Sign in to follow this  
Running Rebel

League scoring rules and drafting appropriately

Newbie to the forum. I've been looking for some advice and hope to add something interesting as well. I think league scoring rules grossly distort draft projections.

I'll post the final top 2012 stats for my competetive 12 person $200 fee league fee based on our rules. I think people will be surprised especially if they have similar scoring.

It's just a standard league, no PPR. 1 QB, 2RB, 2WR, 1 TE, 1K, 1Def

1 Pt/ 10 yards rushing and recieving. 1 pt 25 pts passing.

6 point TD's. 4 Pt passing TD.

* 5 pts for 100 yard rushing or receiving game. 5 pts for 300 yard passing game.

No point deductions for interceptions or fumbles except for defenses

Run at cbssportsline where I grabbed the stats.

The little twist which many leagues have using bonus points or not having pt deductions makes huge differences.

Totals from last year.

QB

Brees 456
Brady 397
Romo 374
Stafford 367
Rodgers 350
Manning 348
Ryan 339
Newton 336
Griffin 318
Luck 305
Wilson 284

Running Back

AP 377
Morris 279
Lynch 270
Foster 251
Martin 248
Charles 209
Rice 206
Ridley 191
Richardson 187
Gore 182
CJohnson 167
Forte 164
Bush 160

Wide Reciever

CalvinJ 298
Marshall 224
AJohnson 210
Dez 204
DemThom 195
AJ Green 194
VJax 180
EDecker 176
J Jones 172
Roddy W 169
MColston 168

I made some highlights to illustrate my point. Does anyone else use this or similar rules in the league?

Now my question, which is similar to the drafting 10th pick thread going on right now. We are going to have a huge run on RB's like anyone else this year. Likely 11 of first 12 picks. Only I draft 8th. I have always been a RB/RB proponent, but this is interesting. I am seriously thinking of going 1.Calvin Johnson 2. Drew Brees.

I have mock drafted the following a couple times so far,

1. Calvin

2. Brees

3. L Bell

4. Lacy (other similar RB choices @ 3 and 4)

5. Vernon Davis

6 Vereen or D. Richardson

7. Shorts, Jennings, Austin

I know I am risking a ton with my RB situation, and plan on drafting 2 more in the next couple rounds but I think I am more than making up for it with CJohnson and Brees. Also, I think WR's are deep this year. One other note, I think Vernon Davis is going to have a great year and offer huge value as well since he is going to be playing more of a WR and part of my strategy.

I am looking for thoughts on what you would do with the 8th pick. RB/RB? CJ/RB? WR/WR?

Oh and looking at the first post, why anyone would take Aaron Rodgers early, let alone first if your league doesn't use negative points is beyond me. If you look at projections around the net experts often list projected yards and scores and where to draft people but doing simple math just doesn't make it add up. Why take Rodgers if he is going to throw for 800 to 1000 less yards than Brees? Romo is so undervalued it isn't funny!

Oh and what has changed that have people drafting Alfred Morris 10-12?? I hear sophomore jinx, really?? That's the reasoning?