Sign in to follow this  
bigHC

Early 2nd round Decision

I'm drafting 8th in a 10 team league.

What, in your opinion, are the pros and cons of going RB, WR as compared to RB, RB?

I'm thinking guys like Caddy and Ronnie Brown are not worth the risk when Steve Smith or Chad Johnson could be had. (Yes, I was burned by Kevin Jones).

I could grab a Rueben Droughns type in the third and still be set. Waiting till the 3rd round for a WR leaves me with risky WR like Javon Walker or Darrell Jackson.

My league starts 1 rb, 2 wr, and 1 rb/wr, 1 qb, 1 def, 1 k.

All input is appreciated.

Well im drafting in the same position in my league. I am happy im 8th cause if your not one of the top three then being at the bottom has its advantages. First question about taking a top WR in the second. Can you for sure predict who is going to be the best WR out of say TO, S. Smith, T. Holt, R.Moss. No not really is the answer. You will see you will be able to get someone like Ronnie Brown or maybe Caddy or even McGahee who just got good news saying he will get 3rd down carries now. That will give you two pretty darn good backs. Then in the Third while other teams are scrambling for so so RBs you can get WR's like Plaxico, R. Williams or even maybe A.Boldin who I have seen drop that far. It makes much more sense to take that RB in that position IMO.

I'm drafting 8th in a 10 team league.

What, in your opinion, are the pros and cons of going RB, WR as compared to RB, RB?

I'm thinking guys like Caddy and Ronnie Brown are not worth the risk when Steve Smith or Chad Johnson could be had. (Yes, I was burned by Kevin Jones).

I could grab a Rueben Droughns type in the third and still be set. Waiting till the 3rd round for a WR leaves me with risky WR like Javon Walker or Darrell Jackson.

My league starts 1 rb, 2 wr, and 1 rb/wr, 1 qb, 1 def, 1 k.

All input is appreciated.

That's a tough position which has been worrying me for the whole pre-season. If you were drafting from the 1-3 hole, I'd say snag one of the top 6-7 WRs then catch a RB on the comeback. With a 10 team league I'd go RB, especially if a back like Caddy or Brown fall to you. They'd both make great #2s in my book. On the way back you may still be able to get a good WR like Chambers, Wayne, or maybe even Boldin...

Well im drafting in the same position in my league. I am happy im 8th cause if your not one of the top three then being at the bottom has its advantages. First question about taking a top WR in the second. Can you for sure predict who is going to be the best WR out of say TO, S. Smith, T. Holt, R.Moss. No not really is the answer. You will see you will be able to get someone like Ronnie Brown or maybe Caddy or even McGahee who just got good news saying he will get 3rd down carries now. That will give you two pretty darn good backs. Then in the Third while other teams are scrambling for so so RBs you can get WR's like Plaxico, R. Williams or even maybe A.Boldin who I have seen drop that far. It makes much more sense to take that RB in that position IMO.

Bingo.

IMO, you should take your 2nd RB early in the second round. Guys like Boldin, Chambers, and Ward are going to put up numbers that will be in the same ball park as the "top tier" WR's....Conversely I have zero confidence that R. Droughns, K Jones, any of the RB's available late in the third round will be able to compete with McGahee, Cadillac, or Ronnie Brown (who I don't think will slip this far to begin with, but whatever)

I actually just got out of a rather legitimate mock draft (everyone stuck around til near the end and only one autopick prior to the 6th round) from the 8th spot and decided to go WR in the 2nd round. It turned out that I had to go WR in the 3rd too due to availabilty of talent.

1.8 Steven Jackson

2.3 Chad Johnson

3.8 Randy Moss

4.3 Joseph Addai

5.8 Cedric Benson

I think that Benson was a bit of a reach at this point and probably could have gotten him in the 6th. Mark Bulger was available here and I passed on him. Addai has some big upside in the 4th round and will probably make a solid #2. Getting deeper into the draft though, my RBs got pretty weak, but I still managed to get 3 true starters in the first 5 rounds. (8.3 Gore, 11.8 Staley, 14.3 Calhoun)

All in all, not a bad draft out of the first 5 rounds though...

