Sign in to follow this  
vegassandwich227

Coming off a bye week

Was wondering if anyone had any record of how teams, or more importantly, players, do the week they come back off a bye week. Common logic would suggest they'd perform better than average (average for that player, that is) for the week they return, since they had an extra week to get healthy. But, it wouldn't shock me if the stats show that the extra week is either meaningless or even a detriment (I guess the logic could be that they lose their intensity and come out flat). Have any of you seen any data on this?

Similarly, I'd think it would be interesting to look at how players are affected by Thursday night games...both (1) how they do on that Thursday, with the short rest and (2) how they do the following week, with the extra rest.

I'd be willing to bet that there is some difference, though quantifying the true correlation may be quite difficult (would have to take into account schedule strength, health of the player going into the bye week, how far into the season the bye occurs...the math geek in me would love to get my hands on a bunch of data and run some linear regressions...but who has the time?).

I recently saw an article on how poorly East Coast teams perform when they play Monday night games on the west coast. It was a pretty significant impact, so I'd expect amount of rest has to play some role.