Sign in to follow this  
nobody

Runningbacks taken in round 1 at pick 20 or later versus attempts

Just because I'm sick and tired of hearing about how teams don't draft runningbacks in the first round and have them sit on the bench

Here are the runningbacks taken with pick number 20 or later versus number of carries in their rookie season since 1982

*led team in attempts

Rashaan Salaam 296*

Greg Bell 262*

Kevin Jones 241*

Antowain Smith 194*

Michael Bennett 172*

Vaughn Dunbar 154* (poor saints :banana:)

John Avery 143

Greg Hill 141

Steven Jackson 134

Steve Broussard 126

Gary Anderson 116 (drafted in '83 didn't play until '85)

Dexter Carter 114

Rodney Hampton 109

Lorenzo Hampton 105

Harvey Williams 97

Robert Smith 82

Steve Sewell 81

Roger Vick 77

Craig Heyward 74

Gerald Wilhite 70

Brad Muster 44

Cleveland Gary 37

Neal Anderson 35

Lorenzo White 31

Larry Johnson 20

Deuce McAllister 16

Reggie Dupard 15

Terrence Flagler 6

Trung Canidate 3

Chris Perry 2

Rod Bernstine 1

Jarrod Bunch 1

Willis McGahee 0

Obviously, two-thirds of the backs drafted in the latter third of the first round spent alot of time on the bench.

i assume you are talking about the trio of Williams/Maroney/Addai

well, i have this to say

the teams picking 20+ are the better teams so they likely already have a stud or at the least a competent RBBC that got their record good enough to pick that late

Williams and Maroney both fall into that but IMO Addai does not

if Edge were still in town he'd be a sitting duck but i beleive that he was drafted to come in and start over Rhodes

they were all picked to be the future back, that is no question, but Carolina and New England have starters albeit questionable ones at this juncture

Foster has been unable to finish a season and Dillon has been declining in each of the past years

i think it is unlikely that these two guys will be unseates but really, what has Dominic Rhodes done to give him that luxury?

he's been a back up all his career and he was never drafted to be the future back in the first place

Addai being that guy of the future should really be coming in as the starter

RB is one of the easier transitions from college and rookie RBs can normally do very well

if he has the blocking and playbook down, why would they sit him over a career back up in Rhodes?

fyi,

since 1982, out of all RBs drafted in the 1st round after pick 16 (so pick 17 on), only eight of them ended their rookie year as one of the top 24 fantasy RBs for that season - meaning 8 of 45 guys were quality #1 or #2 Fantasy RBs their rook year.

Now if you take RBs drafted from pick #20 on, that number drops to 4 out of 32...

So the rooks may get the touches, and put up "decent" stats, but the trend isn't there to count on them as a #1 or #2 RB THIS year... the bigger question is how do they effect the #s of the incumbent starter...