HTH

Go stud WR in the 2nd round unless another RB slips. Caddie and Brown are still relatively unproven. If anyone thinks otherwise think back to the 2005 versions of JJones, KJones and McGahee. I consider Caddie and Brown to carry the same risk, especially with Caddie's injury problem and the fact that neither have ever had to carry a full load.

it's supply and demand ... 10 teams and probably 4 or 5 RB's to draft right? That means anywhere from 40+ RBs will be drafted ... take a look at the RB rankings and tell me what you think of the guys in the 30's and 40's. That should show you why you need to grab RB's while you can. I see roughly 20-25 RB's that I would call quality RBs (ok, maybe not quality RB's, lets call them

servicable). The rest are 2nd stringers. If you wait too long ... you'll be screwing yourself in the end.

There is no right or wrong answer here but from my perspective i think WR's are a bigger gamble that early. If Caddy or Brown are there I think you have to take them. Look at the guy who just completed his mock and passed on the backs in the second. He doesn't have a solid number two. I personally would not be comfortable going into the season without atleast two backs on my team that are if nothing else #1's on there own teams depth charts. The other side here is that it is much easy to trade a 3rd or 4th tier RB for a solid #2 WR then it is to trade a WR for a RB. Just my thoughts. WR's seem to very much more from year to year then RB's. Steve Smith was, in 12 teamers, last year a 5th or 6th round pick.

depends on league size and whether it's PPR or not.

12 teamer, drafting at 1.08 in a PPR it seems like a much stronger play to take a top 3 WR there. Likely to score more then the RB you'd get there, and more importantly, the dropoff between the 2.05 Rb and the 3.08 RB wouldn't be near as great as the dropoff from the 2.05 WR to the 3.08 WR.

But for a 10 teamer, you should still have a rock solid RB available at 2.03, making this a more difficult decision.

If PPR, I'd still go WR at 2.03, then take a RB at 3.08.

If no PPR, go RB RB.

one man's opinion.

1.8 Steven Jackson

2.3 Chad Johnson

3.8 Randy Moss

4.3 Joseph Addai

5.8 Cedric Benson

Though this is only one example, I'm fairly convinced that in a 10-teamer it will make sense to go RB-RB. Moss or another top WR will be there in the third round (as seen above). In a 10-teamer, I'd be happy to get Cadillac or Brown in the 2nd round to complement a first-rounder like Jackson, and picking at 2.03, you wouldn't go wrong grabbing Davis or Westbrook if it's a PPR league.

That said, I think both Benson and Addai have a lot of potential; the team above could be quite strong if the RB's pan out.

In 12 and 14-teamers, I'm thinking that RB-WR is likely the smarter choice since the chances of landing Cadillac, Brown, Davis, or Westbrook are much slimmer (depending on draft position) though I'd still be looking for a RB to fall.

Though this is only one example, I'm fairly convinced that in a 10-teamer it will make sense to go RB-RB. Moss or another top WR will be there in the third round (as seen above). In a 10-teamer, I'd be happy to get Cadillac or Brown in the 2nd round to complement a first-rounder like Jackson, and picking at 2.03, you wouldn't go wrong grabbing Davis or Westbrook if it's a PPR league.

That said, I think both Benson and Addai have a lot of potential; the team above could be quite strong if the RB's pan out.

I agree that RB/RB is the way to start in a 10-team league. To extend that mock a little further, when I took Chad Johnson at 2.3 the RBs on the board at the time were: Lamant Jordan, Rudi Johnson, Domanick Davis, Ronnie Brown, Cad Williams, Willis McGahee and Julius Jones. Jordan and Johnson went 9 and 10 in the first, the rest went in the 2nd round. Immediately following my Chad Johnson pick, however, were Steve Smith and T.O. Torry Holt went 2.8 with Jones on the board and Fitz went at 2.10. Taking Jackson in the 1st and Cadillac in the 2nd looks like a viable option, especially if Holt falls to you in the 3rd. Cadillac has a lot more upside than Addai or Benson, and those two could still be there in the 4th.

