Sign in to follow this  
Ez

Stuck with the 10th or 12th pick ?

Now that my draft is over allow me to give hope to those owners who are stuck with the last picks of your rounds. I couldn't post this before for fear of owners in my league reading it here.

I am in a 10 team / 1-player keeper league. I won it all last year with RBs like Cory Dillon, Mike Anderson, Thomas Jones and Stephen Davis. Obviously none of these guys were worth keeping so I had no choice but to keep Torry Holt.

Now knowing that 6 of the top 10 backs are being franchised and the remainder will be drafted in the first 9 picks before me .... I decided that this year I would have to switch from my stud RB tendencies and load up on WR. Then, while people are picking their first 2 to 3 WRs in rounds 3 - 5, I would load up on overlooked RBs.

So .... here is how my team turned out. ( and no ... I am not looking for "rate my team" this is a thread for us poor owners looking at those tail end draft spots )

Torry Holt (Franchise)

Marvin Harrison (1st round pick / 10th overall )

Larry Fitzgerald (2nd round pick / 11th overall )

R. Wayne (3rd round )

Now .... those are 3 ( arguably 4 ... I REALLY like Wayne this year as well ) "stud" WRs and our league allows you to start up to 4 WRs and only 1 RB should you so desire.

So, now that I am set at WRs and everyone else has locked up all the "stud" backs I start going after RBs who people think are "done" or simply overlooked or stuck in the dreaded RBBC.

I take:

Ahaman Green in the 4th ( I REALLY wanted to get him here and it worked out - Green is not "done" yet )

Took Carson Palmer here in the 5th ... I just couldn't resist and I think ( re. HOPE ) the knee is fine

Thomas Jones in the 6th ( I had hoped to get Mike Bell here but he was gone and Jones will put up decent numbers or get traded )

Chris Brown in the 7th ( Yeah, he's Fragile Freddie II ... but he has a head case rookie running back behind him )

Tatum Bell in the 8th ( I don't think Tatum will ever be the featured back but we all know that he is a capable "home run" hitter who will get his 10 carries and a couple of receptions every game and will take one to the house every other game or so.

Cedric Benson in the 9th (insurance for Thomas Jones )

Now ... if just one or 2 of those RBs pan out for me I am pretty happy.

Other backs I had targeted were Cory Dillon, Frank Gore and Mike Bell but they went a few picks or even a full round before I was willing to take them.

The bottom line guys ...... if you are sitting at the tail end of this years draft and you know that everyone is going after all the RBs .... load up on the WRs ..... there are plenty of RBs that you can stock pile in the middle rounds while everyone is trying to get their first couple of WRs !!

Good luck to all and hopefully this strategy may help a few of you.

Ez

I agree with your thinking and actions. Bottom line is end up with more points each week than your opponent right? You definitely scored on nabbing from among the most consistent producers as well as biggest (I guess that's kind of redundant) for WR's. I'm surprised Wayne made it to you in the third. I guess owners in your league must be chanting "RB / RB" to themselves while they draft. It's a little tougher as far as the running backs you'll end up with in a twelve team league though. I would feel the need for a back either 1st or 2nd rounds and definitely be willing to pass on a fourth receiver if I saw a slight reach of a back who was in a favorable situation but remained unproven or scared others away, like Green, due to returning from injury but wasn't too many seasons removed from having good success.

I'm sure most of the other nine in your league are posting somewhere complaining about not having receivers.

First, how did Wayne get to you at the 30th pick? End of the 3rd round if you won the SB.

Second, you reached for Green as his ADP is in the 60s and could have been had in the 5th/10 keepers are the 1st round in essence.

Third, It's a 10 Team league so quit patting yourself on the back becuase you got so many RBs with potential.

Join a 12 teamer and see how many of those RBs you end up with.

Fourth, how would you not know about who was keeping those "stud" RBs? What did you think people were gonna keep, TEs? Let me guess, your 10 team league probably doesn't even have to start a TE. In which case I can see how you got so many RBs on your roster.

