Sign in to follow this  
Guest Moose Knuckle Ball Four

Vick's lonely receivers hope for more opportunitie

ATLANTA - For all the talk about achieving more balance in the Atlanta Falcons' offense, the team still relies first - and often second and third - on the run.

Michael Vick still posts some ugly passing numbers, and his receivers are perhaps the least-utilized in the league.

Then there's this criticism-silencing reminder: The Falcons take a 5-2 record into their bye week, leaving Vick 28-13-1 in regular-season games as he aims for a repeat trip to the NFC championship game.

It may be foolish to tinker with the winning formula, but Vick's lonely receivers can at least dream of the day when they can be more than decoys for the runs of Warrick Dunn, T.J. Duckett and Vick or the passes to tight end Alge Crumpler.

On Monday night, Vick posted an ugly 16.3 passer rating with three interceptions while completing only three passes for 28 yards to wide receivers. But Vick also ran for two touchdowns in the 27-14 win over the New York Jets.

Following the game, Vick vowed to do a better job of involving his receivers.

"Those guys were running great routes," Vick said. "It's all on me. I'm the quarterback and it's all on my shoulders."

Brian Finneran, the veteran member of the receiving corps who again is a starter after Peerless Price was cut in the preseason and Dez White was demoted before the Jets game, says even while the team is winning, it can be difficult to remain patient.

"It gets a little frustrating," Finneran said.

Finneran says ultimately the offense is going to have to gain more balance if the team hopes to return to the NFC championship game.

"Every week it's a concern and we keep working on it," Finneran said. "We definitely need to improve if we're going to keep winning games down the line."

Against the Jets, rookie Roddy White caught two passes for 20 yards. The only other catch by a wide receiver was for 8 yards to Michael Jenkins. Crumpler led the team with four catches for 66 yards, and his season totals - 27 catches for 375 yards - also lead the team.

The only two players with two touchdown catches are Crumpler and fullback Justin Griffith.

The team spent first-round picks on Jenkins and Roddy White in the last two drafts, proof that receiver has been targeted. But with Jenkins and Finneran the new starters, the results haven't changed.

"I only had two balls thrown my way Monday night," Finneran said. "We had some plays called for the receivers, but a lot of time they were checked down to Warrick and Alge."

Finneran is second on the team with 19 catches. He was encouraged when he led the team with 103 yards on five catches in a loss to New England on Oct. 9, but he has not caught a pass in the last two games.

Vick said this week it can be difficult for any receiver to emerge as the go-to target when he has enjoyed so much success passing to Crumpler.

"I've been thinking about that lately, man, because a lot of things we do are designed for 83," Vick said, referring to Crumpler. "It's designed for Alge to be the guy or to make a great catch or to come open, and he does a great job of it. It's hard to not go to a guy who's smart, who knows how to play his position. Ninety percent of the time on film, he's open. If you throw the ball anywhere close to him, he's going to catch it."

The unspoken inference is that the receivers are not as reliable as Crumpler. When he lost his starting job, Dez White had only two catches. Roddy White was slowed by a preseason injury and only recently has become part of the regular rotation. Jenkins, whose average of 16.6 yards per catch leads the team, could develop as a deep threat, but he is in his first year as a starter.

At 6-foot-5, Finneran can be an effective third-down target, but often Vick's best alternative on key downs is to keep the ball on runs.

"That makes it a little tougher for the receivers, a tougher situation when you've got me pulling the ball down and running when things are not going well," Vick said.

"There's just a lot we've got to game-plan for, a lot that we've got to get involved with how many plays, and it kind of limits their opportunities, man. I'm not the coach around here, man. It's a tough situation for the receivers."

If Jenkins or Roddy White could stretch the defenses with a few successful deep routes, there could be more running room for Dunn, who already has 732 yards rushing, and even more chances for Crumpler in the middle of the field.

"There's a lot of things teams have to defend, but I think we have got to make some kind of plays in the passing game," Vick said. "We can't just line up and run the ball against eight-man boxes all day. ... A great defensive coordinator is going to make adjustments. He's going to shut it down in time, but as long as we can keep him honest in the passing game, then we've got a shot at winning every game we play."

