Sign in to follow this  
BroncosFan

Hoffdaddy

For some reason I want to think that you're from Wisconsin. I hope I'm not mistaken.

Well if you are, what do you know about the Appleton-Neenah communities? I'm interviewing for a company called Plexus that is based out of Neenah. What's there to like/dislike about that area?

For some reason I want to think that you're from Wisconsin.  I hope I'm not mistaken.

Well if you are, what do you know about the Appleton-Neenah communities?  I'm interviewing for a company called Plexus that is based out of Neenah.  What's there to like/dislike about that area?

Yes, yes I am. I lived in Green Bay for about 2 years, which is only about 30 minutes north. Appleton (Fox Valley) is one of the faster growing areas in the state. I have several friends and relatives in the Appleton area. Great place to live.

Not sure where you're coming from, but it has a bit of a small town feel, as you would expect. The downtown life in Appleton isn't half bad, but don't expect a great deal.

Cost of living is reasonable, as are housing prices. I was actually shocked at the difference in cost of living between the Fox Valley and Madison, so you'll be in good shape in this respect.

There's a actually a decent culture here. The Fox Cities Performing Arts Center is new, and offers some pretty good entertainment. As for sports, the Timber Rattlers minor league team is nearby, and I really enjoyed games there.

Also, since Green Bay is close, you have Arena Football (Blizzard), and hockey (Gamblers).

http://www.foxcitieschamber.com/

http://www.appleton.org/index.shtml

I know right where Plexus is, but don't know a whole lot about them. I can check around and see if anyone can tell me about working there.

Any specific questions?

I'm coming from small town South Dakota so anything I'm sure it'll feel pretty big to me. Town I grew up in has 1400 peolple and was the largest town for 100 miles any direction. Nearest fast food chain was 100 miles away and I had multiple friends that I grew up with that had to ride a bus 50 miles just to get to our school. I have lived in Denver for a a couple of summers and have lived in small town Iowa doing internships so I've had a wide variety of living atmospheres.

I noticed on the map that Neenah and Appleton are separated by a river and a large lake is nearby. How's the lake atmosphere in that area? Good area to go out and have a good time?

I'm coming from small town South Dakota so anything I'm sure it'll feel pretty big to me. Town I grew up in has 1400 peolple and was the largest town for 100 miles any direction. Nearest fast food chain was 100 miles away and I had multiple friends that I grew up with that had to ride a bus 50 miles just to get to our school. I have lived in Denver for a a couple of summers and have lived in small town Iowa doing internships so I've had a wide variety of living atmospheres.

I noticed on the map that Neenah and Appleton are separated by a river and a large lake is nearby. How's the lake atmosphere in that area? Good area to go out and have a good time?

Yes. The lakes/river are a very large part of the culture. Fishing, boating, etc. All big time activities. Plenty of opportunity there. Plus, just an hour or so north is some great rafting on the Wolf river, if you're into that. I did that a few years ago and it was a lot of fun. And, you can get involved in the big Sturgeon spearing season if you're so inclined.

Appleton, and heck even Green Bay, keep their small town feel, despite being "bigger" cities. I felt very comfortable there. I grew up in a town of 1300 people, so I know where you're coming from.

This would be a good question for Filtzy too. He lives and works in the area.

Do you know much about Plexus? Do they have a good reputation in the area? It was pretty random how I came about the interview and when they asked if I wanted to interview with them, I barely could even remember sending them a resume. I've done the basic research on the company on the website, but you can only get so much from there.

Plexus. I wouldn't work at that f**king place. Just kidding. Haven't really heard anything bad about working there, but I haven't heard anything great either. The company I work for has done some IT consulting work for them off and on over the past few years. Some of the IT managers are less than desirable, but I think they moved on already. What department will you be working in? Sorry I can't help you out a little more. I'll ask our sales rep for Plexus to get his feedback.

Later.

I'm interviewing with the engineering department. Probably would be placed in one of the manufacturing plants as I am no design engineer.....I'm an industrial engineer. It's not a sure thing they'll make me an offer anyway. I'm outside of their recruiting area so they are less likely to make me an offer since they fear I'll want to get back closer to home. Most people apparently haven't been to South Dakota or else they'd realize that not many of us want to stick close to home.....partly because there are no jobs.

I'm also going to be in Illinois interviewing. Not sure I can handle those Bears fans :blink: