Sign in to follow this  
mattxweltner

Non-Standard Scoring Leagues

so i just joined a league who's specs look like this:

Roster Positions: QB, WR, WR, RB, RB, TE, W/R, K, DEF, 5 BN

*** standard scoring in italics ***

Stat Categories: Passing Yards : 50 yards per point (25 yds/pt)

Passing Touchdowns : 6 (4)

Interceptions : -2

Rushing Yards : 15 yards per point (10 yds)

Rushing Touchdowns : 6

Reception Yards : 15 yards per point (25 yds)

Reception Touchdowns : 6

Return Touchdowns : 6

2-Point Conversions : 2

and everything else is standard.

so....

RBs are less valuable; WRs are more valuable; QBs who score touchdowns are more valuable than ones who rack up yards without scoring; no bonus for long plays (standard scoring gives 2 extra points for TD plays over 40 yards)...

how should this affect my draft?

two running backs and a flex seems kinda wierd, should i maybe just use my first three picks on RBs? but i'll be getting less out of them... and WRs are stronger...

please discuss, any thoughts at all you have.

i've played in FFL leagues for the past few years, but never in anything that was scored like this.

thanks in advance

standard scoring for WRs is 10 yards to a point, just like RBs. so your new scoring affects them both equally -- all RB/WRs score slightly less points, and the gap between the best and worst decreases some, so they become slightly less valuable.

as for QBs, there are two main ways of scoring. either 4 per TD and 0 per INT, or 6 and -2 like yours. the way yours is set up is intended to make QBs worth a bit more. only usually the yardage stays at 25 per point, not 50... and i tend to think that that part offsets what the boost in TDs added. if you think about it, put an average QB at 20 TDs and 15 INTs. that means an extra 20x2=40 points for his TDs, and an extra 15x-2=-30 points for his INTs, meaning only 10 points difference over the season. so unless you have a stud like manning who has a ton more TDs than INTs, that part doesnt make a big difference. the yardage going down just makes QBs as a whole decrease in value some.

bottom line is, though the scoring has changed, most of the positions should still be about the same. consider QBs worth slightly more than usual, otherwise youre good to go. oh, and this should go without saying, but you'll want to focus a little more on TD guys and a little less on yardage guys.

as for strategy, since you can start 3 RBs, id get my 3 in the top 5 rounds at first. if the value is there and theres guys you like, even top 3 rounds. i dont happen to like any of the normal 2nd round RBs, so i'd probably go RB, stud WR or manning, RB, RB in the first four rounds.