More passing success was predicted for Vick in his second year with coach Jim Mora and offensive coordinator Greg Knapp's scheme.

"No, it's not about learning the offense," Vick said. "I know the offense in and out as far as what we're doing."

Said Finneran: "He's got a full year under his belt. He's more comfortable with it."

"Mike is not your prototypical quarterback, either," he added. "He makes a lot of things happen with his runs, but he knows he has to get us more involved. It'll happen. We've just got to keep working on it."

funny - no link, no credit to the author of this article?

I know you didn't write it, and you just got through saying that you "ALWAYS" credit the authors and never plagurize.

So which is it, glory hog? too arrogant to credit those who deserve it, because you so want to be a fantasy expert? :rolleyes:

Case closed.

I know you didn't write it

as do others.

troll elsewhere

Vick can't pass...and has herpes.

in a nutshell

Well done.

little gem from the MKB4 appreciation topic

Do you have link to that?

I credit all my sources

:rolleyes:

Talk about getting owned.

Give credit where due or stop posting.

Matt Waldman just advised you to do this not 2 weeks back - yet somehow you continue to represent reporting as though you write it all.

I'd rather not have updates from you at all if you can't be bothered to give the authors credit. No class.

B)

Well done.

I credit all my sources at thecommish

Matt Waldman just advised you to do this not 2 weeks back - yet somehow you continue to represent reporting as though you write it all.

I'd rather not have updates from you at all if you can't be bothered to give the authors credit. No class.

B)

i fixed your post to include my actual quote

from this post...

http://www.fftodayforums.com/forum/index.p...dpost&p=2066423

:thumbsdown:

then do not read them :thumbsup:

hth

Well done.

from this post...

And yet you still have yet to credit the author in this topic.

No class.

You plagurizing jerk. Go steal something else for a change - no one wants your stolen news and some of us don't like seeing you get credit for it.

By all mean - provide links and news....just stop misrepresenting it as your own you glory hog. :thumbsup:

Well done.

from this post...

No class.

You plagurizing jerk. Go steal something else for a change - no one wants your stolen news and some of us don't like seeing you get credit for it.

By all mean - provide links and news....just stop misrepresenting it as your own you glory hog. :thumbsup:

don't read them

hth

Well done.

:banana:

from this post...

No class.

don't read them

hth

FYI, I'll be sending the Talahassee Democrat a link to this topic. Seeing as they have the following disclaimer at the bottom of their article...

To request a quote for a Knight Ridder publication, please submit the form below online. We will contact you shortly to provide a price quote and discuss any further details. For more information contact Reprint Management Services at 1-888-414-4534.

E-mails can be sent to knightridder@reprintbuyer.com.

...and strictly forbid any reprinting without permission, I'm sure they'll be most interested in your plagurism here.

I'll be sure to keep an eye peeled for your topics in the future and will gladly inform all those whom you illegally steal & reprint material from.

then we'll see how smug you are. :banana:

you could have at least had the class to credit the author. Apparently you disagree. :rolleyes:

HTH! :banana:

have at it and good luck, we are all counting on you.

Well done.

:banana:

from this post...

No class.

don't read them

hth

FYI, I'll be sending the Talahassee Democrat a link to this topic. Seeing as they have the following disclaimer at the bottom of their article...

To request a quote for a Knight Ridder publication, please submit the form below online. We will contact you shortly to provide a price quote and discuss any further details. For more information contact Reprint Management Services at 1-888-414-4534.

...and strictly forbid any reprinting without permission, I'm sure they'll be most interested in your plagurism here.

I'll be sure to keep an eye peeled for your topics in the future and will gladly inform all those whom you illegally steal & reprint material from.

then we'll see how smug you are. :banana:

you could have at least had the class to credit the author. Apparently you disagree. :rolleyes:

HTH! :banana:

This thread will be right here. Let us please know the outcome.

Well done.

from this post...

No class.

By all mean - provide links and news....just stop misrepresenting it as your own you glory hog. :thumbsdown:

don't read them

hth

then we'll see how smug you are. :thumbsup:

you could have at least had the class to credit the author. Apparently you disagree. :thumbsdown:

HTH! :rolleyes:

I already know the outcome: You're a classless jerk who plagurizes the material that real authors work diligently to produce without giving them a lick of credit.

