Sign in to follow this  
JackARoot

Defensive Rankings Problem

I just updated the projections on 8/25, but the defensive rankings on my cheatsheet are still way off from the projections listed on the fftoday homepage. These are the rankings on my cheatsheet:

1 Baltimore Ravens 3 150.0 7.04

2 New England Patriots 7 146.0 9.08

3 Miami Dolphins 4 138.0

4 Dallas Cowboys 9 135.0 15.11

5 Carolina Panthers 7 129.0 10.08

6 Tampa Bay Buccaneers 7 129.0 12.08

7 Denver Broncos 9 125.0

8 Cleveland Browns 4 122.0

9 Green Bay Packers 6 122.0

10 Jacksonville Jaguars 7 122.0 14.10

11 Philadelphia Eagles 6 122.0 11.03

12 Kansas City Chiefs 5 115.0

13 Minnesota Vikings 5 115.0 13.05

14 Tennessee Titans 10 115.0

15 Pittsburgh Steelers 4 112.0 9.06

16 St. Louis Rams 9 112.0

17 Buffalo Bills 9 110.0 9.06

18 Detroit Lions 3 110.0

19 Chicago Bears 4 106.0 14.10

20 Washington Redskins 3 105.0 14.04

21 New York Giants 5 103.0

22 Indianapolis Colts 8 102.0 15.08

23 New York Jets 8 102.0 14.12

24 Atlanta Falcons 8 101.0 11.11

25 Oakland Raiders 5 100.0

26 Seattle Seahawks 8 100.0

27 Cincinnati Bengals 10 95.0 15.12

28 New Orleans Saints 10 92.0

29 San Diego Chargers 10 92.0

30 Arizona Cardinals 6 88.0

31 Houston Texans 3 84.0

32 San Francisco 49ers 6 80.0

Why is the cheatsheet so far off from your projections/rankings?

Hey guys. The defensive rankings are not going to match the site because the scoring systems don't match. The main difference is points and yards against. These are not accounted for at all on the site rankings. The teams that you find higher than you would otherwise expect, I think if you check the projections on the DEF tab you'll notice these teams have relatively lower points against projected for them. Krueger did a lot of schedule analysis, amongst other things, to come up with the team D projections.

Thanks for the reply. Our league doesn't give alot of points for low points/yardage against D, and we get long TD bonuses for 20+ (3) and 40+ (6) yard TDs. This makes almost all defensive TD's 12 points unless its something like a fumble in their own endzone. Also, effectively all kick/punt return TD's are worth 12. So, I'm looking at big play D's with dangerous return teams. Looks to me that Buffalo might be the team with the best DTD and Return threat combo. But I'm surprised that Pitt is so low on my cheatsheet, especially when it looks like they've got an improved return team this year.

You're right, D is a crapshoot. But if I can get a team with alot of sacks and ints, sure I get a few points out of it, but more importantly I get more opportunities to for DTD's.

BTW, this is my third year of buying the software, and I really like it. It helped me to the FFSuperbowl last year, but alas, only got runner-up. I would only change one thing about the draft buddy. Since we draw draft position on draft-night, I always find myself rushing to type-in the team owners and team names at the last minute. It would be nice if I could have the names pre-typed before the draft so that I could simply assign a draft position to that owner on draft-night. Thanks.

Hi Jack. I am typically a draft a defense last type of guy, but I must say, from what I've seen of the Bills return teams, I might just pull the trigger on them quicker than I normally would if a league combines return TD with the defense. I know they tied the return TD record last year and I can't possibly expect a repeat performance, but they are impressive. And they use a lot of different return guys so they aren't relying on one boom or bust returner to get the job done. Just thought I would throw that out there...

I agree the ability to customize the draft order needs to be improved, but I guess that isn't exactly what you are referring to. Try this:

1. Type the names in advance on the setup tab in Buddy. Setup the rest as if that is the draft order.

2. When your league does the ordering, in Buddy change the numbers just to the left of the names (re-number them).

3. Highlight that section from the numbers to the names, and select Data > Sort > (first column) and sort Ascending.

4. Hit F9 to recalculate everything.

The teams should be in order now I think. Might want to test this before hand.

This only just dawned on me two nights ago as I had to do something similar.

Thanks Mike, gave your suggestions a test run. Looks like it works!