Sign in to follow this  
sackdaddy

Dynasty Rookie Draft Pick 2

Since we're talking dynasty....Addai is the only choice. The Colts had Mungro and Rhodes, so when they drafted Addai, it let us know they don't have all the faith in Mungro and Rhodes. Addai seems to have all the tools to be a great back in that system. He may not win the starting job this year, but I think it's inevitable that he will be the feature back on the most potent offense in the NFL.

Maroney is very good..but I'm not a big believer in the Pats running game.

DeAngelo looks like he could be a stud, problem is, as long as Foster stays healthy....it's his job.

LenDale has never had to carry the load, so we don't know what to expect from him.

A guy you didn't mention was Brian Calhoun of the LIons...I think he is an excellent pick for dynasty leagues. He has the tools to be great...if Jones can't get the job done/gets hurt....Calhoun could be the one to step in....and he might not ever let the job go!!

After Bush.....

Laurence Maroney - Corey Dillon isn't going to be effective for much longer. Maroney could even see significant time this season by the end of the year. In 2007 he has a great chance of being NE's featured back and carrying nearly 20 times a game. Not only is he a talented RB, but he landed in a good spot as well.

DeAngelo Williams - DeShaun Foster is talented, but he is injury prone and may be better used as a situational RB. I think it would take an injury to Foster in order for Williams to unseat him this season, but down the road ('07 or '08), Williams could be the featured back.

Shelton is on the roster, but at the moment, he doesn't appear to be anymore than a short yardage/GL back and he still needs to prove he can handle that role. If it weren't for Foster signing a 4-5 year deal in the offseason, I'd be higher on Williams, but that backfield may be bit crowded for a few seasons before Williams fully takes over.

Joseph Addai - He has talent and impressed enough during workouts to move into the 1st RD of the draft. He still has a lot to prove however and if it weren't for the team he was drafted by being so talented, he wouldn't rank as highly in Dynasty Leagues. One thing seems certain--he'll have the chance to be the featured back in Indianapolis. What isn't certain is wether he can handle that role.

If he earns and retains the position, he's a great selection. The downside is that he never really developes into a true featured RB and the Colts draft James' real replacement in another season or two. The situation he's in make him worth the selection, but there is some reason for concern with selecting him.

LenDale White - I like him and the coach he plays for, but the Titans offense seems a little murky to me. Look at their roster now and tell me which guys are clearly starters for the foreseeable future (as in 2-3 years from now they'll still be starting for the team). In the right situation I could've seen selecting him over Williams and/or Addai, but the fact that he's in Tennessee scares me away a little bit. Vince Young doesn't excite me, none of their WRs really do either and I'm not sure what to make of their OL.

Jerious Norwood - There's been a lot of positive reports on this guy since being selected by the Falcons. In another year or two he could replace Warrick Dunn as the teams featured RB. In some ways, I like his chances of success more than a few of the others listed above.

Solid as usual kilroy.

i like maroney for the end of this year and for years to come.

addai - high risk, very high reward.

norwood - should be taking duckett's spot in ATL as i type and he could have independent value for TDs like duckett even if dunn remains the starter this year.

Different opinion here. 2 options to maximize the pick - try to trade down to #5 (picking up a 2nd maybe?). Similar to the "regular draft" there is a lot of equivilant expectations in the backs mentioned. Trade down and take who's left. If you can't do that, I would go Leinart #2 and target the following backs in Rd 2 & 3 - Norwood, Humes, Calhoun and PJ Daniels (3rd round if you go that far). I think the first 3 mentioned has as much potential as the guys listed.

Kilroy..... you are right on. Especially about Norwood. I would draft him #4 if I had the pick. I have the #2 pick and #7 and have been active on posts about Rookie Dynasty Drafts. I am taking Maroney because of his age. 2 years younger than DeAngelo. I think they are close Each has pros, each has cons. So I'll go with youth.