As you said - this topic will be right here. And here, you failed to do so, even though you claimed to "never" do such a thing. :rolleyes:

As time goes on, perhaps you'll hear from an editor somewhere - not sure how seriously they take this sort of thing, but any time I see an article from you without a link or crediting an author, the author will be notified if I am at all able.

Sad that even the site admins admonished you for this and yet you openly mock them by failing to give credit where do. Such an easy thing, yet so damaging to your fragile little ego I guess. Sad. :(

It's the least I can do. :thumbsup:

Well done.

from this post...

No class.

By all mean - provide links and news....just stop misrepresenting it as your own you glory hog. :thumbsdown:

don't read them

hth

then we'll see how smug you are. :thumbsup:

you could have at least had the class to credit the author. Apparently you disagree. :thumbsdown:

HTH! :rolleyes:

I already know the outcome: You're a classless jerk who plagurizes the material that real authors work diligently to produce without giving them a lick of credit.

As you said - this topic will be right here. And here, you failed to do so, even though you claimed to "never" do such a thing. :rolleyes:

As time goes on, perhaps you'll hear from an editor somewhere - not sure how seriously they take this sort of thing, but any time I see an articule from you without a link or crediting an author, the author will be notified if I am at all able.

Sad that even the site admins admonished you for this and yet you openly mock them by failing to give credit where do. Such an easy thing, yet so damaging to your fragile little ego I guess. Sad. :(

It's the least I can do. :thumbsup:

Have at it. I will be waiting.

Sad that you can't just admit that stealing the work of others is a low thing to do. :rolleyes:

Your smugness about it just makes you look like more of a jerk for doing it, because now it's obvious that it's deliberate. :thumbsdown:

the compulsive need to respond to me is amusing though - like my trained pet monkey. Dance monkey, dance! :thumbsdown:

Sad that you can't just admit that stealing the work of others is a low thing to do. :rolleyes:

Your smugness about it just makes you look like more of a jerk for doing it, because now it's obvious that it's deliberate. :thumbsdown:

the compulsive need to respond to me is amusing though - like my trained pet monkey. Dance monkey, dance! :thumbsdown:

troll on elsewhere

troll on elsewhere

Ah - the old standby, eh?

someone calling you on your theft of other's work and blatent plagurism is "trolling" huh?

How original of a definition. Convenient for you to dismiss anything negative about you as trolling...Funny - I still don't see a link to the article that you didn't write, or the author's name mentioned anywhere. Guess me pointing that out is trolling too, despite it being 100% accurate, eh? :thumbsdown:

You're still stealing the work of others and not crediting them for it - which violates not only the rules of this site but the law and rules of the sources you steal it from...but I guess so long as you get the glory you're ok with it eh?

And anyone who points it out is a "troll". :thumbsdown:

Very convenient.

plagurize on elsewhere. :rolleyes:

I enjoy all mooses threads. He makes it easyer on us that dont like to go read all the local newspapers.

you scooter are the ######

troll on elsewhere

someone calling you on your theft of other's work and blatent plagurism is "trolling" huh?

How original of a definition. Convenient for you to dismiss anything negative about you as trolling...

You're still stealing the work of others and not crediting them for it - which violates not only the rules of this site but the law and rules of the sources you steal it from...but I guess so long as you get the glory you're ok with it eh?

Very convenient.

troll elsewhere

Hey guys ... I wrote a song today .. want to hear it?

"There's a lady who's sure all that glitters is gold

And she's buying a stairway to heaven

And when she gets there she knows if the stores are closed

With a word she can get what she came for"

That's all I got so far but I think it will turn out real nice!!

troll elsewhere

How original of a definition. Convenient for you to dismiss anything negative about you as trolling...Funny - I still don't see a link to the article that you didn't write, or the author's name mentioned anywhere. Guess me pointing that out is trolling too, despite it being 100% accurate, eh? :thumbsdown:

Very convenient.

I think MKB4 already said he wrote it though... :thumbsdown:

I enjoy all mooses threads. He makes it easyer on us that dont like to go read all the local newspapers.

you scooter are the ######

Amen!

Not funny, Annoying! :rolleyes:

its a hit

I have no issues whatsoever with anyone posting news from anywhere.

