.0 indeed!

I love the toughness but I don't want him to force a comeback too soon, I don't want him to aggravate it and be out for the year. I think we shouldn't expect him before week 6 and be pleasantly suprised if he makes it back by week 4.

Didn't Rajon Rondo dislocate his elbow in the playoffs this year and play the next game. Sure, basketball is not football, but it can't be that bad. I'm guessing there is a solid risk of reinjury and contact would be painful.

Suffered the same injury skiing. The mind-blurring pain goes away once the dislocation is reduced, but you're left with hardly any strength from the elbow down. This gradually improved, but even though I got use of the arm back fairly quickly it took about two weeks to get close to anything resembling normal.

Because you don't dislocate an elbow without doing at least some damage to the joint, the tendons and ligaments that were hyper-extended need time to strengthen and recover. Otherwise there's a danger the thing pops on you again. I was told if mine did (it didn't) surgery to tighten the tendons was the only alternative to life with an elbow that could blow out while I was brushing my teeth. Regardless, you never really get back to 100 percent.

Having gone through it, however, I can see why Amendola thinks he'll be good to go. The elbow feels OK, but not great. And he's probably recovered most of his mobility in his arm. He could likely roll the dice and play. The smart move is to give the tendons and ligaments a few weeks to heal to reduce the odds it happens again. If it does, his season is likely shot.