Sign in to follow this  
esoitl

WR2s vs lesser WR1s

Reggie Wayne and Houshmandzadeh are both being pimped out huge this year and i guess for good reasons

they are both on teams with good offenses that like to throw the ball a lot and they get their share of looks

i can never use a high pick on these guys though

if you look at the stats from last year, guys like Coles, Muhammed, Mason, Branch, Rod Smith, and Antonio Bryant all had more looks go their way than did Wayne

despite the fact that Wayne did out produce some of these guys, albeit the ones he didnt came from the worst offenses in the league, why do these guys command such higher picks?

i can see people looking at upside but i think it goes the other way, Wayne is targetted less and therefore actually has less of an upside

a marginal improvement for some of these WRs offense could easily vault them over Wayne's production, in most cases he only scored about 10-15 points more

a question to those who pick these guys high, what is your reasoning for doing so

like i said, i find it really hard to pick a 2nd WR for any team as long as there is a #1 still on the board and therefore these guys never land on my roster

am i crazy to think it is a better play having a guy like Coles or Mason this year than Wayne?

i have the same issue. it's probably psychological, but it's there. i drafted a team's #2 WR for the first time last year (Ike) and didn't like it one bit. sure, he was hurt, but even when healthy i hated watching the games, knowing that torry was option #1. not sure if i'll ever draft a team's #2 WR again.

Reggie Wayne and Houshmandzadeh are both being pimped out huge this year and i guess for good reasons

they are both on teams with good offenses that like to throw the ball a lot and they get their share of looks

i can never use a high pick on these guys though

if you look at the stats from last year, guys like Coles, Muhammed, Mason, Branch, Rod Smith, and Antonio Bryant all had more looks go their way than did Wayne

despite the fact that Wayne did out produce some of these guys, albeit the ones he didnt came from the worst offenses in the league, why do these guys command such higher picks?

i can see people looking at upside but i think it goes the other way, Wayne is targetted less and therefore actually has less of an upside

a marginal improvement for some of these WRs offense could easily vault them over Wayne's production, in most cases he only scored about 10-15 points more

a question to those who pick these guys high, what is your reasoning for doing so

like i said, i find it really hard to pick a 2nd WR for any team as long as there is a #1 still on the board and therefore these guys never land on my roster

am i crazy to think it is a better play having a guy like Coles or Mason this year than Wayne?

I completely agree and have thought the same thing. WR2s have too many non-productive games. I'd rather have A. Bryant (this year) or E. Kennison or L. Coles or any other number of WR1s. But someone will take Housh and R. Wayne in the draft and much too high.

Well I for one made it to the championship game with both of these guys last year in a 12 man leauge without points for receptions. Say what you like, but they are both very productive on a consistent level. Housch was drafted probably in the 7th or 8th round for me as i recall.

What I'm working with this year is a 3-column board with #1, #2, #3 WR's. Each column is ranked and tiered individually. Then the issue becomes at which point does a top tier #2 supplant a 2nd or 3rd tier #1. It's not a science and I suppose it never is, but something more for you to think about I guess....