Sign in to follow this  
Dan Sez

Strategies - More on SR Phase

As I noted in the example given in Pale Rider's question, there are some strategies in when you cut players in the SR Phase.

There are two rounds of cuts and in each your roster must meet the Cap.

(Example 1)

Bubba Franks has been retained until his SV = 4. At that time the question of the rising cost comes into play. Borg has the 9th pick in the coming June Draft. Borg cuts Bubba Franks in the second round of cuts.

Benefits:

1. I have 4 points to spend on other people's cuts (1st round cuts could contain some good prospects or a better RB/WR player)

2. Cutting in the second round does not allow anyone to pick him up

3. By not being on any roster, Franks' SV is reset to 1

4. I could pickup Franks with my 9th pick in the first round in June and continue to use him as the foundation of the TE position.

Risk:

1. Other events could change who I want to use that 1st round pick on

2. I am dedicating a high June draft pick to resetting a player's SV

3. I could lose the player if someone takes him before I do

4. Restricts my options in trades (considerations of trying to regain a player)

(Example 2)

Next year I have a bunch of old recievers. In 2004 SR Phase, I cut Rice/R.Smith/K.McCardell in the first round and if anyone picks them up, they will have to pay 2 SR Points to retain him. No one is really hot for any of these guys and they all pass thru the waivers and have their SVs reset to 1. I can pick up one or two of these guys in the middle of the June draft if it looks like they will still be productive.

Benefits:

1. I am keeping other players for long term development

2. This recycles older proven players as strong roster fillers for as long as they remain productive.

Risk:

1. I may wind up with none of these guys

2. I wind up with lesser performers to fill those slots.

(Example 3)

I need to rebuild so I am looking for more prospects in the SR Phase. I have Javon Walker who will cost me 6 SR Points to retain. I decide to cut him in the first round.

Benefits:

1. If someone takes Javon with his high SV, they will have to cut a couple of players to make room.

2. These cuts might make it back to me on the waiver process

3. I could be getting someone's future breakout star by them reaching for a high priced performer.

Risk:

1. The guys cut could also be overpriced

2. Your enemy gets stronger (you have no control on who gets who in the waiver process).

3. The "hot prospects" you gain do not develop into adequate replacements for the player cut.

-

Lots of things to think about.

Comments?

[ 03-11-2003: Message edited by: Dan Sez ]