Sign in to follow this  
hankhawaii

Any help on starting a new FF Site

Hi guys, I've posted here before, but I forgot my old username after the board was down for that long time.

Basically, I have this seriously kick-ass idea for a new FF gaming site. I'm both a designer and developer. Know PHP, MySQL, Flash actionscript, etc. I'm ready to invest a number of months into designing and building the whole thing, but before I do, I want to know if anyone knows of how I would be able to obtain player and live game statistics?

I could probably create some kind of constantly running sniffer on NFL.com or ESPN or any other site as a sort of hack job that would work, but I was wondering if there was an official place to get the feeds, which would make it easier, and if so how much it would cost.

I know there's an issue with the NFLPA and Fantasy sites right now, so I may be wasting my time entirely.

I'd appreciate any help.

By the way, it would involve a lot of Flash animations. I don't want to give too much away, but what I know is lacking in every FF gaming site out there is the lack of excitement represented on the website. I mean, your player scores a touchdown, and you see a little blip of that player's number increase by 6 points. Inside, you're jumping for joy. And all you get on the site is a little number-change?

For any computer geeks out there, you know of all the Web 2.0 stuff happening all over the place. Why not for fantasy football? This will be Fantasy Football 2.0.

Hi guys, I've posted here before, but I forgot my old username after the board was down for that long time.

Basically, I have this seriously kick-ass idea for a new FF gaming site. I'm both a designer and developer. Know PHP, MySQL, Flash actionscript, etc. I'm ready to invest a number of months into designing and building the whole thing, but before I do, I want to know if anyone knows of how I would be able to obtain player and live game statistics?

I could probably create some kind of constantly running sniffer on NFL.com or ESPN or any other site as a sort of hack job that would work, but I was wondering if there was an official place to get the feeds, which would make it easier, and if so how much it would cost.

I know there's an issue with the NFLPA and Fantasy sites right now, so I may be wasting my time entirely.

I'd appreciate any help.

By the way, it would involve a lot of Flash animations. I don't want to give too much away, but what I know is lacking in every FF gaming site out there is the lack of excitement represented on the website. I mean, your player scores a touchdown, and you see a little blip of that player's number increase by 6 points. Inside, you're jumping for joy. And all you get on the site is a little number-change?

For any computer geeks out there, you know of all the Web 2.0 stuff happening all over the place. Why not for fantasy football? This will be Fantasy Football 2.0.

Try Stats Inc. and All Start Stats. Look up "Stats Services" on Google...

Thanks Wildman. I'll look into those.

congressmanreality, I haven't been following the issue that closely, but I don't believe it's illegal yet. I think the NFL still hasn't officially decided what they want to do.

Also, one other thing, I really think I have a killer idea, and I'm actually not that interested in becoming a millionaire or anything. I was actually already thinking of programming this thing just for me and my friends.

If anything, I may just make the thing open source to circumvent any legal issues, and the thing won't initially have any player names, which I think is the real issue. I would then probably have some place on a 3rd party server with simple instructions on how to implement the actual player names in there. Well, I'm not completely sure right now anyway. Just thinking of ideas.

Also, I probably wouldn't have this ready for this season. I would have plenty of programming done, but this season would be a test run so I could work out bugs and stuff.