Sign in to follow this  
ajspence

some newbie questions

I am brand new to your compiler/buddy - so forgive me if my questons are repeats.

1) Our league/auction draft has minimum bid amounts on each position. Is there a way to support this currently?

2) We transfer player "values" in trades, but our "cash available" may not be affected. (Same question)

3) Does the draft buddy support trades in any way, or is there software for this ( I thought one thread mentioned a "trade buddy")?

Thanks

John

Hi John. Welcome aboard!

1. Yes, you set the minimum bid amount in the Compiler on the setup tab. Also make sure to set the minimum bid increment even if those two things are the same. Most leagues they are (say $1 min bid and bids must be in whole dollars, but some leagues they are different ... 0.50 cent minimum, bidding increases by 0.25 cents).

2. Not exactly sure what you mean here. You can input trades which happen during the draft in Draft Buddy. Of course, this doesn't usually happen during an auction... Draft Buddy is a draft tool for tracking the draft, so anything that happens after that (trades, roster moves, etc.) are not really meant to be tracked in DB.

Oh, one other thing that might be relevant... if you have a keeper league, then you can set the players kept and the dollar amount of their contracts before the auction, plus input any "dead money" to each team to account for different opening salary cap room before the auction starts.

3. See above re: trades. Yes, trades can be input into DB. Trade Buddy was a beta software tool we released a year ago in-season, which was designed more to compare rosters and grade trades as improving or worsening each team. We pulled it for now because we didn't have the resources to support it fully. It may make a return appearance this season.

Some clarification on my original ?s

1) Is there a way to set up minimum bids BY POSITION. If so, can you give me more detailed instructions?

2) Believe me, trades occur during our draft. Our league is a bunch of local guys, and its points only. Our commisioner had to limit the number of transactions per team just to be able to keep track of it all. Anyway, if I get Tomlinson in round one for $120, and someone offers me Alexander ($110) plus $10, how do you suggest I input that?

3) Same scenario as above, except he offers Alexander and $8 (I would have less cash available tan actual cap space now). How could I handle that?

Forgive me if I am getting too technical on you.

New question:

What is the purpose of the scoring that our league uses being input in the compiler?

Some clarification on my original ?s

1) Is there a way to set up minimum bids BY POSITION. If so, can you give me more detailed instructions?

2) Believe me, trades occur during our draft. Our league is a bunch of local guys, and its points only. Our commisioner had to limit the number of transactions per team just to be able to keep track of it all. Anyway, if I get Tomlinson in round one for $120, and someone offers me Alexander ($110) plus $10, how do you suggest I input that?

3) Same scenario as above, except he offers Alexander and $8 (I would have less cash available tan actual cap space now). How could I handle that?

Forgive me if I am getting too technical on you.

New question:

What is the purpose of the scoring that our league uses being input in the compiler?

Wow, sounds like a crazy time at your auction!

1. No, not in the Compiler where you calculate the values. Why would you want to do this (curious)? You can adjust the dollar values in Draft Buddy after you pull them into Buddy from the Compiler. There are options there to adjust the dollar values by position, and within a certain rank to rank, up or down by a % or $ amount. If I wanted to say, set all bottom RB who pop out at $1 to $2, I would use this function by just picking what ranked players fall in this range, and set auction value = $2. Hit a button and it all updates.

2. For that I would just switch the team that won the player at auction on the auction input tab. Tomlinson then goes to the other team at $120 which is already in Buddy, and Alexander goes to you at $110 which is also already in Buddy, so the remaining cap values will update appropriately to account for him "giving you" $10.

3. This is more complicated. I can see now your league could be a nightmare to track for the Commish! But here is how I would do it... same as #2, switch the players on the auction input tab... and then add $2 to your dead money input on the keepers tab for your team. You effectively lost $2 with nothing to show for it - it became dead money against your cap. Even if you don't have keepers, you can open the keepers tab by using Format > Sheet > Unhide, select keepers and OK. If you need more teams than are shown there, let me know and I can tell you how to open up more teams.

Bonus question: The purpose of putting your league's scoring in the Compiler is so it can calculate the expected fantasy points for all players against our projections in the Compiler, and then it knows how to apprpriately rank the players for your league and in your case, figure out the dollar amounts. Is that what you meant?

This sounds like a fun league :banana: I would be willing to attend this draft as a non-participant just to watch these trade talks mid-auction and see how this works.

Awesome, Mike. thanks for the input. BTW, we have different starting values on different positions for drop/add purposes during the season. This again is to limit the number of transactions. Dropping and adding is not slowed by the salary cap, thus the reason for a "cash account" to work with. We can only drop/add if we have the money to do so. Yes, it is a nightmare for the commish to track. That is why I wanted to find a program like this one to help him do the draft. Now we can import the database info after the draft from Draft Buddy to a new spreadsheet for our regular season transactions to track our scoring, trades, and money. Why don't you get busy and put this together for us so we can just download weekly stats and forget about inputting the numbers by hand week after week? :D The compiler is already set up to track our scoring method so it should not be too tough! I could send you a sample of our "elaborate" spreadsheet to start with if you would like! :(

As fun as that sounds... :unsure: ... ;) I think I will pass.

Actually, I did consider this before. A complete league management system in Excel. But, the reality was that web based league managers are so good now that it really would be a losing battle to try something along those lines. Have you tried www.myfantasyleague.com for your league? It is very good with tons of options for contract leagues, tracking dollar amounts, etc.