Sign in to follow this  
c_Weezie

Drafting Strategy Questions.....

What to do ??  

2 members have voted

1. 1. What should I do w/ the 10th pick ??

• RB,RB....WR,WR
    • RB,WR....RB,WR
    • RB,RB.....RB,WR (then take a couple of WRs w/ my next picks)

I am pretty convinced that I should go RB-RB at 10 and 11, b/c someone always takes Manning and few people always take a couple of WRs. BUT I am not sure what do w/ the next two picks. I have noticed that when I go RB, RB, WR, WR that after the draft snakes back to me there are no RBs I would be pleased w/ having as my #3 back.....

So what should I do ?? Explanation would be nice as well. Thanks I appreciate it.

I like the idea of taking 3 Rbs with the first 4 picks. Then take 2 WRs at pick 50 and 51.

My team could look like this:

1.10 Rudi Johnson

2.01 Ronnie Brown

3.10 Corey Dillon / KJ / JJ / J-Lew / Chester Taylor / Addai / Deshaun /Westy (always falls in my league)

4.01 Chris Chambers / Reggie Wayne / Santana Moss / maybe Anquan Boldin

5.10 Donald Driver

6.01 maybe Djax, maybe Plaxico, maybe Roy Williams

I think all of this players could be selected at these ^^ positions. Any input would be good. Gracias

Never pre determine what you will do. How do you know what will fall to you?

I would take the best two available talents. If Manning falls to you...grab him! If your top rated wr is there why not grab him....as long as you do a good job drafting, you'll get your rb's. Even if you have to handcuff rb's to ensure you get the starter....that's okay.

You know how the analysts are always talking about NFL teams that have a balanced attack? I think it works in fantasy ball too. If you try to snag a bunch of RB's in the first 4 picks, you'll end up with the two 3rd tier "studs" at 10 and 11 and two 4th or 5th tier ... yeah, who?s ... at 30 and 31. The backs you have listed at 3.10 could easily still be available in any denomination in the 5th round. Lots of risk and watered-down talent there. Remember there are 9 other guys pealing off the top in better draft positions than you. You need to get what you can where you can.

That said, always stay flexible in your plan and don't strap yourself to an idea because you might get smoked. If you stick with a RB/RB/RB/WR/WR plan, sorry to say but your WRs are gonna suck and the back you get as a #3 RB is going to be a risk whether you go here or say, the 6th round. My opinion is that a good WR is better than a slouch RB no matter what the point system of your league. The talent at WR drops off like a cliff. There's some snacks out deep in RB land, but you have to do your research.

Balance.

You know how the analysts are always talking about NFL teams that have a balanced attack? I think it works in fantasy ball too. If you try to snag a bunch of RB's in the first 4 picks, you'll end up with the two 3rd tier "studs" at 10 and 11 and two 4th or 5th tier ... yeah, who?s ... at 30 and 31. The backs you have listed at 3.10 could easily still be available in any denomination in the 5th round. Lots of risk and watered-down talent there. Remember there are 9 other guys pealing off the top in better draft positions than you. You need to get what you can where you can.

That said, always stay flexible in your plan and don't strap yourself to an idea because you might get smoked. If you stick with a RB/RB/RB/WR/WR plan, sorry to say but your WRs are gonna suck and the back you get as a #3 RB is going to be a risk whether you go here or say, the 6th round. My opinion is that a good WR is better than a slouch RB no matter what the point system of your league. The talent at WR drops off like a cliff. There's some snacks out deep in RB land, but you have to do your research.

Balance.

You see, I was thinking the exact opposite. I thought that the RB talent would have a huge drop off from 4/5 to 6/7, I didnt see much difference in taking Santana Moss in the 4th round, or taking Donald Driver in the 5/6th round. But I see what you guys are saying about not cementing any draft strategy, I'll just keep it flexible and see were the players fall. Thanks for the advice.

I like the idea of taking 3 Rbs with the first 4 picks. Then take 2 WRs at pick 50 and 51.

My team could look like this:

1.10 Rudi Johnson

2.01 Ronnie Brown

3.10 Corey Dillon / KJ / JJ / J-Lew / Chester Taylor / Addai / Deshaun /Westy (always falls in my league)

4.01 Chris Chambers / Reggie Wayne / Santana Moss / maybe Anquan Boldin

5.10 Donald Driver

6.01 maybe Djax, maybe Plaxico, maybe Roy Williams

I think all of this players could be selected at these ^^ positions. Any input would be good. Gracias

While you have to remain flexible, having a draft plan is a must. Make a Tier list for every position. If two Tier 1 RBs fall to you at 10/11 like Rudi and Ronnie, take them. If you only see one Tier 1 RB left, give serious consideration to taking a RB/WR.

After that, adjust for the 3rd round, but keep in mind that you don't want to stick to a strict draft plan and ignore the best available player. Also, you don't want to start securing back-ups, like 3 RBs, until you have some depth at your other skill positions. Some of the RBs you list in the 3rd round should be available in the 5th and 6th rounds in a 10 team league.

Also, consider what your opponents have drafted and how the draft has progressed. If there is a run on WR and you're deciding between the one top ranked WR left and some RBs who are essentially the same, grab that WR before the value plummets. And vice versa. But, be wary of falling into the "Ut-oh, look at all the WRs that just went! I need a WR NOW!". If you slip into that panic mode, you may sacrifice value for perceived security. In addition, if you see that all of your opponents have secured two starting RBs, it's a safe bet that a ) a run on WRs is about to happen and b ) you can probably hold off on RBs for a few rounds and get some very good value.

So have a few draft plans intact and rank each position in Tiers. Then, remember to be flexible, thoughtful and patient during the draft.

Good luck!

I am in a similar situation with the 10th pick in a 12 team league. There is such a premium on having good rb's that I think I am also going to try to take 3 RB's with my first 4 picks. Of course, you have to keep options open. I am going to print off the fftoday tierings and use those as a guide. Like others have mentioned, there is a clear separation between the top 2 or 3 at each position. If I can't get Manning with the 10th, then I may go RB-RB or RB-WR and wait until a later round to draft a QB. Last year I took Bulger with a 4th round pick, which was probably a little early. Also, I am not even going to consider DEF, K, and TE until much later in the draft, only to fill the required spots. I would much rather take chances on backup and rookies at RB and WR. My achilles last year was not having a top tier receiver and having to trade for one. I managed to pull off a trade for Fitzgerald, but I had to give up some depth at RB to do it. Like others have said, you want to have an idea of when to draft at a position, but it is best to maintain flexibility. For example, I will take Manning at 10th pick if available, or probably wait until the 5th round or so for a QB if not.

Hope this helps.

Please see mine.

http://www.fftodayforums.com/forum/index.p...howtopic=220215