Sign in to follow this  
zhinz

Suggestion (and an endorsment)

Mike, just got done with my 2nd draft. I was able to use the Draft Buddy with this one, unlike the one before (I was co-league manager, and I had to help other people draft). In the Draft Input tab, do you think you could make it so it would recognize the player even if we don't type in the ®? I usually type the names in completely (for me it's quicker than using the mouse), but the first rookie name really screwed me up. I guess if you can do that, maybe you could do the Alex Smith/Roy Williams thing too...

This was the league I knew I needed the CC & DB for, because the league parameters were really unusual to me. It was a 20 team league, with QB/2 RB/2 WR/2 OfFlex (RB or WR)/TE/K/DEF and 5 backups of any position (I did a QB/2 RB/2 WR). Passing TDs were worth 6 points, but yardage scoring was really low (1/25 for passing, rushing, receiving, AND returns). Notice I said yardage for returns. It was a Yahoo! league, where the return yardage / TDs go to the individual player, not the D/ST. This made Dante' Hall the 12th overall WR, for example.

Anyway, this is my team (in retrospect, most teams didn't draft very well [one is starting William Henderson at RB :lol:):

QBs: Brian Griese (7th) and Ben Roethlisberger (10th)

RBs: LaDainian Tomlinson (1st), Brian Westbrook (2nd), J.J. Arrington (3rd), T.J. Duckett (4th), Dominic Rhodes (8th), Maurice Morris (13th) (backups were chosen because they returned as well)

WRs: Larry Fitzgerald (5th), Joey Galloway (6th), Dante' Hall (11th-could have waited but I was getting worried someone else would take him), Antonio Bryant (12th)

TE: Ben Watson (15th)

K: Mike Vanderjagt (9th)

DEF: St. Louis Rams (14th-only St. Louis and Oakland were left)

There's only one other team that maybe has better RBs. I'm expecting to ride mine to the playoffs :argue:

Wow, you can start 4 RB and only 2 WR :clap: I was thinking your WR look weak but I guess thats why!

I'm not sure I can change that naming convention, at least on the Alex Smith, Roy Williams thing. The reason is because the same names flow all the way through Buddy for the lookups to work and provide other information elsewhere, like team, bye, FF points, etc.

I usually type in the names too, but when I see a rookie I note to add in the ® which converts it to a ®.

Notice I said yardage for returns. It was a Yahoo! league, where the return yardage / TDs go to the individual player, not the D/ST. This made Dante' Hall the 12th overall WR, for example.

How did you set up the compiler to accept return yards/td's for the individual player? My league has 1 pt for every thirty yards, and 6 points for a TD. I can only seem to put these in for the team defense/special teams section.

Notice I said yardage for returns. It was a Yahoo! league, where the return yardage / TDs go to the individual player, not the D/ST. This made Dante' Hall the 12th overall WR, for example.

How did you set up the compiler to accept return yards/td's for the individual player? My league has 1 pt for every thirty yards, and 6 points for a TD. I can only seem to put these in for the team defense/special teams section.

Well, it was easy for me because my league was 1 pt per 25 for rushing, receiving and returns. So I just took the projected return yardage and added it onto what was already listed for receiving (for returners listed as WRs), or onto the rushing yardage (for returners listed as RBs). But I was thinking on it, and here's what you can do.

Convert the return yardage into rushing or receiving yardage. For example, you say you get 1 pt per 30 return yards. Let's say your league gives you 1 pt per 10 rushing or receiving yards. This means 30 return yards = 10 rushing/receiving yards, which means return yards are worth 1/3 as much. Then add the projected TDs into the receiving TDs (since both are worth 6 points).

So if you take the return yards and multiply by 1/3, this tells you how many rushing/receiving yards they would be worth. For example, Kansas City is projected for 2,206 return yards. Dante Hall does both jobs, so nearly all of that should be his. 2206 * 1/3 = 735. So 2206 return yards = 735 rushing or receiving yards. So you could add 735 to Hall's receiving totals to account for his return yardage.

If your league is 1 pt per 15 receiving instead, you would take the return yardage and multiply it by 1/2 instead.

But what Mike has said before is right. If your league is 1 / 10 or similar, return yardage really doesn't matter every much.

In my league format, I agree someone like Morris will have little value unless you are the Alexander owner. I guess I am looking at Steve Smith types....Solid starting wr's who might also return. Others in my league might not pickup on this kind of stuff.

I don't mean to high jack your thread, but you and Mike both seem very knowledgable on this. Whom for starting offensive players should someone in my league format maybe keep an eye on, whom might also get return ops? It would probably be more acurate for me to just bump these players up a bit.

I am in a 14 team, 1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, TE, K, DEF, RB/WR, TE/WR........with 6 bench spots.

Thanks for any help.

Only problem is those Steve Smith types are few and far between.

Maybe Eric Parker, the #2 in SD who is also listed as the PR?

Ladell Betts is listed as the KR in Washington. Not sure if he's worth drafting in your league.

Robert Ferguson (#3 WR) is the KR in Green Bay.

Mewelde Moore is the KR in Minnesota and could start as a RB if (when?) Michael Bennett gets hurt.

Arnaz Battle is listed as a starting WR and PR in San Francisco.

And Bobby Engram (#3 WR) is the PR in Seattle.