Sign in to follow this  
Guest Moose Knuckle Ball Four

Fox says all Panthers practiced

On injuries: Everything is the same. No upgrades or downgrades. Everybody practiced.

On how Jordan Gross has played since moving back to right tackle from left tackle: Jordan has done fine. He's played both for us. He played right tackle his rookie year, came back and played left tackle his sophomore year and now as a junior he's back to right tackle.

On the decision to have Gross change positions: He wasn't moved (because he played poorly). Depending on who you talk to, there are people who believe your best tackle has got to be your left tackle. There are other people that don't believe that. Most offenses are right handed. I think there is myth out there that your left tackle has got to be your best player.

On if believes the left tackle should be a team's best offensive lineman: Not with our particular offense, no. That's just my belief. It's like your right end needs to be your best pass rusher. That was what I considered a myth for a long time. I don't necessarily agree with that either.

On if the Panthers offensive line is performing better as a unit with Gross at right tackle: I think protection wise we've done a good job overall. Is it perfect? No. Nobody's ever is. But we're still sorting some things out, and they're getting used to playing with each other. It's probably the one position group that needs continuity as much as any position out there. I think we've got some newness to that group and we'll just continue to improve as we move along.

On Minnesota's rushing offense: Most everybody now has another back they stick in. With (Michael) Bennett and Mewelde (Moore), the Minnesota Vikings are much the same. I think Mewelde Moore is the guy that's probably a little newer to them. He's a good all-around player. He's a good blocker in protection. He does a good job as a receiver out of the backfield and he's a good runner.

On how the Vikings passing game has changed without wide receiver Randy Moss: There are just not a whole lot of Randy Mosses floating around the League. He's an exceptional guy as far as having a combination of height, speed and ball-getting ability, so that would be an adjustment for anybody, and I'm sure it has been for them.

On how linebacker Will Witherspoon has played since returning from a knee injury: I think it hurt him when he first came back. He wasn't 100 percent. I think at this stage now he is back to 100 percent. These guys for the most part understand the difference between pain and injury, and he definitely had pain even though he was off the injury report and out there playing. But that has gotten better as we've moved forward.

On how often he has seen a back-up quarterback lead a team to victory like Chris Weinke did against Detroit: First of all, you don't like it to happen to you because all of a sudden now you throw a quarterback out there that hasn't had all of the reps that week and hasn't had all the looks. It's like any backup going into a game. Even that backup (who starts because a player is injured), he's gotten all the looks in practice, so from a comfort zone standpoint for both the player and coach that always helps. You never know what you're really going to get when you throw a guy out there because of an injury during the game. That's one of the things you stress as a coach to your players as professionals is they are one play away from being out there. I think the fact that Chris went in there and had success makes it very evident what he's all about as far as his preparation and being ready for that opportunity. That's what this game is about - opportunity.

On if he has more confidence in Weinke now after his performance against Detroit: There are all kinds of tests in this League, and the ultimate test is how you perform in a game. I'm not talking necessarily about a preseason game. I'm not talking about a practice. I'm talking about a real NFL game. Any time a player goes out and does that in a game situation, in particularly a very critical situation in a game, you definitely have a lot more confidence in that player.

On how difficult it is for a player to go back to being a backup after stepping in for a starter: These guys want to play. This is a hard job. It's hard work. It's a long offseason. It's a hard training camp. The reward is to play on Sundays, and when you don't get the opportunity to do that very often, that would be frustrating for anybody. I imagine there is a frustration level because these guys want to play. That's why you do all this work.

Guess that means Colbert may play? I have Holt and Brandon Jones, so looking like I might actually have to start Colbert as my #3. (Driver and Lelie will be 1 and 2)

CHARLOTTE -- There was an unusual sight on the Carolina Panthers' practice field Wednesday -- 53 players.

For what seemed like the first time since the start of training camp, the Panthers had everyone practicing as they prepared for this weekend's game against Minnesota.

"That was the good thing about having the bye (last week)," coach John Fox said. "We got guys healed up and freshened up and ready to go."

Nowhere should that health help more than in their running game. DeShaun Foster practiced for the first time since suffering a bone bruise in his knee on Oct. 9 at Arizona. "He had a good practice," Fox said. "And it looks like there are no ill effects."

Also, veteran Stephen Davis was not listed on the injury report, an indication the rest helped him as well.

• THE REST OF THE REPORT: The Panthers listed Foster (knee), wide receiver Keary Colbert (ankle) and linebacker Dan Morgan (shoulder) as questionable on this week's injury report, though all three practiced fully.

Five players were listed as probable: Defensive end Julius Peppers (hand), cornerback Chris Gamble (ankle), fullback Brad Hoover (shoulder), special teams captain Karl Hankton (toe) and kick returner Rod Smart

Guest MUGS
FrankRizzo  Posted on Oct 27 2005, 08:41 PM

echo echo

I love "Airplane quotes..lol"

Thanks MKB4 for the update

FrankRizzo   Posted on Oct 27 2005, 08:41 PM

echo echo

I love "Airplane quotes..lol"

Thanks MKB4 for the update

it was plaguerized :D