Sign in to follow this  
c9h13no3

Any comments on my mock draft?

Standard Scoring (No PPR), Starts 1QB, 2RB, 2WR, 1RB/WR, 1TE, 1DST, 1K

16 roster spots, 12 teams

My main complaint is that I ended up too deep at WR, and a little weak at upside RB's. I like my starting line up. This mock is a pretty typical mock for me, and a lot of them come out looking about like this.

Questions I have:

-Draft a back up QB with Cutler? He pairs well with Campbell, Moore, Leinart, Stafford, and Sanchez, which means there are plenty of decent bye week/bad match up options on the waiver wire.

-My tight end strategy is pretty rough right now. In standard scoring, its mostly about red zone targets right? Therefore I'm targeting Vernon Davis in the 5th, Shiancoe in the 9th. But I'd like some more TE's to target. Daniels? Just keep waiting on the Kellers, Watsons, and Carlsons?

-I'm really freaked out about Mendenhall. His O-line is breaking down around him, and he'll face stacked boxes for the first 4 games. Is he really a better option than Shonn Greene?

Round,Overall - Name of Player (Players on the board I could've picked instead)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1,11 - R. Moss (Fitz, Wayne, Mendenhall, D. Williams)

2,14 - Greene (Mendenhall, D. Williams) - Note: I passed on Mendenhall twice.

3,35 - P. Thomas (Addai, Forte, Romo)

4,38 - S. Rice (Steven Smith, Boldin, Ocho)

5,59 - Barber (Driver, Celek, R. Bush, J. Best) - Note: Was strongly considering Best at this spot

6,62 - Bowe (Ward, Nicks, Harvin)

7,83 - Cutler (F. Jackson, Forsett, Kolb, E. Manning) - Note: The guy drafting at #12 needed a QB, had 3 RB's rostered already

8,86 - M. Bush (Housh, D. Brown, Edwards, Tomlinson, Shiancoe)

9,107 - Floyd (Cotchery, Welker, Britt)

10,110 - Z. Miller OAK (Hightower, L. Washington, Hardesty, Maroney, Foster) - Note: Maybe take Hardesty here, and wait 1 more round?

11,131 - Slaton (Henne, Young) - Note: All upside RB's fell off the board, was left with Slaton. Draft a backup QB instead?

12,134 - L. Johnson (Buckhalter, K. Smith, Lynch, Gaffney)

13,150 - Murphy (Collie)

14,158 - L. Robinson (Garrard, Burleson, Campbell, Carlson, Royal)

15,179 - Bears (Broncos, Patriots, Giants)

16 - A kicker

I don't know if you really need to add a backup qb, but if you wanted to I would go Sanchez. I think you will be fine just picking up a bye week qb though. I really like the idea Shiancoe in the 9th round if you can get him that low, also I'm not sure how high Finley is going in your drafts, but he is worth a look. I like Shonne a lot better than Mendenhall. If he is the only one you can get then go with it, but if not try and get Greene. Thanks for mine and good luck.

I'd say overall your team turned out pretty well. I like taking Randy Moss (or any elite WR) at the end of the first round. I also have no problem with passing on Mendenhall. If you are concerned about him, then don't take him, because I think the RB's after the top 6 or 7 are very interchangeable. Personally, I'd take Deangelo Williams over Shonn Greene. I just think he is a safer and may even have more upside. I do like Shonn Greene though and think he should be good for 1200 yards and 10 TD's this season, I just like Deangelo a little better.

My biggest issue would probably be Barber in the 5th. Really? He's going that high. I see very little upside here in a crowded backfield. Yes, he could turn in to the big touchdown vulture he was in the past, but I don't see him getting more than 150-160 touches this season. I'd rather go for the upside of a Javid Best, CJ Spiller, or Justin Forsett. Or if you don't like any of the RB's there, grab a better QB or TE a round or two sooner than you anticipated.

I would of drafted a backup QB for Cutler. I do think he will better this year, and a very usable starter in a 12 team league, but its hard to be comfortable with him after his 2009 season. I'd probably try to grab a backup QB a round or two later, and pair Cutler with Eli, Kolb, Big Ben, McNabb, Ryan, etc.

TE's are pretty plentiful this year. I think it is perfectly fine to wait awhile to take one. Maybe you could try to target a Daniels, Winslow, or Shiancoe a round or two sooner.

Overall, I like this team. Good starting lineup, maybe could be tweaked a little to end up with some better depth.

I like the fact that you took Greene instead of Mendenhal. Both scare me though. As long as Sanches can play respectable then Greene should have a solid year.

Barber scares me too. We all have no idea how he'll perform since his last 2 years have been head scratchers. Great one game, then he'll follow up with a couple of average games. Best may have been a better option there.

Everything looks good though. Just get a decent backup for Cutler, I would have liked Kolb but he's probably gone right? I also might have risked taking K. Smith over L. Johnson. But I guess you can't go wrong with either. Depends on how K. Smith is recovering. He seems like he would always produce at least 10 points for me with a bad team.