Sign in to follow this  
rbtthe3

Online Draft

Owners live in different cities and we wanna have an on-line draft. Anyone use fanballs online draft? If not, what do you use?

TIA

One of my two $$ leagues uses FanBall and the other uses the Yahoo Plus league. The only thing Yahoo has more of is cost. Yahoo Plus is 129.99 while the FanBall is only 59.99. I prefer the FanBall interface and find the draft room as easy to use as Yahoo's. Yahoo's is definitely a little more dumbed down but I can't really think of any other advantages besides that.

You could always use one of the free ESPN or Yahoo options also. The pay league's give you draft priority, stat tracking, and a few other management goodies but they're not really THAT much better then some of the free options.

Good lukc this year :doublethumbsup:

dont use a free site the week before opening kickoff. We made that mistake last year, and as commish I spent the whole draft fielding calls from managers who continually got kicked off the site. Everyone thought it was fair for me to do this since the league is spread across the region, and the managers off-site were doing the best they could to get/stay online. But it took 6 hours for a 9 team, 14 round draft.

One of my two $$ leagues uses FanBall and the other uses the Yahoo Plus league. The only thing Yahoo has more of is cost. Yahoo Plus is 129.99 while the FanBall is only 59.99. I prefer the FanBall interface and find the draft room as easy to use as Yahoo's. Yahoo's is definitely a little more dumbed down but I can't really think of any other advantages besides that.

Good lukc this year :blink:

:ninja: I couldn't of given any better advice. All of our owners are in different citties as well.

Been using Fanball for over 5 years now...

I have been using fanball since 1998, even before it was fanball, I beleive the site itself was exit42 at the time. I liek the site a lot but I think it is more because I am a creature of habit than anything else. The site has two different leagues:

Real League (formerly Exit42) where you have absolutely no control over anything, even as the commish. I have four league here and I like it, it is really basic and uses the basic scoring method. You have no control over anything which is a good thing and a bad thing.

Fanball Commisioner where the commish has ultimate control over everything, scoring, rules, league set up, the works. I love this league but the real time scoring goes down pretty often and the site has been famous over the last few years for crashing on Sunday, right before the lineups are due. The live draft is ok, I am not a big fan of it but it is ok.

I also use myfantasy league. I am really not a fan of this site at all but slowly it is starting to grow on me. Some people swear by this league and I have been using it for years but I really dont care for it that much.

I have heard nothing but horror stories about ESPN's fantasy leagues.

I am in two drafts this year in yahoo so I really dont have much experience with them just yet.

Our league has used fanball 4 years in a row. invariably, sonething goes wrong. the draft board freezes, the chatroom freezes, something happens that makes it difficult for owners. as the commisioner, i've had to halt the draft every year.

that said, its a good site overall. easy to use, good interface, and when the live scoring works, its pretty quick. (It works about 80% of the time). the main appeal though is the cost. the owners love not having to pitch in much of their money for site maintenance. more $$$ for the pot at the end of the season.

here's a good site- REALTIME SPORTS, or i think its RTSports.com. good site, easy to use, and i don't think its ever crashed in the 4 years i've played in that one (Player in RT, Commish in Fanball). RTSports is a little pricier, but you get good bang for your buck.

We used the free Yahoo for our league. For what it's worth, the online draft was fairly simple to use (as indicated above). We had 9 of the 10 league members online in 5 different cities across 3 states. The one who couldn't make it pre-ranked his players and let Yahoo draft for him.

Entire draft took 1 hour and 20 minutes (90 seconds per pick). We had no issues with anyone getting kicked off, but we had our draft on the early side. Good luck.

edit to add: 6 of us met at the local Buffalo Wild Wings. They give you $100 of FREE FOOD if you have the draft there. For those of you with a location in your city, you might want to check it out. No questions asked, we showed up with our laptops and the free wings started rolling in.