Sign in to follow this  
Guest Moose Knuckle Ball Four

Mrs. Maddox throws a flag on husband's complaints

Guest Moose Knuckle Ball Four

Beleaguered Steelers quarterback Tommy Maddox preferred "no comment" to another turnover Friday.

Maddox repeatedly declined invitations to shed light on contradictory statements offered by his agent and his wife in the wake of what happened at Maddox' home following Sunday's 23-17 loss to the Jacksonville Jaguars. Maddox lost a fumble and tossed three interceptions -- including the game winner in overtime.

On Thursday, Jennifer Maddox disputed a Pittsburgh Tribune-Review report that vandals had thrown objects on the family's lawn in Adams, Butler County. She also told WPXI-TV that her children were not harassed at school or on the school bus.

On Wednesday, the quarterback confirmed agent Vann McElroy's accounts of vandalism at the Maddox home and the children's harassment.

Maddox refused a request Friday to clear up the discrepancies after the team workout.

When approached by another reporter, Maddox became agitated at the mention of his wife's account. He raised his voice and pointed a finger at the reporter.

A television crew then tried to approach Maddox, but a Steelers representative blocked the attempt.

Two newspapers, two television stations and two radio stations attended the Steelers' practice on Friday. Maddox sat out because of a shoulder injury.

At least one TV crew spent time outside Maddox' house Friday afternoon.

McElroy, who didn't return a Trib phone call on Friday, initially blamed frustrated fans for the vandalism at Maddox' residence.

"Having your kids deal with it at school and on the bus is a very, very tough deal," McElroy told the Trib in Thursday's editions.

"It's not true," Jennifer Maddox told WPXI-TV in a story broadcast Thursday night. "I haven't picked up a piece of trash in my yard."

Jennifer Maddox also said her children hadn't encountered any problems.

Talk in the Steelers locker room Thursday was dominated by reaction to what had happened to the Maddox family after the Jacksonville game.

"I went up to Tommy and said, 'Is all this true?' " kicker Jeff Reed said. "Tommy said, 'Yeah, it's pretty bad.' "

Wide receiver Hines Ward was appalled by Maddox' plight.

"To bring his kids into it and to vandalize his house, that's uncalled for," Ward said.

Steelers head coach Bill Cowher also addressed the Maddox issue.

"When you start taking it outside the field, to the house, to the kids, to me you have crossed the line," Cowher said. "It's a classless thing to do."

Maddox initially declined a request for reaction to his situation on Wednesday, saying only, "It's just a few people. I want it to go away, that's all. Just want it to go away."

On Thursday, he addressed the media but not the specifics of what had taken place.

"I want all that to kinda die and go away and get back to playing football," Maddox said.

If this turns out to be all lies - created by his agent - to leverage Maddox's future - than turnovers are going to be the least amount of trouble he is going to enounter in the locker room.

plus...his wife is one ugly b1tch...she looks like she had her face set on fire and then someone put it out by hitting her repeatedly with a bag of nickels. :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r:

aha... so youre the guy throwing trash on the lawn and harrassing kids. I knew you would show up sooner or later :blink: