Sign in to follow this  
Super Cubs

sandbagging

Does your league have any rules on sandbagging. If so what are they?

Not entirely sure what "sandbagging" means, please enlighten me.

We have no real rules but it is stated at the beginning of the year that you must play to win. This only comes into play towards the end of the season though as some teams are mathematically eliminated freom playoff contention and may purposely tank to let their buddy get a much needed win.

If you are believed to be sandbagging then every other GM gets to kick you in the balls.

Not entirely sure what "sandbagging" means, please enlighten me.

sandbagging basically means slacking on purpose... like in golf for all us non-pros, you would purposefully post higher scores to raise your handicap so when tournaments came around you were getting more strokes than you really should so you would have a better chance of winning.

so in FF terms, i would guess he would be referring to the guys that bench starters to purposefully throw games near the end of the season for one reason or another. Or guys that never replace guys on bye...

in these scenarios, i like having a fine system where the owner is charged for anyone they start that is listed as on bye or "Out". For benching 'studs', that is a little harder to regulate...

We have no real rules but it is stated at the beginning of the year that you must play to win. This only comes into play towards the end of the season though as some teams are mathematically eliminated freom playoff contention and may purposely tank to let their buddy get a much needed win.

If you are believed to be sandbagging then every other GM gets to kick you in the balls.

"You play to win the game, you dont just play to play" - Herm

I get it now, thanks Crackhead Bob.

i'm surprised the term sandbagging would be new to anybody...

generally, it means purposefully performing to less than your full abilities.

in fantasy football, this may happen when one friend benches some of his better players so that his other friend will win a game (imagine late in the season when one friend is already out of the playoff race)

our league has nothing concrete for this, but it is a tough spot for sure, and difficult to prove. sorry i don't have anything better to say.

We structure our league so there is no advantage to lose any particular week. We have a weekly high score prize as well as "fun" weekly prizes. Also, draft order is played for in a loser playoff bracket so draft picks are not a reason either.

If you sandbag, FF bylaws require you to go over to the person's house and punch them in face.... in front of his wife.....

12 team keeper league. 3 years ago we had an issue and implemented this:

Top 6 teams make the playoffs, and receive picks 7 - 12 based on order of finish.

Bottom six teams are put into a weighted lottery. 7th and 8th place get FOUR "ping pong balls", 9th and 10th place get THREE "ping pong balls", 11th and 12th get TWO "ping pong balls". So the better you finish the better shot you have at the number one pick. It has worked the last 2 seasons. No team gives up because they know they get a better shot at the number one pick in next years draft if they just miss the playoffs.

ETA: Phils 1 Cubs 0 in the 8th.

bottom 4 spots owe much more money than just the league entry fee. entry fee is $150. 7th place owes $50 more, 8th -$75, 9th - $100, 10th - $125.

makes you keep playing.

bottom 4 spots owe much more money than just the league entry fee. entry fee is $150. 7th place owes $50 more, 8th -$75, 9th - $100, 10th - $125.

makes you keep playing.

Nice! It's the only way to regulate it. Hit 'em in the pocket book.

i'm surprised the term sandbagging would be new to anybody...

generally, it means purposefully performing to less than your full abilities.

in fantasy football, this may happen when one friend benches some of his better players so that his other friend will win a game (imagine late in the season when one friend is already out of the playoff race)

our league has nothing concrete for this, but it is a tough spot for sure, and difficult to prove. sorry i don't have anything better to say.

I'm suprised the word teabagging would be new to anybody....

metaphorically, it means purposefully dangling your goods (which hang like a teabag) over someones open soup cooler, and simply dropping them in there like a teabag in a coffee mug.

:doublethumbsup: