Sign in to follow this  
redleader2

Auction draft question

We've got a league where our unused auction money becomes our FAAB for the regular season. So if I've got $400 to spend but I only want to budget $300(ish) for the auction, I assume I should enter $300 as my total amount in Draft Buddy. Will that cause problems if other owners are less conservative and spend $325 or $350 or more?

Hi redleader. Try this instead... put in the $400 on the rules tab and turn keepers on (just set max keepers to 1, do not cost a draft pick). Then, after you hit Compile Cheatsheets, go to the keepers tab and you'll see across the top near each of the team names a small yellow box for "dead cap". Put the amount you want to save and how much you expect each team to save there. The player values should adjust accordingly per inflation feature.

The other way, now I think about how I've done it in the past, is what you are suggesting. Just adjust down the salary cap for every team. I'd try to use the average all teams will spend rather than your own spend number especially if you think it is more conservative.

Saving $100 out of $400 seems like a lot. Wouldn't most of the FAAB go for $1 after the season starts? In my league with a $500 cap and remainder for FAAB, I usually save about $20 and that does me fine for the season. I usually have one of the highest amounts left over. Figure you'll spend $1 / week on average (some weeks get a couple players, some weeks get none), plus you might want to drop a higher amount on a guy or two early in the season who unexpectedly breaks out. Just some things to think about. Wouldn't want to see you grossly underspend at the auction which can make for a long season.