Sign in to follow this  
Alleyoop

New h2h PPR league ESPN $130

I've run a league (UFL) for about 20 years. The rules are fairly standard (reply here and I'll send) - PPR scoring, h2h with 3 divisions, owners in each division play each other 2 times and the other 8 teams 1 time (14 week regular season). Division winners and team with most ytd points that didn't win division go to playoffs, which happen in weeks 15 and 16. Fee is $130, and all is paid out. Largest prizes are for week 1-16 total pts 1st and 2nd, and 1st and 2nd in playoffs. Payouts for every h2h win, winning division, being the wildcard, highest score in weeks 15, 16 and 17. It is on ESPN.

This year I'm starting a new league with everything the same as UFL with 2 exceptions:
1) We'll use a slow auction on couchmanagers.com for the draft. This will start on 8/22 and should take 10-14 days. Slow auctions are a blast! There are 24 players up for auction at all times, and you have up to 12 hours to make a bid on any player.
2) For this season we will have no trading. With some of the owners already familiar with each other from UFL, trading may put the new owners at a disadvantage. If trading is desired, we can have it, but I'd prefer to wait until the 2nd season of the league.
I am not partial to LeagueSafe (cumbersome, has fees, and not necessary IMO). If you have any concerns, I'll put you in touch with the owners who are coming to this league from UFL, and they'll vouch that I'm honest, fair, and capable. If it winds up being a deal-breaker (i.e. we can't find enough owners without LeagueSafe), we can use it. I just hate to waste the league's money. Note that I'm very strict with money - everyone must pay well before the start of the draft or you'll be replaced.
We currently have 5 owners, and I'd like to have 12. Please reply here with questions or to indicate your interest, and give me a way to contact you with rules and other league details. The league site is http://games.espn.com/ffl/leagueoffice?leagueId=421318. I don't know if you'll need to be invited to see the details. If so, let me know and I'll send an invite.
Hope you decide to join!

We currently have 8 owners. The league is definitely a "go". Please join us. The slow auction will begin on Monday 8/22 in the evening.

Here are the rules details:

Franchise Fee $130.00

(All below assumes that we have 10 teams – it will be adjusted appropriately if we have more or less than that)

H2H Wins (Weeks 1 - 14) $5.00 (70) = $350
Super Bowl Winner $215.00 (1) = $215
Runner Up $98.50 (1) = $98.50
Division Winners $50.00 (3) = $150
Wildcard $50.00 (1) = $50

Highest points week 15 $40.00 (1) = $40
Highest points week 16 $40.00 (1) = $40
Highest points week 17 $40.00 (1) = $40
1st in total points after weeks (1-16) $215.00 (1) = $215
2nd in points after weeks (1-16) $98.50 (1) = $98.50
$1300 collected minus $3 CM = $1297 in prizes. = $1297 (total)

Draft - We will do a full SLOW auction of all players (16 players per team) with a budget of $200 play money.
Divisions - There will be three divisions in the UFL. Two divisions will have 3 teams, and one will have 4. 4-team division will play all teams in their own division 2 times, and 8 random teams outside their division to fill the other games. 3-team divisions will play all teams in their own division 3 times, and 8 random teams outside their division to fill the other games (14 weeks). (I may have to tweak this some as I figure out the specifics, but the idea is you play your division teams more)
Playoffs - The winner of each division (best win/loss record, with total points settling tied records, and head to head being the 3rd tie breaker if necessary) moves on to the UFL Semifinal Championships. The other playoff team (wildcard) is the team who did not win their division, but which had the most ytd points through week 14. In the first round of the playoffs (week 15) the highest scoring team will play the lowest scoring team. The other two playoff teams play each other. The UFL Slow Auction Super Bowl, between the winners of the first round of the playoffs, will be held in week 16.
Lineups - We start 1qb, 2rb, 2wr, 1 te, 2 flex (rb, wr or te), 1k, 1 d/st. Lineups can be changed up until kickoff of each game. After kickoff, any player who was in your lineup from that game is locked into the lineup, and any player who was on your bench from that game is locked onto your bench (for that weekend's games). If too few players are active at any lineup position, the vacant spot(s) score 0 points. If too many players are active at any lineup position, the player(s) who scored the highest points for that week will be treated as inactive.
Pick Ups - We'll use ESPN's waiver process, with a 2-day wait on dropped players. The waiver order will determined at random after the auction and will not reset based on standings. When you add a player you go to the bottom of the order.
Trades -There will be no trades this first season. We’ll vote next off-season to decide if we want to add trading.
Commissioner - The commissioner will make decisions on any disputes. If the commissioner is involved, the owner with the highest ytd points will substitute for the commissioner. The commissioner oversees play and enforces the rules. The commissioner has the right and responsibility to uphold the rules as outlined within these pages. The commissioner also has the right to set procedures and policies for the league as needed. Scoring is as the site scores it, unless there is a definite "bug". If so, report this to the commissioner as soon as you see it. He'll try to get it resolved through the site administrator, or manually override the incorrect scoring. Odd plays, such as laterals and fumble recoveries for touchdowns will be scored as the ESPN site scores them.

Scoring - The scoring is set up on the league’s site. The settings there are “official”. What follows here is a summary:

Pass TD 4, Pass Yd .5 per 10, Int -1, 2pt pass 1

Rush TD 6, Rush Yd .1 per 1, 2pt rush 2

Rec TD 6, Rec Yd .1 per 1, 2pt rec 2, any Rec 1

Kick return TD 6, Punt return TD 6, Fum rec TD 6, Fum return TD 6, Int return TD 6

PAT 1, FG 0-39 3, FG 40-49 4, FG 50+ 5

Sack 1, Int 1, Fum rec 1, Safety 1, Kick ret TD 6, Punt ret TD 6, Block kick TD 6, Int ret TD 6, Fum ret TD 6, 0 pts allowed 10, 1-6 pts all 8, 7-13 pts all 6, 14-17 pts all 4, 18-21 pts all 2

i'm fascinated by the idea of a slow auction. Would love to know more. Very interested.

but wouldn't it take so long that it would overlap the start of the league. I can't get my head around how a slow auction works

I'll give a summary of how it works here. If you want more info/details, send me a PM with your email address, and I'll explain more via email. The auction will start on Mon 8/22 at 7pm Eastern on couchmanagers.com. I've created the slow auction there already. We probably will have 12 teams (10 now, pretty solid). Within the first hour, every owner must nominate 2 players who haven't already been nominated. So there will be 24 players up for bids, all having a current high bid of whatever the guy who nominated put as his opening bid (usually 1), or whatever somebody else outbid the nominator. When a guy is nominated, his 12 hr countdown clock starts. If somebody else bids more than the current bid for a player, the new guy and his bid now have the current high bid on the player, and his 12 hr clock starts over. There's also a "max bid" feature like eBay, so you can bid 12 for a guy and say you want him for up to 15. Your displayed bid is 12. If somebody bids 13, it keeps you as the bidder and increases your bid to 13. It goes like this until 12 hours goes by with nobody making a bid higher than the max bid of the guy who has the player. At that point, he goes to their roster. The owner who nominated the guy who was sold now has to nominate a new player. Eventually, all 12 teams wind up with 16 players each. You can bid on as many players as you want at one time (up to your roster size), but the bids you make where you have the current high bid subtract from your bidding budget. In practice, owners are usually bidding on 4 or 5 guys at one time, sometimes less.

I understand the concern that it will take forever. I thought that at first, too. I've done 4 or 5 of these, and they've all taken about two weeks, maybe a little less. What usually happens is that the first guy sold takes 48 hours or so. Then a few more get sold soon after. The original 24 guys are sold within a week. Meanwhile, more guys are nominated, bid on, and sold. The pace is slow initially, because the nominated players are usually the best players, get a lot of bids, and owners are hoping to get them as cheaply as possible. It gradually picks up pace. By the end, most players are nominated for $1 or $2 and get sold with no higher bids (so it takes 12 hours for them to be sold). The reason that it completes in two weeks, rather than taking forever, is that the bidding is happening simultaneously. There are 24 guys "in process" all the time, and most owners have bids out there on 1 or more of them all the time.

If we're progressing much more slowly than I expect, I can increase the number of nominations that can be made, and/or decrease the 12 hr clock. I don't expect to have to do either, since we're starting 17 days before the first game.

It is a LOT of fun, and very addicting. In theory you only have to go to the auction site every 10-11 hours, but you'll find that you're there a lot. Have you "sweated" a guy in an auction for 10 seconds, when you have the high bid? Try sweating him for 12 hours. Lots of fun, and sometimes lots of agony, when somebody decides to outbid you for him with 10 minutes left on the clock.

We now have 10 solid owners, all paid and ready to go. Just 2 more openings. If we get 2 more, we'll start the slow auction on Friday, 8/19, rather than waiting until Monday, as long as everyone wants. We're all anxious to fill the league and get the auction started!

Sent the info on couchmanagers and espn, rules, payment, etc. Hope you decide to join. Let me know If you have any questions.

We're still at 10 owners, hoping to get 2 more. The slow auction will start at 7pm Eastern on Monday 8/22. Join us!

We have had so much fun it the slow auction for this new league that we are starting a 2nd new league. We currently have 6 owners and are looking for 6 more. The rules will be similar to the other new league (see above). If the majority of the owners prefer we will have trading. We're replacing the 2nd flex lineup spot with a superflex (can have any player there, including a qb). Any changes the majority of the owners want, we'll do. We'll change the slow auction timing and setup a little to make sure we can finish before the first game. The auction will start shortly after we fill, which should be no later than Friday 9/2.

Reply here with your email address, or send me a PM, and I'll give you access to the auction and league web site.

Let me know if you have any questions. I hope you decide to join us.