Sign in to follow this  
Mike MacGregor

Idea: Free Exchange of Site Player Projections

After writing on and on in the other post about how to get other site projections in the Compiler, I thought, how about we set up some free exchange of player projections between those of you who have gone through the trouble and those of you looking to add other projections to the Compiler.

I guess how this would work would be to sort the position tabs first, perhaps using the "Sort Position Sheets" macro button on the parameters sheet. This way, as long as we're using the same version of the Compiler, everyone can sort the players in the same way so they match one another.

Then, the person can copy and paste the player names and projections out of the Compiler and into a new Excel workbook. From there, exchange by email.

Just a thought to share the workload if anyone is interested.

Love the compiler! I have all the offensive stats entered from Sportsline. Due the structure of my league the WR and TE positions are combined but i'd be glad to post the sheets for others to use. Sorry about the long delay. Much fighting with my e-mail service over the size of the file. You can download my compiler with the sportsline projections here: http://briefcase.yahoo.com/max_kink

-bill

P.S.

This is NOT the most recent version of the compiler.

[ 08-16-2002: Message edited by: covadbill ]

[ 08-16-2002: Message edited by: covadbill ]

Hi Bill. Send me over the Sportsline projections to take a look at. Email: mike@profootballanalysis.com I never thought the fantasy advice through Sportsline was very good in the past, so I haven't checked their projections.

Always found one of the biggest advantages of a Commissioner.com league is opponents who rely heavily on their fantasy info :) ...too bad with them going pay I think my money league will be moving elsewhere :) ;)

Originally posted by Mike MacGregor:

Hi Bill. Send me over the Sportsline projections to take a look at. Email:   mike@profootballanalysis.com   I never thought the fantasy advice through Sportsline was very good in the past, so I haven't checked their projections.

Always found one of the biggest advantages of a Commissioner.com league is opponents who rely heavily on their fantasy info   :) ...too bad with them going pay I think my money league will be moving elsewhere   :)   ;)

no kidding on that. I dropped Priest holmes after they said Priest was unimpressive and lost the starters job to Richardson last year. Since my league only has 3 bench players I thought I couldn't have a backup on my squad. Take the info of CBS sportsline with a grain of salt.

Uh oh...Sportsline projections are not so good eh. I was just starting to enter them into the compiler. If you could recommend a good projection site, besides yours of course, I would be happy to enter them and then share them.

BTW, this compiler is excellent. I can't believe it is free !!!

Thanks for the comments Pong and Bob. Glad you like it. Other sites with projections? Hmm... A lot are pay, aren't they? How about:

Fantasy Asylum - Can actually download an Asylum specific Compiler here (to be updated soon)

Footballguys - Going pay on Aug 1 I think

Not sure what else is out there. I don't get out much :)

I have the QB, RB, WR, TE, and K projections from Footballguys.com(projections from 7/23) imported into the Compliler v2.1 if anyone wants them. Email addy is in my profile.

[ 08-01-2002: Message edited by: m_c_meyer ]

I just read an article from Footballguys.com about Average VAlue drafting.(good article by the way) In the article they had looked at projections from 2001 and found that CBSsportsline.com had a good % of error in their projections. It was 4.32% for QB's the lowest, 10.44% for RB'S, 8.66% for WR, and 12.74% for TE's. So, their advice may not be the greatest but their projections are good.

Now, with that information given. I am confused on how to really use this application - it looks really cool but I'm not sure how to plug in a flex player? With the draft buddy if you input your league team names can you use it during a draft?

Thats interesting GiantsFan. I read that AVT article a while ago but must have skipped right over the CBS comments because I have no recollection. Perhaps old stereotypes are hard to break?

There is no explicit flex player option in the Compiler. What I suggest is either:

1. Use decimal places for the starters and backups to approximate a flex position (say 1.5 RB and 3.5 WR)

2. Input the actual lineup you think most people will use (say 2 RB and 3 WR) and you could use the base adjust factor to move around the baselines if you like.

Overall, try different options, re-compile and see what the results produce to judge if they make sense.

Draft Buddy is intended to help track your draft as it progresses. Use it after you've completed your work in the Compiler. I like Buddy because it quickly updates various draft schedules and knocks players off my Compiler created cheatsheets so its pretty easy to see who is left. However, it is more use to me in an online draft than live because I don't have a laptop to tote to the draft.

Thanks for the info Mike. I got the buddy to work now. I still have a few questions that I haven't worked out. 1)I keep getting Randy Moss as my #2 guy to draft according to vbd. I know this is a tool but I don't think he is the #2 most valuable player. What am I doing wrong? 2)How do I input other site stats without having to copy paste them all since your order is different than the sites. Thanks again this tool rocks!!!!Thanks for also keeping it free.

1. I'm surprised Randy is the #1 WR because FF Today ranks Terrell Owens above Moss (although I don't have the stats in front of me - could be due to scoring system). What can I say? If you start 3 or more WR versus only 2 RB and/or give points for number of receptions, the value of WR will go up compared to RB.

Past experience tells us RB will go early and often in most fantasy drafts, but the numbers don't necessarily work out that way with strict VBD. You might want to bump up RB value by using the Base Adjust Factor, or perhaps try a different baseline method (last drafted). RBs should go up then I think, because there is a bigger drop in that position than WR because so many WRs see significant PT.

Definitely go with what feels right. Maybe RB is the way to go based on supply/demand. You need to balance what the Compiler spits out and how you anticipate the actual draft to go.

2. As for inputting other projections, check this thread. It isn't easy per say (hopefully we can make it better next year), but its not too bad once you've had some practise.

Giant,

I have found that in my scoring system both Owens and Moss end up very high in the VBD, like both top 5 overall. This is totally a function of scoring system + starting lineup (assuming you use last starter method). My league uses 3 WR so the VBD calc goes to 36th WR and skews the board somewhat.

As far as inputing stats with different orders I used the VLOOKUP command that Mike explains in great detail on another thread, located here:

http://www.fftodayforums.com/cgi-bin/ultim...c&f=20&t=000005

and was able to input stats from 2 other sites fairly easily.

[ 08-05-2002: Message edited by: zippychi ]

Thanks alot guys for the input. Here is my scoring system & line up if that helps.

1Qb, 1rb, 2wr, 1te, 1k, 1def, & 1flex(WR,RB OR TE) 10 man league with 15 rounds.

1/20 yrds passing

1/10 rec.,rush

6pts. rush/recv

4pts passing

bonus pts-+2 for any tds over 49-79 yrds

+4 pts. any TD over 80+ yrds.

Maybe the long yrds would account for Moss?

Does VBD compare exactly? I've seen both that it compares players to each other regardless of position and it just compares the best possible player at that position.

I'm working on inporting the FF War Room projections into Compiler format. They don't have Kicker or Defense up yet, but the other positions should be done later today. I'll post back here when I'm done, but if you know you would like a set when they are done, just drop me a line.

Rokugan Lions headcoach

That would be great!!! Any projections would be very helpful. I do need help however importing other projections into the cheatsheet compiler. I read the posting on it and it was really imformative maybe I'm just to slow to get it. What if I am trying to import projections that use the cheatsheet compliler but the players are in diff. order? For ex. FFChamps projections with your cheatsheet compiler. Do I copy the player names also when I am do that uplook command? I couldn't get that formula to work for some reason. Any thoughts. Should I use the projections without inputing my scoring system would that help the player to be in the correct order? Any help would be appreciated.

Okay, I'm running into a little problem. I got the VLOOKUP formula working and referenced all the QB stats. Worked like a charm. I got a whole bunch a data that was still formulas. When I copied it and pasted it right back in as 'values' all of a sudden a lot of the 2002 Projected Player Statistics columns (X-AH) started showing #VALUE errors. It looked like all the guys who did *not* have stats projected for them in the FF War Room projections I was trying to input. It doesn't look any different than the FF Today 2002 Projections that are there and working fine.

Any suggestions?

Never mind! Geez, I figured it out. When I replaced the #N/A values, I accidentally replaced them with a " " space (as opposed to a ""). So all the formulas were trying to incorporate a space instead of nothing. Works fine now.

Originally posted by 1Giantsfan:

What if I am trying to import projections that use the cheatsheet compliler but the players are in diff. order? For ex. FFChamps projections with your cheatsheet compiler. Do I copy the player names also when I am do that uplook command? I couldn't get that formula to work for some reason. Any thoughts. Should I use the projections without inputing my scoring system would that help the player to be in the correct order? Any help would be appreciated.

I was going to go into a thing about sorting both tabs by player name, but it was getting long and complicated in its own right. I still think VLOOKUP is your best bet. Let me do the steps for you to get QB stats from FF Champs Compiler to FF Today Compiler.

1. Open both Compiler versions. Go to FF Today Compiler cell CP5 on qb tab.

2. Input the following formula:

=VLOOKUP($C5,[ffchamps_compiler_1.0.xls]qb!$C$5:$L$117,6,FALSE)

As long as you haven't changed the FF Champs file name, this should copy the Passing yards from FF Champs into your Site B section of FF Today Compiler.

(I knew these different version were going to get confusing :))

Result of the formula should be 4800 yards for Kurt Warner.

3. Now, copy this formula across for all columns for Warner in the FF Today Compiler Site B section. Then in each change the number 6 to the appropriate number to match up with the stat you're trying to pull. They are:

PaTD - 7

Pa INT - 8

Ru Yd - 9

Ru TD - 10

Pa Att, Pa Comp, Comp %, Ru Att, Fum Lost - delete formula in all of these categories as FF Champs does not project them.

4. Make sure to insert the number 16 under Games column in Site B of FF Today Compiler.

5. At this point you should see all the FF Champs for the first QB in the FF Today Compiler (probably Warner). Now copy these formulas all the way down for every row in the Compiler.

6. Copy all Site B data and choose Edit > Paste Special.. As Values. Now delete all the cells that come up #N/A. You're good to go with QBs. Now repeat for RB noting the only things to change will be the lookup range in the FF Champs Compiler and the numbering of the columns.

Hope this isn't too confusing GiantsFan. Send me an email if you're still having trouble.

I just checked out the ffchamps compiler and was fairly surprised that it is the same as fftoday. one is a pay product, without the additional areas for stats and also no buddy, while fftoday has the buddy and is free. for the 2nd time today I have to give some serious props to you guys!! ;) :)