Sign in to follow this  
premier140

Auction Leagues

I've read the other posts regarding selecting different ranking methods (median or last starter drafted) and adjusting the baseline factors to come up with more reasonable dollar values. However, I still have a problem...I am able to come up with what I think are realistic dollar values for the top players at one position (ie. top 10 QBs range from $10 - $49). The problem comes in two places:

1. When I adjust the QB baseline factor to get not so many QBs with $1 values, the dollar values for the top 10 QBs drops. It's like it takes money away from these players and spreads it around to the lower ranked QBs.

2. When I adjust the baseline factor for any particular position, the dollar values for all other positions are also affected. I able to get realistic values for one position (like QBs), but the RB and WR values are too low. So I pump up the baseline factor for these positions, but then the QB values drop.

This is my first year in an auction league, so I really don't know what to expect as far as bidding. I've used the compiler for four years now, and it's been great for drafts. Is calculating dollar values just one of the weaker points of the compiler?

I'm not sure it is a weaker part of the Compiler, at least for the reasons you are giving. If dollars are going to go up for some lower ranked players, it has to come from somewhere, and is therefore going to decline for the top players. There is only so much money to go around in your league, and the Compiler takes that into account.

As for changing the baseline factor, it will effect all positions because any adjustment will increase or decrease the value of a position relative to the other positions. And again on the first point, it one positions' total dollar allocation goes up/down, then the other positions will do the opposite.

One thing to keep in mind with the Compiler auction values is that they are a guide. The Compiler, or any system, cannot possibly predict how the auction will go because it is such a dynamic entity, greatly influenced by the philosophies employed by all the owners in the auction. Some auctions will have very aggressive owners with very high bids on top players. Other auctions will have very conservative owners spreading the money around. And everything in between.

Also, how the early bids go in the auction will influence the later bids, because there will be more or less money available relative to the max bids the Compiler calculated. You are going to have to go with the flow a bit.

Overall, I think the Compiler, after tweaking some settings like you've done until you are happy with the results, will help you determine the value of different positions, and give you a good starting point for the auction.

One thing you can do is instead of tweaking the settings if that isn't giving you the exact result you want, get the Compiler as close to what you want as possible (like with no adjustments), and then copy the results over to Draft Buddy. Then flip to the offense and/or overall tab, and just quickly go down the list and edit the dollar values for players you think need a little more or less emphasis.

I've done more auction drafting this year, and I think you're going to love it. Have a great time, and good luck!

Thanks Mike. I think the compiler is a great tool. I hope you didn't take offense to my originial post. I will try you suggestions. It makes sense that thre is only so much money to go around, which is why the compiler adjusts the values as it does. I was just comparing the values provided by the compiler to the values listed on under the rankings/projections and was thrown off as to why I could get the values for the top tier players to sync up, but the compiler would have much more $1 players.

No offense taken. The feedback is appreciated. I should expand the documentation specifically for auctions. It sure seems a lot more people are in auctions this year than in prior years.

Guest rluter

Mike, I assume that mock auction drafts have taken place. Do you know of or can you recommend a place to be able to review some of these? I've seen and participated in a dozen mocks with the standard 12-team, serpentine draft. it would be nice to try to build a baseline estimate from mock by observing what people are willing to pay with regard to their cap. What do you think?

Guest rluter

Mike, I assume that mock auction drafts have taken place. Do you know of or can you recommend a place to be able to review some of these? I've seen and participated in a dozen mocks with the standard 12-team, serpentine draft. it would be nice to try to build a baseline estimate from mock by observing what people are willing to pay with regard to their cap. What do you think?