Sign in to follow this  
meathook13

Draft strategy with a keeper twist

I am batting around a few draft strategies and am looking for any comments anyone is willing to give. Nothing set in stone.

Due to our keeper rules I get to keep Marshawn Lynch in the 8th round (excellent value). There are roughly 24 total keepers throughout the league in various rounds. We have 12 teams, no flex, qb, rb, rb, wr, wr, te, k, dt. QB passing td's are 3 pts. Not ppr. 6 pts for all other td's. pretty standard scoring.

With the 7th overall pick and lynch in my pocket in the 8th round, I see the draft going something like this.

1, 2, 3, top rbs.

4, 5, rodgers and megatron

6, 7, brees, brady in any order.

8+ seems to be a crap shoot.

I am happy with any of the 3 top qb's (most likely brees or brady) or megatron. I don't see any rb's worth taking at 7, especially because I have lynch later. So the first round will be determined for me with whomever is left (brees, brady or megatron).

do I load up on wr's in the next couple of rounds and then go after a bunch of mid round rb's to pair with Lynch or is there another rb worth taking in rounds 2 or 3 that I should pass on a receiver?

It seems there are a ton of wr's this year and very few rb's. I understand you guys don't know the other players being kept in the league, but I am looking for a general idea. Players typically get drafted 1.5 rounds higher than their adp due to the keepers.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

Most of the top te's are kept, so that rules them out.

Like you said WR is deep, so I would try to hit a homerun at RB with McFadden or Charles. Having 2 elite RB's seems like a huge advantage in your format. The 3 pnts for passing TD's scares me off an elite QB actually. You know with this low a point for passing TD rushing QB's like Vick and Newton are probably even more valuable than usual.

Having only 2 WR spots and no flex though you need to get a legit #1WR too.

So I think, either RB/WR or WR/RB is your best bet and get a mid tier QB like Vick in the third (which I feels like screaming good value to me) and an upside QB later. This balances your roster and lets you draft for value and when players slip. If you went WR/QB early I would argue you would need 3-4 mid round RB selections even with Lynch on board to stabilize that position.