Sign in to follow this  
Chewy75

Changing Draft Order

My league uses the serpentine method of drafting (Rnd one = 1-12. Rnd two = 12-1). However we redraw cards every other round. With this being the case, how do I get the Draft Buddy to re-organize the team names after the new draft order is determined?

Hi Chewy. I just received an email from someone asking the exact same thing. Here we go:

1. Go to Draft Buddy's draft input tab. Highlight any one cell under the Overall heading, holding down the mouse button and moving to the right to similarly highlight the cell immediately adjacent to it under the Pick Traded To heading. There should now be 2 cells highlighted, right beside each other.

2. Choose Format > Column > Unhide. Two new columns will appear with red text.

3. Now, overwrite the formulas in the first column of red text. Simply insert the appropriate team number (based on the order you inputted on the setup tab) for each pick in the draft.

The Owner and Team Name info should update automatically as you enter the new appropriate team number. This way you can still keep the Pick Traded To column clean for only trades. Always a good idea to keep clean unaltered backup copies of the Compiler and Buddy before you dive in and do something you may not be able to undo later.

Since we redraw our draft order every other round, will I have to do this after every redraw? Thanks for all the help.

Do you not know the whole draft order in advance of the draft? If not, just leave those columns visible, and as you learn the order for each draw, quickly fill it in for the 2 rounds. Example:

Round 1 input...

...and reverse for Round 2...

I never thought of that circumstance SPG, but I guess I should have the way the NFL awards compensatory picks in the draft. Let me think about the best way to do that. Back in a little while.

Originally posted by Mike MacGregor:

I never thought of that circumstance SPG, but I guess I should have the way the NFL awards compensatory picks in the draft. Let me think about the best way to do that. Back in a little while.

Thanks, I appreciate it!

SPG - Haven't forgotten about you. Just a little swamped with other things but will try some different ways to work around this later tonight or tomorrow. Appreciate the patience.

This was a tough one. However, I do have some ideas to change Draft Buddy to account for different number of picks in each round of the draft.

Idea 1 - If there are just a couple of instances where there is an extra pick in a number of rounds, then you could increase the number of teams in league option on the Buddy setup tab. Run it, and now every round has extra picks. Then, adjust the draft order to get the right teams having these extra picks based on the instructions at the top of this post.

For extra picks in Buddy that are not to be used, just ignore them.

Something I'm noticing is that the earliest the team number is changed (formula overwritten), then you might need to change all the team numbers from then on as the formulas feed off one another. To hard-code all the team numbers, say before you start changing them, copy the whole list and paste it in it's same place using Paste Special > As Values...

One thing with this idea is the by round tab will not work once a pick is skipped. The rest seem fine though.

Idea 2 - Add an extra round or two for Buddy to put at the end of the draft input tab, and input the compensatory picks here. Change the team names in the draft order as above to the right teams. You can even change the draft pick numbers by overwriting those forumlas.

The only downside on this I can see is the compensatory picks will not be picked up in the by round tab. Also the by pos tab will keep the compensatory players at the bottom of the list (since they are the bottom of the draft input tab). Rest of the tabs seem fine.

Idea 3 - Just edit the whole draft input tab, overwriting the formulas for columns Round, the one just to the right of Round (Pick, but not the one with format 1.01, 1.02, 1.03, etc. but the one that just says 1, 2, 3, etc.) and the team numbers as discussed at the top of this post.

All players should stay in order as selected. Only by round tab will probably be effected again. It is quite a finicky schedule ;)