I'm posting though because I am floored by people's value in Leinart. #2? Are you serious? I realize my league puts very little value on QB's. Less than they should. I stole Eli 2 years ago with the #11 pick. CRAZY, I know.

But you should NEVER, EVER, NEVER take a QB with potential (no matter what his situation) over a RB with potiential. QB's can be had a much lower price than RB's. Peyton, as good as he is, isn't that much better than the next 6-8 QB's. He's more consistent. But I would rather have a top 12 or 15 RB and top 8 QB, than the #1 QB and a RB who's not in the top 20.

I am betting that Leinart will, without a doubt, go no earlier than 10, and will likely fall to the early 2nd round. Probably the 1st pick of the 2nd round..

Is my league the only one that puts so little value on QB's?

One other thought..... about Addai.

It was noted he should be taken #2 hands down. My take is that if Addai had gone to any team but Colts, he wouldn't even be mentioned in the top 5. If Drew, Daniels, Norwood, Calhoun, or anyone for that matter had gone to the Colts, they would be talked about as being a "must have RB" like Addai. I think he is not going to be the RB that everyone expects. He was drafted, NOT because of his running abilities, but because of his blocking abilities. People forget how good of a blocker James was.

I like to think of RB's value as if they were on a different team. It's helps separate the hype. Imagine if Addai were drafted by Jacksonville. Would he be equally hyped as now? Probably not. Maybe less so than Drew, in my opinion.

Bush, Maroney, and Williams...... no matter where they went, they were going to be top 3.

Have I mentioned how much I like Norwood?

I am the Leinart "reacher", so let me plead my case. I agree, RB's with potential are better than QB's. That said, I am not high on Leinart for Leinart's sake, but because of his weapons and the fact that he could produce earlier than some of the backs in the rookie class. Also, I think there is a difference in Dynasty moves versus redrafts. You have Manning, Palmer, Brady (maybe Hasselbeck/Eli), then a bunch of equal talent who may or may not be there 4-5 years down the road. Leinart has a much opportunity to become the next Palmer as Addai does of being the next Edge (if not more). I think it also comes down to what you need when you draft. If you have LJ, Brown/Jackson, Westbrook and you are at pick 2, but also have Favre, Delhomme, doesn't Leinart make more sense? I would definitely rather trade out than take Leinart #2, but I do think 5 years from now people will sit back and say "I wish I had him".

I am the Leinart "reacher", so let me plead my case. I agree, RB's with potential are better than QB's. That said, I am not high on Leinart for Leinart's sake, but because of his weapons and the fact that he could produce earlier than some of the backs in the rookie class. Also, I think there is a difference in Dynasty moves versus redrafts. You have Manning, Palmer, Brady (maybe Hasselbeck/Eli), then a bunch of equal talent who may or may not be there 4-5 years down the road. Leinart has a much opportunity to become the next Palmer as Addai does of being the next Edge (if not more). I think it also comes down to what you need when you draft. If you have LJ, Brown/Jackson, Westbrook and you are at pick 2, but also have Favre, Delhomme, doesn't Leinart make more sense? I would definitely rather trade out than take Leinart #2, but I do think 5 years from now people will sit back and say "I wish I had him".

It'd be hard for me to pass on Maroney in order to select Leinart (at any point in the draft), but I understand your reasoning. If Leinart goes on to perform like Carson Palmer or other top QBs, people won't be laughing at you for taking him a little high.

When I had my Dynasty draft, I grabbed him at #7. The first six off the board were Bush, Maroney, Williams, Addai, LenDale and Vernon Davis. After those six, I couldn't see Leinart lasting much longer. He's in an excellent situation and even if he lives up to half his potential, he should have some great seasons with the talent surrounding him.

It's hard to pass on top RBs for a QB in dyansty drafts, but if your scoring system makes a top QB more valuable than a mediocre #2/3RB, I would say Leinart is more of a sure thing than some of the RBs going ahead of him.