I think the real dilhemma would be if Peyton drops to 8 in the first round (went at 7 in this mock). In that spot, you'd end up with Cadillac or Brown as your #1 and your #2 coming in the 3rd round becomes someone in the range of Reuben Droughns or Brian Westbrook. I'd probably go Droughns there since Westy won't get as many redzone/goal line touches...but then your WRs suffer....oh the fun of it all!

http://games.espn.go.com/ffl/mockdraftlobby mocks running all the time.

at pick 13, it's hard telling what will be around. What if, for some wierd reason Peyton drops that far, then you have to take him at 13, or what if you take Peyton 8 and caddy, ronny, or Willis 13, that's not a bad combo either, then take WR at your next two picks in rounds 3/4. But, I think it is hard judging WR value before preseason. I traded away Chambers and Ward for Randy last year, and you all know I didn't get the best deal off that one.

i would go rb in round 1 and stud , and i mean stud reciever in round 2 . then look for someone like addai , tatum bell or cedric benson in rounds 4 or 5

I'm picking 12 in a 12 man redraft. I am not happy, haha.

I'm not really sure what to do since I will have no idea what will happen in front of me. For Arguments sake...let's say L. Johnson, Alexander, LT, Portis, and Tiki are definitely off the board. My league is kind of weird, our draft was really screwy last year, so I'd expect the same this year. So I might be expecting some RB's to fall. I've come up with 3 scenarios.

RB's fall and I can grab 2 of the following:Jackson, Jordan, Johnson, Williams, Brown. I feel like this is somethign that could happen. I limit it to these names, cause I'm sure the top 6 guys will be gone, and the guys after this: Mcgahee, Davis...I'm not too thrilled about. I feel like if I could get two of those 5 guys I'd take two back to back.

Other option is...what if only one of those guys is left, and so is Manning. Do I go RB-Manning, or do I go RB-Stud WR. This is the dilemma I'm having. I don't know if it's worth taking Manning that early if he's there. Especially after last year when he was behind Palmer, and in our league he was only two pts ahead of Brady and Brady didn't go till the 4th.

I was going to say the other option would be Manning-WR, but that just seems lidicrous. I can't see coming out of the first two rounds with no RB's. I think that would be a huge mistake. I'd basically then have to spend the next couple rounds assembling scrap RB's, which I'd be locked into while everyone else just builds their teams up.

What does everyone else think about these options? Which scenario sounds the best?

Immediately following my Chad Johnson pick, however, were Steve Smith and T.O. Torry Holt went 2.8 with Jones on the board and Fitz went at 2.10.

I'm curious why you went with CJ as the first WR taken in the draft?

The short : Cuz I think he's the best WR in the game this year.

Now that Palmer looks like he's going to be healthy, Johnson's numbers will be at the top of the list. I don't like to jump on the bandwagons too quick with Steve Smith. I had him on my team last year through a sweet even-up trade for Kerry Collins a week before he blew up....but I don't see him repeating this year. He'll put up stellar numbers for sure, but Johnson will probably go 100/1500/10 this year and I don't think Smith can meet those numbers. Unbelieveably, the entire Cincinnatti offense is explosive....Steve Smith is explosive in Carolina. If Foster stays healthy and Keyshawn draws attention, absolutely Smith is right there but its still essentially a coin flip between the two IMO.

T.O. is out of the question as a #1 overall. :HYPE: It's a Tuna offense with Bledsoe slinging, so he'll probably catch somewhere in the range of 80 balls this year and put up around 1200-1300 yards. Boldin will probably do the same and yet most everyone has him ranked just barely in the top 10.

I like Torry Holt too, but injury possibilities keep him lower. In the end, Chad Johnson will catch more passes for more yards and double-digit touchdowns. That's why I have him as the number 1 WR taken.

My honest assessment would be:

1. CJ

2. Smith

3. Holt

4. Fitz

5. Boldin

6. TO

but you have to follow the hype (and the herd) somewhat so TO is always going to go higher than 6 and Boldin will go lower than 5.

EDIT: I kind of have to retread on this one a bit....it's almost a 3a. 3b. 3c. kind of stretch. Randy and Marvin have to find a spot somewhere in the top 10 too. 13 WRs and only 10 spots in the top 10...I honestly have had more trouble breaking down WR's than any other spot on the board this year....

"Krokus" :doublethumbsup:

We all know CJ is the best wr in the game....or is it Moss and his incredible downfield ability....or is it the consistant Mr. Holt....or is it Marvin in that high powered offense....then there's Steve who was a miracle at wr last year...we can't forget about Larry and Anquan?!

This is the toughest year to decipher who is the best wr.

I think this is the year that Rae Carruth will "break out"!

If all these later starting RBs keep ending up on the PUP lists...grabbing that RB in the 2nd is looking more and more likely.