You seem like you mean well, as I do, but please join a real league and then brag about your exploits. 10 Team leagues are nice if its all you can get into but really, admit it. Everybody in the league if they know what they're doing ends up with an "all-star" team and it's a shootout like an NBA allstar game.

No fun imho. ;)

Well, this is a lot easier to do when you only start 1 RB. I wouldn't recommend picking up 3 WRs before your first RB in a 2 RB starting league.

First, how did Wayne get to you at the 30th pick? End of the 3rd round if you won the SB.

Second, you reached for Green as his ADP is in the 60s and could have been had in the 5th/10 keepers are the 1st round in essence.

Third, It's a 10 Team league so quit patting yourself on the back becuase you got so many RBs with potential.

Join a 12 teamer and see how many of those RBs you end up with.

Fourth, how would you not know about who was keeping those "stud" RBs? What did you think people were gonna keep, TEs? Let me guess, your 10 team league probably doesn't even have to start a TE. In which case I can see how you got so many RBs on your roster.

You seem like you mean well, as I do, but please join a real league and then brag about your exploits. 10 Team leagues are nice if its all you can get into but really, admit it. Everybody in the league if they know what they're doing ends up with an "all-star" team and it's a shootout like an NBA allstar game.

No fun imho. :cheers:

I got Wayne after the following 10 players were franchised:

1. McNabb ( Best this guy had on his team from last year ... thats why he finished last)

2. LJ

3. C-pep ( guy should have kept Lamont Jordan but he just ended up drafting him with the 3rd pick anyway)

4. LT2

5. Tiki

6. Alexander

7. Rudi Johnson

8. Peyton Manning

9. Edge

10. Holt (me)

Now the Draft:

11. Steven Jackson

12. T.O.

13. Lamont Jordan

14. Ronnie Brown

15. Keven Jones

16. W. McGahee

17. Caddy WIlliams

18. Brian Westbrook

19.Chad Johnson

20. Marvin Harrison (me)

21. Fitz (me)

22. Steve Smith

23 C. Portis ( damn, people were worried about him )

24. Chambers

25. Randy Moss

26. Boldin

27. Willie Parker

28. Reggie Bush

29. Jules Jones

30. R. Droughns

31. J. Lewis

32. Reggie Wayne

That's how the draft went. Looks like pretty much every draft across the land give or take a couple spots for a few players. Dunno what is so confusing to you.

Yes, I took Green one full round before his ADP. Some of us who are going into our 13th year of this hobby are not afraid to reach one round early if you really want a guy. I HAD to take a RB in this round because I ... oh yeah ... had none. So, when I took Reggie I lost out on Fred Taylor or Deshawn Foster but still got Ahman with the last pick of the 4th in a 1 player keeper. According to your ADP ... he would have gone in the next round. I didn't want to lose out and I felt better taking Wayne over Taylor, Green and Deshaun Foster hoping that at least one of these 3 would slip to me while evryone else was filling WR needs. Gsess what ... Green did and I was happy.

Next .... who the hell ever said that I was patting myself on the back? I even said ... I am not looking for "rate my team" I am simply saying that there is still a chance to field a successful team if you do not go with the holy grail of RB-RB. No TE is required in this league. They count the same as WRs.

Oh and you can take that ... 12 team elitist attitude and shove it up your internet tough guy ass ! If all teams are "all star" as you say .... then doens't everyone have an equil chance at winning it all ? Wouldn't that make for a more unpredictable outcome and competitive league. All ten guys in our leage enjoy the hell out of our seasons. It's challenging and fun. We are entering our 12th season and the majority of owners have been here since the first year or 2. You got a problem with that ???

Yes, I did "mean well". I was simply showing that you can get away from the Rb-Rb theory if you need to, grab some awesome WRs and load up on RBs with potential a little later. Even in a 12 man league I would have gotten 2 or 3 of these backs anyway.

So, squat down, squeeze... and pop out that corn cob you have up there and try not to be such a penishead will ya ????

