Sign in to follow this  
peabody17

Need auction style draft advice

When it's your tunr to throw out a name, throw out someone that you know people will go overboard for right about now. They will overspend on them, whcih will leave you in better position.

Names I plan on throwing this weekend?

Ladell Betts

Reggie Bush

Mike Bell

Maroney

Good luck and have fun.

A couple pieces of advice...

1- Prior to the draft, create a team that you think you can realistically get. Pick out your value picks 1st then build the stars around that.

2- Never throw out a player that you actually plan on going after. The longer your players stay undrafted, the more money the rest of your league spends. You can gain control in the middle rounds after everyone else blows their money. There will be several players that will fall to you.

3- Try not to get caught up in bidding wars. If you have Roy Williams projected at $20, and someone else gets in a war with you and before you know it, you're at $27, just walk away. Overspending will only hurt you in the end.

A couple pieces of advice...

1- Prior to the draft, create a team that you think you can realistically get. Pick out your value picks 1st then build the stars around that.

2- Never throw out a player that you actually plan on going after. The longer your players stay undrafted, the more money the rest of your league spends. You can gain control in the middle rounds after everyone else blows their money. There will be several players that will fall to you.

3- Try not to get caught up in bidding wars. If you have Roy Williams projected at $20, and someone else gets in a war with you and before you know it, you're at $27, just walk away. Overspending will only hurt you in the end.

I find advice number 1 to actually be the inverse of what I use. You must plan out your stars and build around them, sheerly because they will go off the board early and if for some reason the role players you want get bid up late you have no room left to change on the fly. I'm not saying you lock into one player, but choose, say 2-3 backs you really want as #1 and then get one of them.

I do agree with the sentiment of the post though that you should have a team framework in mind before drafting. My advice is to sit down and hash out how much you want to spend per postition and then see what that gets you. Also DO MOCKS!! Auction is not like snake, it is unpredictable and actually requires a working brain. If you don't mock you will die.

Congratulations on joining the world of the auction! It may take a bit of work, and can be hell on the nerves, in the end I think you'll be glad that you came over to the dark-side. Here are some thoughts to help you get started:

- When nominating a player, the best fallback strategy is to put up the players that you don't want that'll go for the most money so that you can drain your opponents' caps. This general strategy also works for putting up players that might not be top-tier, but will likely incite fierce bidding, such as the stars from your local team.

- Beyond this basic strategy, I have to speak out against an earlier statement that you should never put up a player you're interested in. While this generally holds true, there many instances where this isn't the case. The most obvious being the end of the draft where you have to very careful who you put up for bid as a lot of players will be going for a buck so you might get stuck with whoever you nominated. But there can also be other situations where putting up a player you want can be beneficial. I've seen guys throw out a middling player or even a kicker in the first couple of rounds and get them for not a lot of cash because everyone else was focused on the big guys. Last year I nominated Larry Johnson immediately after Holmes was drafted. The Holmes owner wasn't thinking straight after an intense bidding war for Holmes, and let me nab LJ for almost nothing. So there are definitely exceptions to the rule of never nominate players you want.

- In terms of preparing for your auction, sit down and split up the top 20 players at every position into two categories, guys you'd want on your team and guys you wouldn't. The guys you wouldn't want then become your Cap Drainers, and the guys you would want become the list you have to watch carefully. Waiting until later in the auction to buy big can net you some stellar deals, but you have to make sure there's still enough players left on the board to build a decent team out of, otherwise you might move in too late.

- When evaluating players, there are very few that I'll totally write off because in an auction it's all about finding value and maximizing the effectiveness of your fictional salary cap. Do I think McAlister's going to have a big year? Hell no, but if he's available for less than $10 out of a $150 cap, I'm probably going to bid for him. Alternatively, there are players I would love to have, but they go on my Cap Drainer list because I think they're going to go for more than I'm willing to pay. Torry Holt and Marvin Harrison are two examples of WRs I like, but I don't want to pay more than a fifth of my cap for.

- Another thought when valuing/rating/ranking players, the number you should try to associate with each player is, what are you willing to pay for them. Or, how much should they go for? Really it's somewhere in between. The point is that with a player like Randy Moss, for example, I don't have a firm grasp of how much he's going to go for, and I'm not going to chase him, but if he's available for around $25 out of a $150 cap, I'm going for him.

Hopefully this initial batch of thoughts will help you in your preparation for what will undoubtedly be the most fun you've ever had at a fantasy football draft. Good luck!

I had posted this in another thread but here you go:

This is going to seem either anal or stupid but if you want to dominate your auction (where others are just wondering how on earth your team is completely stacked) follow these simple steps. There are many ways to approach the auction, here is my way that has worked ver well. This is all coming from an analytical standpoint (not like, oh make sure you walk out of there with SJax or something) so rank wisely and you will own your league:

1. Figure out the total dollars in the league (10 teams, $200 per team = $2000 total dollars). This seems like a no brainer but it's extremely important.

2. List out each free agent by position, QB’s, WR’s, RB’s and TE’s

3. Figure out how many roster spots your league allows (mine has 16 so I’ll use it in the examples)

4. Now figure out how many players per position you will need. For your average 16 player team It’s going to look something like this: 3QB’s, 5RB’s, 5WR’s, K, TE, and D

5. Then allocate a dollar amount per position. This is critical during the auction because it sets parameters on your spending. As a rough template based on a $200 cap and a 10 team league I have found this to be about right: $25 on QB’s, $45 on WR’s, $125 on RB’s, $3 on TE and $1 K, $1 D.

6. Now you can go through each position ranking list that you made earlier and set a hypothetical maximum dollar amount that you would pay for a player like:

L.J. - $70

Alexander - $68

Tomlinson - $67

Portis - $50

And on and on down the list.

7. *** Make sure that the number of total players (roster spots multiplied by the number of teams; in this case 10 teams, 16 roster spots = 160 total players) adds up to the total dollars to spend. This is how you will know if your pricing is correct or not!!! In the example, the dollar value of the top 160 free agents when added up must not exceed $200. If your free agents list totals more than $200 then you have to reduce the values… the players are over priced.

8. During the auction:

9. When it’s your turn to choose a player nominate players you DO NOT want… anytime an opponent spends too much money on a player or takes up a roster spot with some garbage you win.

10. Have faith in your refined value sheet. If you have McNabb priced at $15 and the auction is at $17 don’t jump back in. Sit back and wait.

11. Pick up your starting RB’s early and let others spend money on QB’s and WR’s.

Hope that helps… it’s long but if you have questions, let me know.