Sign in to follow this  
alex5444

TD Heavy League, Pick a QB early?

My brother is playing in a fantasy league for the first time this year and I told him I'd help him draft, as I've been doing fantasy football for the last 6 years.

The issue is....the scoring system his league uses is a bit odd.

40 Passing Yards = 1 point

35 Receiving Yards = 1 point

30 Rushing Yards = 1 point

Passing touchdowns are worth 6 points.

In a league such as this where passing yards are worth close to as much as rushing yards, Would taking Peyton Manning with a high first round pick be acceptable? I'd never take a QB with a first (or 2nd-4th for that matter) in most leagues, but this scoring system seems to heavily favor Quarterbacks.

Also, it seems that receivers are almost exclusively getting their points from touchdowns, as even a 120 yard game would only net them 4 fantasy points. Which receivers would you target in this format? The league starts 2 WR's and offers a WR/TE flex position. I feel like tight ends would be pretty valuable in this league as TD vultures.

I'd appreciate any input.

Whether you get 40 points or 20 points for passing yards the difference isn't that great.

My league 1/10 Rush & 1/20 passing. It's the same difference. 10 points.

It would depend greatly on his draft position. 6th or later?

If so then yes I might grab a QB & WR with the 10th & 11th or 12th & 13th depending on if it is a 10 or 12 man league. But only if it's Manning. If not you can get a Brees, Delhomme, Brooks, T Green, type QB much later and it won't be much difference.

Value QBs can be had in the 6th or 7th round while you get a good RB/WR combo with the first two picks.

I would say you are on the right track by taking a QB early. If, let's say, (ignoring TD's for now) your QB got you 250 yards, your #1 WR 80 yards, and # 1 RB 100 yards, based on their scoring system the QB would account for over half of those points. Compare that against a "standard" scoring system (assuming 1 pt/25 yds pass, 15 rec, and 10 rush), the QB with the same stats would only account for less than 40% of those total points.

The only issue I see is sacrificing a decent RB for a stud QB might leave you with 2 lame RB's. But even in that case two 100 yd RB would yield only 2 more points that two 70 yd rushers... without TD's of course.

Hope that helps??

I would say you are on the right track by taking a QB early. If, let's say, (ignoring TD's for now) your QB got you 250 yards, your #1 WR 80 yards, and # 1 RB 100 yards, based on their scoring system the QB would account for over half of those points. Compare that against a "standard" scoring system (assuming 1 pt/25 yds pass, 15 rec, and 10 rush), the QB with the same stats would only account for less than 40% of those total points.

The only issue I see is sacrificing a decent RB for a stud QB might leave you with 2 lame RB's. But even in that case two 100 yd RB would yield only 2 more points that two 70 yd rushers... without TD's of course.

Hope that helps??

Yes it does, I appreciate it. Thanks

My league is even heavier on TD's. Each TD = 10 pts, regardless of position.

Then we have 1/10 rush/rec, 1/20 pass. It's ppr and all types of other things. Extremely high scoring.

QB's definitely have a high value in this league if they are going to throw 25+ TD's. However, in the time I've been running it, the person owning Manning has never won. The past several years Manning has gone in the first 5 or 6 picks. That team usually ends up with a RB1 who bottom tier RB1 at best or even two mediocre RB2's. This usually ends as their downfall. Every year someone at the end of the first round will try and QB/WR or WR/WR combo and they usually end up crushed by the end.

My league is even heavier on TD's. Each TD = 10 pts, regardless of position.

Then we have 1/10 rush/rec, 1/20 pass. It's ppr and all types of other things. Extremely high scoring.

QB's definitely have a high value in this league if they are going to throw 25+ TD's. However, in the time I've been running it, the person owning Manning has never won. The past several years Manning has gone in the first 5 or 6 picks. That team usually ends up with a RB1 who bottom tier RB1 at best or even two mediocre RB2's. This usually ends as their downfall. Every year someone at the end of the first round will try and QB/WR or WR/WR combo and they usually end up crushed by the end.

True, but in that scoring system. RB's were still getting a point for every ten yards. It took QB's double the amount of yards to earn a fantasy point In this league, a RB only gets a point for every 30 yards, with a QB only needed 40 yards which is a much smaller ratio than in your league. If Manning puts up a max of 4000 (which could even be higher. in 2004 he threw for over 4557)...that comes out to 250 yards a game which would net him 6 fantasy points. Lets say the top RB gets 1600 yards rushing, which is 100 yards a game...that still only gets him 3 fantasy points which is half of what Manning would get each week. Then you add in the TD's and Manning seems far and away the best player, don't you think?