I swear to god the internet brings out some of the most rude, knowit all, tough guys in the world. They really need to make it mandatory that your home address is shown at every message board. I bet people would be a little more mature if they knew that the risk of having their teeth knocked out of their big know-it-all mouths was always there.

Well, this is a lot easier to do when you only start 1 RB. I wouldn't recommend picking up 3 WRs before your first RB in a 2 RB starting league.

True .... it is a little riskier in a league where 2 RBs are required.

However: Palmer (QB), Ahman Green and Thomas Jones (C. Brown or Tatum Bell ) RBs and Holt, Fitz and Harrison WRs is still a solid line up.

Again, this strategy may not work for everyone .... but I think it has merit. There are enough RBs in the league you can grab in the middle rounds ( 4 to 8 ) and as long as 2 pan out ... you are golden. Hell, QB is deeeep this year. I only took Palmer because he was the value pick at that time. Otherwise I'd have another RB who could bounce back to form.

Please .... just understand that I am just showing that this could work out. Or ... maybe I'm screwed and don't even know it yet. I just see too many people who swear they need to draft a Willie Parker or a Warrick Dunn instead of a Marvin Harrison, Torry Holt or Larry Fitz. I'm here to tell ya ... It should not surprize no one with an average amount of Fantasy Football exp to know that a few of the following will bounce back: Corry Dillon, Ahman Green, Lamal Lewis, Deuce McAllister, Thomas Jones, Fred Taylor

Dominic Rhodes and Chris Brown. All have rushed for over a 1,000 yards in the past 2 to 3 years and I hate to break it to you but VERY VERY VERY few rookie RBs amount to jack spit in their first year ... even if they have won 7 Heisman trophies. :cheers:

Wow, 13 years playing, blah, blah, blah.

If you have been paying attention over the past month here there have been tons of threads about going WR-WR, it was getting very tiresome to read somebodies "I think I did it." Aaaagain.

Wow, talk about talking a squat. You sure set me straight.

Rant much? :(:

LMFAO

Wow, 13 years playing, blah, blah, blah.

If you have been paying attention over the past month here there have been tons of threads about going WR-WR, it was getting very tiresome to read somebodies "I think I did it." Aaaagain.

Wow, talk about talking a squat. You sure set me straight.

Rant much? :D:

LMFAO

Yup, 13 years playing FF. You ???? Just turned 13 I suspect.

If you don't want to read a thread then don't open it. Is it that hard ?

Me ??? Anger management issues and yes, I would knock your teeth out of your head if I could.

And I'd enjoy it !!!! :D

Nobody cares how long you've been playing, again, with the patting yourself on the back.

Man, you are so cool.

Can I be like you, picking fights over the internet.

"The first amn to run out of ideas is the first amn who raises a fist."

God, you're a joke.

:banana:

Let's recap:

I start a post with intentions of showing that the WR - WR strategy may just work this year and even say "no ... I am not looking for "rate my team".

Then some smartass named Wedge21 decides to act like a prepubescent teen-pr!ck and start making wise cracks.

You: "quit patting yourself on the back becuase you got so many RBs with potential"

You: "but please join a real league and then brag about your exploits"

You: "Wow, 13 years playing, blah, blah, blah"

You: "Wow, talk about talking a squat. You sure set me straight"

You: "Nobody cares how long you've been playing, again, with the patting yourself on the back.

Man, you are so cool.

Can I be like you, picking fights over the internet.

"The first amn to run out of ideas is the first amn who raises a fist."

God, you're a joke."

I never asked for a pat on the back. I don't give a rat's ass what you think of 10 man leagues. I made a post with some info that may or may not help anyone. Been playing FF for 13 years ... maybe I know a thing or 2 about it .... maybe not. However, you decide to be a real smart-ass over the internet.

Seems to me that while I may have some anger management issues, you have some maturity issues.

Someone takes that tone with me over and over in person, I'd knock thier teeth out. But, little tough boy like yourself can hide behind their keyboard.

