Sign in to follow this  
TyCobb

TyCobb's 2002 Draft self-grade

No picks in the first two rounds? Guuhhhh. Well, I think I still managed an above average grade by juggling a lot of early trades and langing 3 3rd rounders. You be the judge.

3:08 WR David Patten NE - Great backup last season, but that was last season. The Pats have brought in a few guys who will surely steal some catches, but overall I think Patten will still get his share. He and Brady seemed to have a connection. I look at Patten as a bye week substitution at the #3 WR spot. Grade : B

3.10 WR Darnay Scott Cinci - Honestly I couldn't believe he was available. He's listed as their #1 receiver right now, and that's not something you expect to grab late in the 3rd round of a rookie draft. That said, there's a reason he's on the June 1st cut list. Injury worries me a little here, but maybe he lands somewhere as a very nice #2 on a high-powered offensive team in a few days. Even on Cinci I still like Scott as a possible #3 starter at times, especially if David Terrell takes another year to bloom. Cross my fingers. Grade : B

3.11 TE Tony McGee Dallas - Maybe my worst pick, but maybe not. Maybe my worst because I promptly traded Keenan McCardell for Eric Johnson, my definite starter most weeks. Maybe not because McGee has a real chance to produce in Big D. He's worked with Coslett before, and Quincy Carter in Dallas will surely need a safety valve in the WCO this year. I think this one might turn out okay, or it might be the one glaring mistake I usually make every draft. Thought about RB Chester Taylor Balt. here. Might regret not going with him. Grade : C (with a possible move to B if McGee clicks well with Quincy)

4.10 RB Leonard Henry Miami - Seems to be impressing the FIN coaches so far. That's a good sign. I had Ricky's backup last year, Duece, and it made lineup drafting easy. I am hoping Henry secures the #2 slot and gives me the same option this year. Grade : B

5.14 RB Terrell Fletcher SD - I was talking with Dr.J on IM the night this pick came up, so he knows I wasn't targetting this guy at all. In fact, I was leaning heavily toward taking the Dallas D (but I hoped they would drop a bit further - Dang you, Topes!). Anyhoo, I just happened to stumble upon Fletcher's name, and was surprised to see him just sitting there. With LT, there's no chance Fletcher starts. But maybe a late season slow down occurs again. Or maybe Fletcher gets some good 3rd down opps. Either way, he's a FA next year and should draw some interest. He's been a real productive back at times. Diamond in the rough? Grade : A

6.09 WR Eddie Kennison KC - Another "grizled vet", as Topes would say, to add to my ever-bulging #3 WR corps. With Terrell Owens and Rod Smith, I'm just hoping the flood of #3's will net some productive rotation points this year. I shouldn't need much from them, and it may be a moot point if David Terrell shows why he was taken so high last year. If that doesn't happen, though, guys like Kennison could prove valuable to me. I don't think that little teather-ball pole Minnis will do much, and Sly Morris is hobbled. Come on, Eddie, put it together this year. If you do, I promise to trade you to an XDL team that really wants you. :D Grade : B

Picks 7 and 8 coming. And I've saved the best for last! :(

-------

Well, I had a busy offseason full of lots of trades. Some I regret, some I don't. But all in all I really made a push for stud WR's. Obviously I'm trying to build a champ this year. However, I don't think I considerably comprimised my chances down the road either, because I got rid of some old fogies along the way. I did lost some depth, my real strength last season, but if things fall into place with this draft I may have gotten some back. Depth and studs - I love it.

OVERALL GRADE : B (Not bad, I think, with no 1st or 2nd rounders.) :(

What do you think?

considering where you were picking, you definitely did a good job grabbing getting a couple wr's that could score you some good pts. (Pattern and Scott).I also like the henry pick (yes i'm a homer) :D

I don't really care for mcgee or kennison though.And i think you gave yourself a little bit to high of a grade on fletcher.In my eyes fletcher won't ever be anything but a backup and on some teams not even that.

overall - B- good job considering you had no high picks.

Well, I dropped both PatteRn and Scott. I had some young guys that I felt had more upside and had to make some tough cuts. Both of these guys are solid backups. My reason for the cuts were:

Patten-Had a good season, but yet the Pats went out and got Donald Hayes. I know they are nowhere near the same type of player, but how many ball are there to go around-especially with their passing game.

Scott-His leg is still bothering him and as far as I know, he still hasn't been around Bengal camp. I think his best days are behind him. He is the odd man out if he stays in Cincy. If he lands in a good situation, he could be solid again.

With Tim Brown and Joe Horn, I felt I had enough depth between Morton, Alexander, Morgan, McCairens and Bradford for the #3 spot and bye week fillers. I added Antonio Bryant and Cliff Russel in the draft to complete the youth movement. I maybe should've planned ahead a little better regarding Scott and PatteRn, but live and learn. I also couldn't justify dropping a young tight end to keep one of these guys.

Good luck with those two.

3:08 WR David Patten NE - Your fiendish plot to foil Stick worked to perfection. :D

3.10 WR Darnay Scott Cinci - D+ (Cowboy/Bengal Connection = Bad)

3.11 TE Tony McGee Dallas - D (Cowboy/Bengal Connection = Bad)

4.10 RB Leonard Henry Miami - B+ (looked good in pre=season, or was that Verron Haynes in Pitt..?)

5.14 RB Terrell Fletcher SD - B

6.09 WR Eddie Kennison KC - B+ (got some legit PT this season)

Originally posted by TyCobb:

:D   I'm so gonna smoke you this year.     :(

:D

That's assuming you even get the opportunity. :(