Sign in to follow this  
Guest Moose Knuckle Ball Four

Nolan says Thursday that Dorsey will start

Guest Moose Knuckle Ball Four

Ken Dorsey will start at quarterback for the 49ers on Sunday when they play the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

Coach Mike Nolan made the announcement Thursday after rookie Alex Smith missed a second consecutive day of practice because of strained ligaments in his right knee.

Dorsey, who is in his third season, is the most experienced quarterback left on the 49ers' roster, but he has made only seven starts. All of them came last season when Tim Rattay, who was traded earlier this month to Tampa Bay, was injured.

Nolan said Dorsey has handled himself well in practice, but seemed wary about projecting how things will go for him Sunday. The 49ers, ranked 31st in offense, will be trying to break a five-game losing streak while facing the league's No. 1 defense.

``I won't get my hopes too high, but he's done a nice job,'' Nolan said. ``I'm pleased with Ken. We'll see how it goes. I'm saving my optimism for other things.''

Dorsey, who as the third string quarterback barely practiced this season until Rattay was sent to Tampa Bay on Oct. 18, said he welcomed the chance to get back on the field.

``It's an opportunity for me to go out play and do some good things,'' he said.

Cody Pickett probably will be Dorsey's backup with Smith being the emergency quarterback.

Guest MUGS

At the least, Dorsey is experienced enough with that line to avoid some of the sacks