Sign in to follow this  
ssharpe12

Late draft with small league

I usually play in 10-12 team leagues, but this one i am in with some buddies is a little different.

We start 2 QB's each week and there are only 8 teams.

I usually like to focus heavily on RB and QB's in a league such as this one.

Does anyone have a particular strategy difference with drafting an 8 team league vs. a 10-12 team league?

If you just draft the best player on the board, and only going after a position of need when there is a tie between the best player and that wr2 you really need, you will do well. Specially considering how much talent is left on the FA and Waiver from week to week in a smaller league like that. Good luck.

A lot still depends on your scoring format and roster size. You need to know if it is ppr/traditional as this will dramatically alter RB rankings and this is the most critical position to fill in most leagues do to position scarcity and the RBBC that is sweeping the league.

I am assuming a normal league so I would go RB/RB, if the QB's get an incredible amount of points then you have to get at least one elite guy and maybe even go QB/QB. Personally I hate going QB early but everything is dictated by scoring format, you need to dig into that and understand it thoroughly.

In smaller leagues you want as many elite players as possible, everyone is going to be stacked so you want as clear an edge as you can get at as many positions as possible. This is a bit of a, "No Duh" statement but it alters some of my standard strategies quite a bit. Another viable strategy would be RB/then best available QB/WR/TE and in this way have a stud at every single position to anchor my squad.

Normally I like to wait on QB and TE as I think there is a lot of value to be found late if your scoring format does not favor QB's too heavily I would just draft for value. The one position I might actually wait on is WR, if you can't land a preseason top 5 guy then the rest become largely interchangeable and your WW will be deeeeeeeeeep in an 8 man league. If your lucky Nicks might slip due to injury concern and no one noticed Marshal is primed for a huge year, but this is why I don't like drafting so late there are very few suprises.

You notice I am mentioning several possible drafting strategies, this is key, stay flexible and take advantage of how the draft is unfolding. In such a shallow league I would put the emphasis on RB/QB in the draft as these will get snatched off of waivers quickly.

#1 recommendation - forget everything you know about 10 and 12 teamers and really stare at 8 team ADPs and the kind of team you might end up with under different strategies. The differences between 8 and 10/12 are stark. On draft day, it may not feel huge between an 8 and a 10 but there are always serviceable WR3s on waivers in an 8 teamer and you can get a serviceable RB3 off waivers most weeks.

Studs at as many positions as possible, and draft for upside.

You will be tempted to take "massive values" at RB who are "still there" throughout the draft, but the fact of the matter is that Cedric Benson and similar players isn't startable in an 8 teamer.

It's funny that 8 team and 12 team draft strategies are almost opposite. You might stack up on RBs, wait on QBs and TEs in a 12 teamer. If you do that in an 8 teamer, you'll have 6 starting caliber RBs, the worst QB1 in the league and the worst TE1 in the league, and a pedestrian WR corps because you'll take a "5th round RB" like Mathews/Greene that you'll never start over a WR2 that you need.

WR is easy to replace on waivers. Don't waste a 9th rounder on a guy Mike Thomas unless you think he has 12-teamer WR1 potential.

Tight End is deep. Unless you're taking Gates in the late 4th/early 5th or a 2nd tier "stud" later, wait a while but don't settle on Olsen and Jared Cook.

Almost the same goes for QBs. Vick and Rodgers are fine picks late in the 1st or in the 2nd. Brady is a fine pick in the late 3rd. You'll be tempted to wait on QB and go with Flacco or Roeth in the 7th/8th but you will be giving up a lot of points most weeks.

One of my leagues is an 8 player one. In my experience, everyone is going to have studs at every starting position so the best strategy is to play it safe in the early picks and to take chances in the later picks.