Sign in to follow this  
Mike MacGregor

* Compiler/Buddy Frequently Asked Questions *

Where are the instructions for this thing?

Compiler/Buddy Help Guide

How do I enter backups in the Compiler? My league does not specify a certain number of backups by position.

In leagues that don’t have a limit on the number of backups by position you should enter the backups as you expect most teams to draft. So, you have some flexibility, but you should use something reasonable so the value calculations work out okay. It will not have a major impact on the overall rankings, but it could if you say, overweighted one position too much.

Also note you can use decimals, so for example if you expect half the teams to draft 1 RB backup, and half to draft 2 RB backups, then enter your backup RB as 1.5. Still try to keep the total backups you input to equal the total backup spots in your league.

I changed the scoring, and other settings, but why aren't my overall rankings updated to reflect this?

You need to hit Compile Cheatsheets after making changes to the setup or scoring tabs to see the impact of those changes on the cheatsheets tab. You can find that button on the setup tab.

Why are there only X players on my overall cheatsheet? I need more.

The Compiler will construct an overall list based on the inputs on your setup tab. Specifically, it is your number of starters + number of backups, less positions excluded from overall multiplied by the number of teams.

The Compiler does this because beyond this the value calculations are not relevant. However, the offense cheatsheet (ranking by position) always fills completely with 60 QB, 100 RB, 100 WR, etc. , so you'll never run out of players in that respect. I would even suggest that by the time you are near the end of the draft, you are filling in team needs anyway, so you are better off using the offense cheatsheet.

Why isn't my overall cheatsheet sorted by fantasy points? What is the value calculation?

Please refer to this discussion to better understand the value calculations that create the overall rankings.

Why aren't my changes in the Compiler being saved? I did save the file before exiting.

Are you opening the file each time from the .exe file you downloaded? You only need to do that once, which installs the Compiler and Buddy in a directory /Program Files/Cheatsheet Compiler/

From then on, from Excel choose File > Open, browse to that directory, select file and open. If you keep hitting the .exe file to start working in the Compiler, then it just overwrites your Compiler with the changes in it.

Why can't I update projections? I get error 1004.

It may be that you have a firewall preventing Excel from accessing the Internet. In this case, you should disable the firewall temporarily, run the update and then turn the firewall back on.

Where is Draft Buddy? I can't find it.

Draft Buddy is in the same download file as the Compiler.

If you used the self-extracting zip file download, then check the directory /Program Files/Cheatsheet Compiler/ on your computer. Both the Compiler and Buddy files should have been saved there by default, but only the Compiler opens by default when you unzip the download file. From Excel, choose File > Open, browse to that directory, select the Draft Buddy file and click Open.

Why can't I select players in Draft Buddy?

On the draft input or auction input tab, you need to select the position first, under Pos, and then the player drop-down should appear under the Player column.

What is the best way to view bye weeks for my players during my draft?

On the by team tab, there is a small “+” sign above your team (and all the other teams). Click that.

When I re-rank players on the offense tab in Draft Buddy, why don't the overall rankings change?

By the time you’ve pulled the Compiler cheatsheets into Buddy, the offense and overall cheatsheets are not connected. So, you can re-rank the players on the offense cheatsheet, but this will not change the overall rankings cheatsheet. The overall rankings are purely numbers driven based on value. If you want to change them all together, then you’re going to have to edit the projections in the Compiler, and then run Compile Cheatsheets again to reflect those changes.

Now, what you could do if you want to adjust your overall rankings, is you could use the cheatsheet on the right (no formulas), edit the rank numbers, highlight the section and use Data > Sort to re-rank them.

Once I setup a league in Draft Buddy, does it update with the new projections downloaded to the Compiler?

Not automatically, since the Compiler and Buddy are separate files.

To pull the Compiler info with the updated projections over to Buddy, run the Draft Buddy setup again. The only catch is if you've already entered some keepers or draft picks, then you want to make sure you uncheck the "Clear Keepers and Draft Picks" checkbox beside the setup button in Buddy. Then run the setup.

How do I get my other leagues from the Compiler to import into Draft Buddy?

Buddy will import whichever league is the current active league in the Compiler. So, select the league you want in the Compiler, hit Compile Cheatsheets, and then go to Buddy and run the setup. Save that Buddy file as a different name. You can select File > Save As.. or use the "Save As.. League Name_Buddy.xls" button on the setup tab in Buddy.

Then go back to the Compiler, select a different league, hit Compile Cheatsheets, go to Buddy and run the setup. Save again. Now you have a Buddy file for each league.

Where is Projection Pal? I can't find it.

Projection Pal is a separate download from the same page as the Compiler download, here. The Pal download link is in a small box to the right of the Compiler download links.

Do I need Projection Pal?

Projection Pal is a completely optional piece of the whole package. If you just want to use the FF Today projections that are already included in the Compiler, than you don’t need Projection Pal. It only comes into play if you want to try to grab projections from somewhere else (another website) and import them into the Compiler. Whether this is advantageous or not is up for debate, but people do like the option which is why it is there.

Where is the $5,000 Survivor Contest? I can't find it.

Survivor Contest

What do people do when one wants to have the Program downloaded to a laptop for use on draft night but also access on a separate PC otherwise? I have not purchased it yet.

Irish Crush

What do people do when one wants to have the Program downloaded to a laptop for use on draft night but also access on a separate PC otherwise? I have not purchased it yet.

Irish Crush

Hi I.C. The files copy between computers pretty easy. There is one file for the Compiler, and one file for Buddy plus some small miscellaneous sound files. The files are a fair size, so maybe not that suitable for email (but doable). The best way to copy them is on a jump (USB) drive, or onto a CD, and then off the CD onto the second computer.

In the SETUP tab in the draft buddy there is room to enter up to 20 teams for a draft yet only 12 show up on the SUMMARY and DRAFT INPUT tabs.

I am in a 14 team league and have entered all 14 team names yet I can only view 12 in any other tab.

Help! My draft is on Monday.

Thanks,

Dave

ps first year using the compiler due to time restraints on my own research and so far it looks fantastic

Hi Dave. Monday? Lots of time... assuming you spend the whole long weekend indoors cramming :(

You should work in the Compiler first. On the setup tab in the Compiler you will set the number of teams, amongst other things. Hit Compile Cheatsheets. Then go to Buddy and run the Draft Buddy setup. This will pull over your Compiler created cheatsheets and prep the other tabs for your league with 14 teams.

Hi Dave. Monday? Lots of time... assuming you spend the whole long weekend indoors cramming :P

You should work in the Compiler first. On the setup tab in the Compiler you will set the number of teams, amongst other things. Hit Compile Cheatsheets. Then go to Buddy and run the Draft Buddy setup. This will pull over your Compiler created cheatsheets and prep the other tabs for your league with 14 teams.

Thanks Mike, I had just figured it out by reading some of the FAQ stuff (novel approach, eh?)

I am feeling groovy now!!

:rolleyes: