Sign in to follow this  
RicemanX

Is it me? Or are there a lot of questionable RBs?

There are a LOT of RBs in the 1st and 2nd round that I am very afraid to draft. Wondering if you guys could help and give me assurance on some of them:

Tiki Barber: getting older

Edge: New team, downgraded o line and qb

Lamont Jordan: Bad team, bad o-line

Steven Jackson: Inconsistency, only 2 games over 100 yds last year

Ronnie Brown: Unproven young starter

Carnell Williams: Unproven young starter

Brian Westbrook: injury risk, QB injury recovery

Willis McGahee: Inconsistency, bad offense

Willie Parker: Possible RBBC, one year wonder?

Kevin Jones: Why is this guy still considered in the 1st - 4th round?

Dom Davis: Bad offense, injury risk

Except the top 4 guys, the only safe RB pick I see is Rudi Johnson...

Am I too paranoid here?

in previous years you used to be able to get two good running backs...this year you will be lucky to get one. i'm drafting fourth and am going with barber.

There are a LOT of RBs in the 1st and 2nd round that I am very afraid to draft. Wondering if you guys could help and give me assurance on some of them:

Tiki Barber: getting older

Edge: New team, downgraded o line and qb

Lamont Jordan: Bad team, bad o-line

Steven Jackson: Inconsistency, only 2 games over 100 yds last year

Ronnie Brown: Unproven young starter

Carnell Williams: Unproven young starter

Brian Westbrook: injury risk, QB injury recovery

Willis McGahee: Inconsistency, bad offense

Willie Parker: Possible RBBC, one year wonder?

Kevin Jones: Why is this guy still considered in the 1st - 4th round?

Dom Davis: Bad offense, injury risk

Except the top 4 guys, the only safe RB pick I see is Rudi Johnson...

Am I too paranoid here?

Agreed there are many questions, but I don't think Barber and James belong on the list. Both are in offenses that should stretch the field most every week. Both catch the ball reasonably well. Both are vets with a proven track record.

We're all getting older and, if I recall, last pre-season was rife with 'will Tiki break down' and 'Jacobs steals Barbers carries' threads. The guy just keeps rolling along.

James? He's got a lot to prove, and I expect him to do so. I know they couldn't run the ball last year, but comparing Arrington & Shipp to Edge is like...well, like comparing Arrington & Shipp to Edge. He's a straight ahead, downfield runner. Helps the o-line block and keeps the QB healthy.

I don't think you're paranoid at all. This is a rough year for RBs. You can look at any RB and there's some sort of "negative" change this offseason that will make you question their value.

However, the best thing to do is just look at your draft position, figure out who you think will be available, and go from there. They're all going to have questions, so choose the one you feel most comfortable with.

You're not paranoid at all.... In fact theres alot more than just RB troubles in 2006... The whole league has question marks with all the off-season movement (Coaches, Coordinators, New Qb's, injuries, O-lines, Big player movement, etc..)

I warned everyone in a different thread a few weeks ago....It's going to be a very low scoring year while offenses take time to get used to the new systems, changes, etc...

Guest cuseinroch

there are ALWAYS questionable RBs.

Last year, the best performance I could find on the Internet was getting 6 out of 10 top 10 RBs correct. Most had only 4 or 5. In most leagues, Kevin Jones and mcGahee were WAY above Rudi Johnson and Steven Jackson.

After the top 3/4 its kinda a crap shoot for the next 20. I feel its that way every year though, the upcoming year always looks worse than it is!!

First few picks are pretty solid... SA, LJ and LT

4-8 are a pickem though its pretty safe... Portis, Edge, Rudi, Tiki, Jordan

9-16 are tougher and where the question marks come up, not a question of ability but of actual performance or possible injury concerns... SJax, Carnell, Ronnie Brown, Dom, Westbrook, Julius Jones, Benson or TJ etc...

If you pick in the top 8, you're okay... after that there are some safer picks, but nothing considered absolute.

All that said... no matter who you pick, you have to pick a solid #2 and #3 because injuries are always a possibility and losing production of any of these guys for a significant period of time can ruin your season.