Sign in to follow this  
dominus florenzus

5th pick, 14 team draft, passTD worth 5

With LJ/LT/SA/Tiki gone, does anyone think Peyton is worth it?

League awards 5 points per touchdown pass.

My big worry is that since my next pick is #24, there may not be a good RB left. I can always get a decent QB in later rounds.

This is not a keeper league, but there is a few hundred $$$ on the line, plus a weekly payout for top points scorer.

Yeah, 14 teams is too much, I agree!

You need to have a RB in the first round otherwise you will not get a solid one....yes Peyton is great but to win a league you need depth especially in the RB position. I've never taken Manning I always drafted for depth and got quality QB's. If you have the 5th pick theres Edge, Steven Jackson, Rudi, Portis.....take one of them...personally I think Jackson will have a great year. Go for a quality RB first round or you wont get one. (BTW what are the points given to rushing yards and TD's ) GL

Please see mine

http://www.fftodayforums.com/forum/index.p...howtopic=224443

You need to have a RB in the first round otherwise you will not get a solid one....yes Peyton is great but to win a league you need depth especially in the RB position. I've never taken Manning I always drafted for depth and got quality QB's. If you have the 5th pick theres Edge, Steven Jackson, Rudi, Portis.....take one of them...personally I think Jackson will have a great year. Go for a quality RB first round or you wont get one. (BTW what are the points given to rushing yards and TD's ) GL

Please see mine

http://www.fftodayforums.com/forum/index.p...howtopic=224443

The reasoning for drafting Peyton is that I think he may end up with more fantasy points than Edge, Jackson, Rudi, etc. This is because passing TDs are worth 5 points. But yeah, I don't see how I can get a solid RB at 24... that is a really good point.

The scores for RBs are pretty standard, 6 pts for TD, 1pt for each 10 yds, and a bonus of 1 or 2 pts when they hit 100 yds.

I do not want to draft Peyton, I hate the idea of drafting a QB in the first round. But the idea just will not go away! Part of it is also that I do not think any RB after Barber is good enough to justify a #5 pick on. Then again, what can I do about that?

The reasoning for drafting Peyton is that I think he may end up with more fantasy points than Edge, Jackson, Rudi, etc. This is because passing TDs are worth 5 points. But yeah, I don't see how I can get a solid RB at 24... that is a really good point.

The scores for RBs are pretty standard, 6 pts for TD, 1pt for each 10 yds, and a bonus of 1 or 2 pts when they hit 100 yds.

I do not want to draft Peyton, I hate the idea of drafting a QB in the first round. But the idea just will not go away! Part of it is also that I do not think any RB after Barber is good enough to justify a #5 pick on. Then again, what can I do about that?

I personally think you HAVE to take Edgerrin James. At the 24th pick, you'll have plenty of QB's to choose from. I can't see you passing on Edge. Peyton is the best...but at 24...you're not going to get a good RB.

. Peyton is the best...but at 24...you're not going to get a good RB.
I agree with you here.
I personally think you HAVE to take Edgerrin James. At the 24th pick, you'll have plenty of QB's to choose from. I can't see you passing on Edge
But here... do you really think he will outperform Rudi Johnson or Steven Jackson? I don't know. Cardinals are pretty weak, he doesn't have that huge line in front of him or the Indianapolis no hudle offense to make the defense uneasy. I'm predicting Edge will not have a very good year last year. He was the workhorse of my team last year, but this year I am staying away.

There are backs worth a #5 pick and then there are sleepers you can get later....last year I had a similar situation... I had the first pick(LT) :mad: and waited a long time to get a back....I ended up with Westbrook and Larry Johnson who at the time was not a great choice he was a backup splitting carries.... I got LUCKY and Holmes got hurt :blink: ....Think about what my team would have looked like had holmes stayed healthy. Westbrook did nothing and LJ was sharing carries.....sometimes you get lucky....but now I always draft backs first and hope for later draft picks because I have better middle rounds than those you have the number 1 pick. Also if your looking for a good sleeper this year take a look at Marion Barber. Hope this convinces you Manning is a bad idea as a first rounder

Backs to consider, Jackson, Edge,R Johnson

There are backs worth a #5 pick and then there are sleepers you can get later....last year I had a similar situation... I had the first pick(LT) :mad: and waited a long time to get a back....I ended up with Westbrook and Larry Johnson who at the time was not a great choice he was a backup splitting carries.... I got LUCKY and Holmes got hurt :blink: ....Think about what my team would have looked like had holmes stayed healthy. Westbrook did nothing and LJ was sharing carries.....sometimes you get lucky....but now I always draft backs first and hope for later draft picks because I have better middle rounds than those you have the number 1 pick. Also if your looking for a good sleeper this year take a look at Marion Barber. Hope this convinces you Manning is a bad idea as a first rounder

Backs to consider, Jackson, Edge,R Johnson

Wow, LT and LJ last year? Please tell me you won your league! :mad:

I agree, so much of this is luck... who gets injured, who comes out of nowhere... last year I had drafted Thomas Jones and Carson Palmer as BACKUPS....I got lucky there, and BARELY lost the league superbowl.

I think you may be on to something with Barber. And I think you may have convinced me not to take Peyton.

14 team leagues are officially DUMB. Depth will be so shallow, it's a whole different draft strategy for me this year!

14 team leagues are officially DUMB. Depth will be so shallow, it's a whole different draft strategy for me this year!

I'm just getting exposed to 14 team leagues and I'd have to say that the shallow depth doesn't make them dumb, it makes them more challenging and makes the later rounds more important...so do your homework. Not being a keeper and having the scoring system lean heavy toward running backs is what is throwing your league off. You can't have parity in a league when the scoring system basically dictates that the first 5 guys are going to get stud running backs and everyone else is going to get shat on. At the very least the WR and RB scoring should compliment each other to allow for someone to be more willing to draft Chad Johnson, Steve Smith, or Torry Holt ahead of a 3rd tier RB. When you HAVE to take Edgerin James...or HAVE to take Rudi Johnson....the scoring system is flawed.

</soapbox>