Sign in to follow this  
quentinfox

Who to keep? This week + long term value?

We're in week 2 of our playoffs. I've got a very good shot at getting to our super bowl, so here's the dilemma.

I have Cutler and Branch currently on my roster.

This weekend, I'm playing Fitzgerald and Jennings (playing Detroit). Mark Clayton (playing the Browns) is available on my waiver wire, so I could pick him up for a one week hit this season then keep him in my dynasty league.

Here are my concerns...

I think Branch and Clayton are about equal. Branch is in a better system with a better QB, but I think Clayton will be the man in Baltimore next year.

I think Cutler has potential, but honestly is probably trade bait for me. Palmer and Leinart are my other QB's.

So, bottom line, in a dynasty league which two of the three would you keep and why? Leave a link and I'll respond to yours. Thanks.

I agree with Jazzy Jeff...but if you don't have to work a deal fast...Leinart may be the one to keep long terms. Denver is a running team and alway will be. Look at the receivers in AZ...

Keep Leinart, he's doing really well behind an iffy line. If Arizona does anything next year they should make an attempt to build up their line. Boldin, Fitz and Johnson are young and getting better. I agree with your choice of using Cutler for trade bait...and I like Clayton, but not enough to drop Branch for him.

when do you have to announce your keepers?

and how many are you allowed to keep? and what are the keeper rules?

and what does your lineup look like?

we need this info to give you a proper answer.

assuming the players mentioned are your best players, here is my advice:

1) if you need to declare your keepers sometime next year (ie. July) I would keep all of them and wait to see what kind of offseason moves are made before dealing Cutler or Lienert.

with a young QB, offseason moves can make a world of difference in production from one year to another. So if no decision needs to be made until next year sometime... I'd hold off on trading unless someone gives you a really good offer that you'd be dumb to say no to. (and this sometimes happens)

2) if you declare your keepers at the end of the season you need to pick a guy and go with him.

Cutler is in a very good system with a very good coach. . While Lienert may have progressed further this season, that is only because he has been in the lineup almost all year. He's clearly on a weaker team with less talent.... but as mentioned in my first point, offseason moves can make a big difference to a guy like him.

Based on the above I'd probably take Cutler unless Lienert pulls an amazing comeback in leading his team to the playoffs. If this happens, I'd be inclined to believe this kid may be better than we all thought.

anyhow, I didnt really answer much... but it is food for thought.