Sign in to follow this  
Antiramie

Playoff Seeding Tiebreaker

In my ESPN league, the seeding tiebreaker is set as head-to-head. There are 5 teams with 6-6 records. Each has played the other teams once. Another team and I each have a 3-1 record against the other 4 teams. So does that mean that the tiebreaker between us will still be head-to-head for just our 2 teams, or will it then go to the next tiebreaker (total points I think)?

The tie breaker process is supposed to start over again once you eliminate the first team. See below:

Team a 3-1

Team b 3-1

Team c 2-2

Team D 2-2

Team F 0-4

Team F would be out and you start again from the top until you have 2 teams remaining. Atleast that is how i see it.

If that's true, and my scenario is this for 5th-9th place:

Team A (Me): 3-1

Team B: 3-1

Team C: 2-2

Team D: 1-3

Team E: 1-3

...wouldn't teams C-E all be eliminated from contention for 4th and 5th. If so, would Teams A & B repeat the head-to-head tiebreaker between them or move onto total points?

If that's true, and my scenario is this for 5th-9th place:

Team A (Me): 3-1

Team B: 3-1

Team C: 2-2

Team D: 1-3

Team E: 1-3

...wouldn't teams C-E all be eliminated from contention for 4th and 5th. If so, would Teams A & B repeat the head-to-head tiebreaker between them or move onto total points?

You eliminate one team at a time so the loser between d and f would be out then you start over with 4 teams.

You eliminate one team at a time so the loser between d and f would be out then you start over with 4 teams.

I thought it was the opposite and that all clubs without a 3-1 record are eliminated, thus reverting back to the 1st tiebreaker between two teams, which again would be H2H.

I thought it was the opposite and that all clubs without a 3-1 record are eliminated, thus reverting back to the 1st tiebreaker between two teams, which again would be H2H.

Sorry, you are correct, just read my own tie breaker rules. The H2H winner of the 3-1 teams would get the playoff spot. If there is a 2nd or more spots you redo the rankings w/o the team that got the 1st spot. Then you go from there.

Sorry, you are correct, just read my own tie breaker rules. The H2H winner of the 3-1 teams would get the playoff spot. If there is a 2nd or more spots you redo the rankings w/o the team that got the 1st spot. Then you go from there.

All teams make the playoffs in my league (I know...). My question is just about seeding and not "elimination". Wouldn't it be these tiers based on the first 5-team tiebreaker:

Tier 1: 3-1 teams (4th & 5th decided by H2H between)

Tier 2: 2-2 team (6th)

Tier 3: 1-3 teams (7th & 8th decided by H2H between)

-------------------------- OR THIS????:

Tier 1: 3-1 teams (4th & 5th decided by H2H between)

Tier 2: 3 remaining teams (6th-9th decided by H2H among Teams C, D, E)

Unfortunately it is not that simple to determine seeding. The first thing you have to do is to determine the tiebreakers within each division before you proceed. After you have the top seeds within each division, then you would apply the head to head first. If that did not determine the top seed, you would move to the next tie breaking procedure. Once the top seed is determined, you would once again go to the top within each division and apply the same tiebreakers starting with head to head. Check online and type "NFL tiebreaking procedure" and this will give you all of the information. Three years ago, my league voted to make total points the tie breaking procedure for wild cards and seeding and here is why : It is simple and fair - Imagine you are tied with another team and you scored 2000 points, while the other team scored 1500. When you played this team during the season, you had Drew Brees, Calvin Johnson and Jimmy Graham on a bye and lost. Let's reward the best teams, not the most lucky teams.