Sign in to follow this  
Guest Jwood

**Surprise of Round 1 Thread**

Guest Jwood

To me it's Stephen Davis. I haven't seen him go that high in any mock. Could pay off huge though.

Guest Smitty

Ricky Williams over Harrison and Warner.

Guest Scorpion

Ricky over Harrison and Warner was a bit of a surprise. S. Davis was a shock.

I almost passed over Faulk at #2.

Moss at 9

Lewis at 8

both steals.

Guest Alimony Tony

Davis at #3.

I expected the first 6 picks to be James, Faulk, George, Taylor, Lewis and Manning. With Manning anywhere from 3rd to 6th.

Guest Scorpion

I actually expected Moss to go a bit earlier as well.

Guest Mookie Wilson

Again, I don't see S. Davis as the third RB taken as a huge surprise. There's an argument for Jamal Lewis to be there. And perhaps Eddie George.

I'm more surprised at the Williams selection. That doesn't make it a bad pick. I just thought for sure that Warner was going at that point.

And yes, Jamal Lewis at 8 is a great pick. Moss at 9 is about where I thought he would go (picks 8-10).

Guest Jwood

I was hoping Lewis, George, or Moss would fall to 10.

Guest RK

I was surprised Lewis made it to me at 8. George at 7 was a surpise too - late for him - injury or not!

Culpepper lasted longer than I thought he would.

Guest Mookie Wilson
Originally posted by RK:

And I'm very happy that he did.

Guest Alimony Tony

I almost took Lewis instead of Taylor at #5. I took Taylor based on his potential and overlooked the injury risk.

Guest RK

How much longer can we talk about 10 picks before we unleash our wrath on Mr. M?

mad.gif

Guest torridjoe
Originally posted by RK:

I was surprised Lewis made it to me at 8. George at 7 was a surpise too - late for him - injury or not!

it's not the injury that worries me, it's the departure of Lorenzo O'Neal. George was a very good back before he got there, but was dominant with him. Without him again, I forsee his numbers dropping back into the high 2nd tier.

Just can't bring myself to pick Taylor. Boom or bust! Lewis is still an unknown.

Guest Jwood
Originally posted by Mookie Wilson:

And I'm very happy that he did.

Did you grand trade plan to Ditka work out? Is that who you were hoping to get?

Guest Mookie Wilson

In all honesty, yes it was. I was hoping that Scorp would take Faulk at 2 (which I would have done). My biggest fear was that Culpepper was going to go anywhere from 3-5. If he had, I'd still be happy wuth who was still there at 6. But it was Culpepper I was targeting. I figure I sacrificed depth (oaky, a LOT of depth) for arguably the top two guys at their positions keeper-wise.

Guest torridjoe

In all honesty, yes it was. I was hoping that Scorp would take Faulk at 2 (which I would have done). My biggest fear was that Culpepper was going to go anywhere from 3-5. If he had, I'd still be happy wuth who was still there at 6. But it was Culpepper I was targeting. I figure I sacrificed depth (oaky, a LOT of depth) for arguably the top two guys at their positions keeper-wise.

Very arguably. I think Warner's the better long term solution, given that both Moss and Carter could be gone next year, and the RB is an unknown variable.

Guest Jwood

Could pay off big. I was thinking about that the other day when you made the Ditka deal.

Guest Mookie Wilson
Originally posted by torridjoe:

Very arguably. I think Warner's the better long term solution, given that both Moss and Carter could be gone next year, and the RB is an unknown variable.

Good points. But I think Moss stays a Vike for a while. No way Dennis Green allows Moss to play for anyone but Minnesota. As for the Minnesota RB situation, it's not like they lost a guy that played in their last 100 games consecutively. How often was Porcelain Smith injured? And when he was, how much did that slow down the Vikes offense? I also place a higher premium on Culpepper's durability. He's a linebacker in a quarterback's uniform.

This year Warner will most likely outscore Culpepper. He has more weapons in his arsenal. But I'd be willing to wager that over the next three years, Culpepper's numbers exceed Warner's.

[This message has been edited by Mookie Wilson (edited 07-09-2001).]

Guest torridjoe

I cannot argue with that, although I will say that it's far more up to Moss than Green where he lands. smile.gif

In a battle between strong and accurate, I place long term favor on accuracy.

Hell--either QB would have been a great selection, Mook. No worries!

Guest Scorpion

think Warner will make it back to me? LOLOLOL

Guest Call me...Tim!

How long its taking!

Guest Mookie Wilson
Originally posted by Call me...Tim!:

How long its taking!

Unfortuanetly, I find this to be the least surprising development so far. rolleyes.gif

Guest RyanM

I will accept this if it's true, but am I insane for thinking Lewis is, as of yet, overrated. :duckingfrombarrageofinsultssmile:

I'm not saying this will be the case by the end of the season, but he dominated for one half of a season. Maybe I'm nuts, but I was surprised by RK's pick. Not saying it's bad (especially in a keeper league), just surprised me. (Please note that it is readily evident that I looked at no mock drafts!)

Guest torridjoe

Some guys pay the high risk to get the high reward. I would tend to agree with you, Ryan--there is no firm track record of success to build opinion on. But the info we have looks pretty good.

I wouldn't have done it (and didn't, obviously), but it's a pretty defensible choice.