Do you happen to live in Arizona ?? I'd be glad to meet up with you for a beer and teach you about politeness ??????

Ooops, maybe your not old enough to get into a bar.

Maybe I should fly out to jolly ol' England and kick your ol' ass !!!!

KORNY !!!! Er Know Doubt .... er STEVE !!! You alias using S.O.B. !

No one can hide from me !

Figured if I was going to knock someone's teeth out I may as well track them down. It's easier that way.

Stop kick-starting people ! :P

lmfao

Ya bastard! :lol:

LMFAO!!!! Your kidding me...that was Korny???? Dirty bastard!

This board really has issues with 10 team leagues. I just don't get it. :rolleyes:

Ez, let it go, this guy should stay out of your thread instead of starting sh!t

It was interesting to see your results, picking 7th I'm debating the same strategy.

With Chester Taylor as a keeper (10th round or later), I see no sure picks in the 2nd tier of Rb's

Why risk Ronnie, Portis or SJax when top tier WR's are there.

Thanks for the info and good luck!

This board really has issues with 10 team leagues. I just don't get it. :rolleyes:

Ez, let it go, this guy should stay out of your thread instead of starting sh!t

It was interesting to see your results, picking 7th I'm debating the same strategy.

With Chester Taylor as a keeper (10th round or later), I see no sure picks in the 2nd tier of Rb's

Why risk Ronnie, Portis or SJax when top tier WR's are there.

Thanks for the info and good luck!

Um, it's all a joke.

I just love watching Jerry get all worked up.

We all know each other and he "outed me".

:dunno: :banana: :banana:

you are happy with a. green, c. brown, chicago backfield and 1/3 of the RBBC in Denver.

you are solid at the most inconsistent postition in the league. be ready for some up and down weeks.

palmer and your WRs will get you some wins, but consistent RBs win championships.

good luck and i hope it works out for you.

"Wedge21" is a very close real life friend who now lives in jolly ol' England with his beautiful wife Robin ( give her a hug for me ). He was posting under an alias to screw with me, act like a penishead and really getting under my skin. Well, it worked. That is, until I did some sleuthing and figured out who this "S.O.B." who was, gettig my blood pressure all worked up and making my unstable mind think homicidal thoughts.

He played in our 10-team leage ( that he mocked ) and at least claimed it was his favorite league. He won it all twice in the 7 years he played with us ( from 1998 - 2004 ) and has caused more controvery than any other owner in league history ! :P

you are happy with a. green, c. brown, chicago backfield and 1/3 of the RBBC in Denver.

you are solid at the most inconsistent postition in the league. be ready for some up and down weeks.

palmer and your WRs will get you some wins, but consistent RBs win championships.

good luck and i hope it works out for you.

Back on topic.

Yes, lguero1, your assessment of my team is accurate. And nobody is more of a RB guy than me. I have won my league Championship 2 times in 11 years but have been to our Super Bowl six times in 11 years. My league likes to call me the Buffalo Bills. It's fine with me. My goal every year is to get to the championship game .... after that ... it''s one game and it can go either way. /shrug

Our league has always been liberal with starting line ups. This allows owners to field the most competative team possible. You can start 1 RB and 4 Receivers (TEs are considered a "receiver" ) or you can start as many as 3RBs and only 2 Receivers. Finally, you can start 2 Backs and 3 Receivers. Again, some may scoff, but our goal is to allow owners to put theier best 5 starters on the field.

In years past an owner who left the league many years ago had gone with "run and shoot" type offences and was very competitive, even winning it all one year.

The bottom line is that I just need one of my RBs to pan out. If more than one does ... well, I am set ... and finally, beeing as deep as I am at WR I can always make a trade at some point if my top 4 WRs produce as projected.

I am interested still in seeing what teams look like from guys (or gals ) who drafted this weekend and went with the WR-WR-WR or WR-WR format.

This is the first year that I have tried this strategy and it was only out of necessity.