Most people are honorable enough to not try and pass it off as their own though, and provide links and credit the authors of those articles.

It's the right thing to do. :thumbsup:

MKB4 doesn't seem to think he should be held to those standards based on his responses. I strongly disagree. :thumbsdown:

Most people are honorable enough to not try and pass it off as their own though

Im one busy writer :thumbsdown:

I think you'd be hard pressed to find someone on here who thinks Moose actually writes all of the articles he posts.

also its plagiarism for the record

I think you'd be hard pressed to find someone on here who thinks Moose actually writes all of the articles he posts.

eggzacklee

Alright fockers, I'm gonna barge right in on this little fight over the sandbox toys b/c really you sound like 5 year old schoolgirls and for cripes' sake this is a fockin football site.

Moose, I think you provide good info here that I and many others appreciate b/c you save us the research (and you're a pitt homer :thumbsdown: ), but....really....you should quote your sources. Everyone else here gets ridiculed with "Link?" when they post a story without quoting a source or providing a link. Its professional courtesy to those that write the stories and, honestly, not asking too much. I'm not gonna get into a bunch of legal crap b/c its really just being cool to those that earn their living in journalism to quote sources whenever you copy a story. I don't know what is up scooter's a$$ with you and the stories and if one had to provide a drivers license number to gain access I'm guessing he wouldn't be here. I could rattle off any number of insults on him as a result of this thread.....I've sure as hell got nothin against you scooter, but damn dude, fockin chill out man.

Sorry, but someone needs to interrupt this little hair pulling contest.

oh, and Steelers 27-Ravens 13...... :thumbsup:

:ph34r: IBTL

Rergardless, he is required by the rules of this site and the disclaimers on the sites he bites from to credit the authors.

Moose, I think you provide good info here that I and many others appreciate b/c you save us the research (and you're a pitt homer  :thumbsup: ), but....really....you should quote your sources.  Everyone else here gets ridiculed with "Link?" when they post a story without quoting a source or providing a link.  Its professional courtesy to those that write the stories and, honestly, not asking too much.  I'm not gonna get into a bunch of legal crap b/c its really just being cool to those that earn their living in journalism to quote sources whenever you copy a story.  I don't know what is up scooter's a$$ with you and the stories and if one had to provide a drivers license number to gain access I'm guessing he wouldn't be here.  I could rattle off any number of insults on him as a result of this thread.....I've sure as hell got nothin against you scooter, but damn dude, fockin chill out man. 

Sorry, but someone needs to interrupt this little hair pulling contest.

oh,  and Steelers 27-Ravens 13......     :cheers:

No offense taken - so few people have the gonads to stand up to the mighty moose - and his arrogance and smugness about refusing to credit hard working authors is what's up my arse. I find it to be highly dishonorable behavior - especially coming from someone who is so quick to criticize others when they spell something wrong (see above) or *gasp!* post a link to something he's already posted (see: stolen).

Dual news posts are fine by me - better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it. :thumbsup:

No worries though - I've made my point and I will now move on.

Thanks for asking.

:cheers:

I'd be willing to bet that both Moose and Scooter are both more accurate passers than Vick.

Stevie Wonder is more accurate of a passer than Vick.

:thumbsup:

Guest cklennon

First of all, retards, it'd be copyright infringement and not "PLAGURISM."

And second of all, you're probably right, he probably should include a link, but it doesn't really matter. He's not claiming that he wrote it himself, only an idiot would think that this guy writes all these stories.

Go ahead and tell the Tallahasse Daily Inquirer or whatever-the-###### that some guy on a FFL forum is reprinting their stories. Let me know when they call you back. Don't hold your breath.

Jackasses...find something better to do than assault a guy who diligently, kindly and freely posts all kinds of updates on this board for us to read. Get lost. :thumbsup:

I don't know what is up scooter's a$$ with you and the stories and if one had to provide a drivers license number to gain access I'm guessing he wouldn't be here. I could rattle off any number of insults on him as a result of this thread.....I've sure as hell got nothin against you scooter, but damn dude, fockin chill out man.

oh, and Steelers 27-Ravens 13...... :thumbsup:

agreed :thumbsup: