Sign in to follow this  
Mike MacGregor

Announcement 2: Compiler/Buddy 2003

Hi all. Here is an update on announcement 1, and I think all of you are going to like what I have to say.

1. Re: Pricing - Mike K. and I have discussed the pricing some more. We certainly want as many people to enjoy the Compiler/Buddy package as possible, and don't want the price to be prohibitive. Plus I love this relationship built with the Geeks at FF Today the past 2 years, and want to see it continue to develop and grow.

Therefore, we will be offering an early season discount on the Compiler/Buddy package. From now (well, when we finally get all ready to roll) until July 31, we will drop $4 (over 25%) off the price of Compiler/Buddy so it will sell for only $10.95.

I know a lot of you would have bought at the $14.95 price based on prior successes. That's cool but now not necessary. Jump in early and pick up the discount.

2. Re: New Features - I promised in the other post to come back and give a sneak peak at new features. Here is the big stuff I essentially have ready right now:

- Full auction capability in both the Compilier and Buddy. Compiler calculates auction values and Buddy tracks them along with salary cap to make sure none of your "buddies" (read: guppies ;)) goes over budget.

- Keeper/Dynasty league capability in Buddy. We had to "trick" draft buddy last year to keep track of keeper players last year. No longer, as you can enter every team's pre-draft roster. Buddy will knock them right off the cheatsheets and track them along with the draft.

- Easier player input in Draft Buddy. How in H-E-double-hockey-sticks do I spell Chris Fuamatu-Ma'afala? Forget about it. Buddy now has easy to use drop down player lists.

- New pre-set overall ranking methods. Straight last starter baseline not cutting it for you? Try pre-set Stud RB to check the results, or QBBC, or the best of, a Compiler Recommended method adjusting all the positions to an appropriate value weighting.

- Exclude certain positions outright from the overall rankings. Know already you're taking a K and DEF in the last rounds of your draft? Just exclude them right out of the overall rankings with one click.

- Calculate player tiers to show where the drop-offs are in production. This is an extremely effective aspect of a winning draft strategy. We had this at the tail end of last year, but some may have missed it.

And here is the stuff still sitting on my long to-do list that I expect to finish up over the next month. (I'm a bit of a perfectionist making sure something is the best possible solution before just throwing it out to the public.)

- Expanded scoring systems for distance TD and FG, plus bonuses for yardage milestones

- Easier import other sites projections (Not that there are too many free projections out there any more of any quality. LOL.)

- IDP depth chart to accompany the offensive one.

- Other top secret stuff.

3. Re: Timeline - I know what you're saying. "Damnit MacGregor, if you'd spend less time on these posts maybe you'd finally get the thing done." Probably true. Trust me we are getting there but it is a big process to try to make sure everything is running properly. I just ask for a little patience. I'm still very hopeful to launch this week.

That is it. $10.95 is the discounted price through all of June and July. A great deal for taking that first crucial step towards a championship run.

We will have a secure, real-time credit card processing system. Signed by VeriSign digital certificate. Run through SurePay, a subsidiary of Chase Manhattan Bank. Very secure and reliable system.

PayPal could also be an option. I will have to look into that in more detail.

Mike,

Have you added the ability to factor in return yards/TD's for WR & RB's? Really impacts the player values in my league.

Thanks & great news regarding the price reduction.

Excellent news, Mike! I can't speak for all, but I certainly appreciate the effort you put into this Compiler program, as well as your goodwill in lowering the price for its adoring fans.

We talked last year about the best way to crunch the numbers statistically and the people here at FFToday should know how much time and effort you put into this product. It's a great draft tool and I'd recommend it to all. Last year's version made my draft and made me money.

None of us can begrudge you the chance to make a buck on the good product you have to offer. Thanks for making the opening price as manageable as possible.

Looking forward to seeing the final results ASAP.

Originally posted by fdemello:

Mike,

Have you added the ability to factor in return yards/TD's for WR & RB's?  Really impacts the player values in my league.

Hey fdemello. I certainly have this on the list. Problem isn't so much putting it in (don't forget the DBs too), but projecting the stats for it. I don't want to drive Krueger over the edge...yet ;)

This is the type of thing I really start to wonder...would it be better to have the option in with no projections, so guys can enter them themselves? or just leave it out until we can give full projections to support the feature?

I've been leaning on option 2 so far (also helps keep file size manageable), but would love to hear your point of view on this.

Originally posted by Mike MacGregor:

We will have a secure, real-time credit card processing system. Signed by VeriSign digital certificate. Run through SurePay, a subsidiary of Chase Manhattan Bank. Very secure and reliable system.

PayPal could also be an option. I will have to look into that in more detail.

I hope you consider Paypal as an option. I already have an account setup there. I would have a problem paying through the other system because I don't have a credit card. My Paypal account works directly off of my checking account. Please consider Paypal as a second option.

Hi Mike,

I'd certainly appreciate having the ability to calculate with the return yards/TD's in the compiler (even without the projections).

Thanks!

Mike,

Let me tell you last year I was browsing through the web looking for a program for draft day, and I ran into your program in FFToday. Well due to the great draft that I had, due to cheatsheet, I won both of my Fantasy Leagues. I was so impressed with your program and quality of it. I believe that the price of $10.95 is fair, because a simple fantasy football magazine will cost $6.00 and let me tell you the program is up to date all the time, so I believe the price is fair and you need to be recognized for your hard work. Thanks for the updates that you are making in the program, specially giving the dropdown cell when looking for a name. Please let us know when the program will be ready and I will buy it on the spot. Keep up the good work ;)

Originally posted by Marshall_Law:

I hope you consider Paypal as an option.  I already have an account setup there.  I would have a problem paying through the other system because I don't have a credit card.  My Paypal account works directly off of my checking account.  Please consider Paypal as a second option.

As long as one person says they prefer to pay through PayPal, that is enough for me. I will get it set up.

Originally posted by Mike MacGregor:

As long as one person says they prefer to pay through PayPal, that is enough for me. I will get it set up.

Thanks Mike. It is greatly appreciated. The compiler is a great FF tool, and i'd hate to go without it for this year. Thanks again for going with Paypal.

Mike-

Just another suggestion to reward the loyal users of your compiler. After this year, it would be nice if you offered the compiler at a discounted rate to returning customers (perhaps something like $7.95?) to reward them for continuing to use your product. I'd have a lot easier time paying $10.95 or even $14.95 if I knew I was going to receive a discount on the upgrade or new compiler next year.

-M.

I think that is a great idea for next year. Tough to commit 100% until we see how this season goes, but I don't see any reason why there couldn't be some kind of returning customer discount.

I would have bought it at $14.95... at $10.95 it is even a better value ;)

These tools are even more useful if you play in more than one league, with different scoring systems.

Question: I assume you will take steps to to prevent piracy... will I still be able to create a file per league?

Originally posted by Uh-huh:

Question: I assume you will take steps to to prevent piracy... will I still be able to create a file per league?

Absolutely.