Sign in to follow this  
bobpate17

What about gates?

My team is in my signature. I have gates at my TE but it seems like he is not going to do much since rives doesn't throw much. He only had 2 passes last game. luckely he got TD. but I dont' think this is going to happen every week. He won't be nearly as good as he was last year. should I think about trading him and getting another TE and get better WR while he has some value.

thanks

I would hold him. Even when the passing game is not nearly as it used to, Chargers will eventually start passing again (probably not as last season) but be sure that when they get near the end zone, passing the ball just to change things a bit will be an option and Gates is the man to throw the ball to. Oak's rush defense is not that good so thet also got into the mix of using the running game THAT desproportionately.

Of course it depends on which reciever you could get but im talking tops here.

http://www.fftodayforums.com/forum/index.p...howtopic=232834

You have to keep him. He will not dissapoint, he's just got too much talent. SD will throw more, you have to take into account that they were playing the Raiders, and their D was in control the entire game. When they face more of a challenge, Gates WILL light it up again. Rivers will look to him early and often.

Thanks for mine.

You should hold him for now. Rivers will prove to the coaches that he should throw it more than 11 times a game once he gets comfortable. We all know Gates will see a lot of targets once the throwing increases.

Thanks for answering mine.

UNless you have someone who's willing to give you a top tier WR and an OK TE for him, I'd hold onto him. Rivers seemed like he was feeling pretty comfortable, and for a new QB, the TE is a great dump pass opportunity.

if you can get another good TE and a position you need to upgrade, I'd do it. i personally like ben watson ALOT and think he could be the next gates in an offense that loves to pass. if you can grab him and another guy, do it.

Agree too early to overreact after one game. He is one of their top options (outside of LT).

I would follow the trend, certainly if it continues for next few weeks and you can get a good WR in exchange I would consider it than

well, I think you may be overreacting a bit, and maybe your expectations for gates were a little high.

I kinda figured that the Chargers would play a very conservative offense the first 5 or 6 games and will gradually open things up as Rivers gains confidence and as he gets better as a player.

I still think this will be the case.

Gates numbers wont be stellar for the next few games, but as the offense opens up his numbers will gradually go back to normal.

I wouldnt trade gates unless you feel his performance may hinder you from making the playoffs. However, he will be going at pretty close to capacity by week 10. This is the time when performance matters. The playoffs is what makes or breaks your season. The regular season just eliminates the pretenders.