Sign in to follow this  
erosryd

RB depth/future value vs. Quality

You may see my team in my signature.

Overall, feel that my team is very blue-collar with no real studs, but also very well-balanced. But i am worried about my RB situation (must start 2 RBs, 3 WRs, 1 TE) , with the only long-term definite starter being L Jordan.

Should I be worried and immediately try to trade some of my RB/WR depth for higher tiered RB, or do you guys feel that i can depend on Jordan for RB#1 and Dillon/Bush for RB#2 early in the season and let the rest of my RBs mature and possibly increase in value? There are at least 3 teams in my league that really need some RB depth - esp as the season progresses and the owners of the likes of Deuce, Rhodes, Foster, etc find out whether these backs will work as their #2 RB or not.

12 Team League

Q: M Bulger, B Roethlisberger

R: L Jordan, C Dillon, R Bush, J Addai, D Blaylock, Mu. Smith

W: L Fitzgerald, J Walker, Matt Jones, D Gabriel, Mark Clayton

T: T Heap

K: J Feely

D: Jax

ok - im looking for your "depth"? where? im not being rude here, but if you want a top tier rb you'd have to package fitz with another "decent" rb & i doubt dillon would be enough IMO - maybe, depends on the other owner rb situation. bush has great hype & will be a great rb so maybe that would be an option - but again.....can your team afford to lose both fitz & bush? IMO - no way! IF Addai does get to start at some point, then your depth increases BIG TIME at rb, but until then....you have 1 good start (jordan), 1 ok start IF HEALTHY (dillon), 2 that need a chance & MAY see some action but until then are #2s on their team (Bush & Addai), & 2 that basically need an act of god to see the field for any quality playing time (Blaylock & Smith). As far as your WRs go: Fitz is a STUD, Walker is untested & on a new team, Jones is inconsistent, Gab has only been on his team for like 3 days (not to mention really hasnt done chit for the most part in the past), & Clayton will be on a run 1st Offense under a coach that really hasnt made any wr blossom EVER! i dont mean to sound rude & i mean no offense when i say this.....but where is your depth? you'd hurt your team 10 fold by trying to land a top tier rb as you would almost be guarenteed to have to package fitz to get one - thus your wr corp would be so greatly affected by this loss they'd never bounce back. sorry braw - just my honest opinion.

Appreciate your advice and frankness, montana. Maybe i should've said that i had "potential depth" rather than current depth, LOL. In past leagues, i usually drafted RBs in rounds 1, 2 and either 3 or 4. But picking 12th i had few good RBs to choose from so grabbed L Jordan and then a top WR (Fitz, although i thought about Holt). Manning was gone by 1.6, elsewise i would've grabbed him. Dillon was left for me in 3rd round so i grabbed him (needing another starting RB - hopefully he will stay a starting RB!). And you are right, i don't want to trade an RB and Fitz to get a 1st or 2nd round calibre RB.

Compared to some other teams in my league, it appears that i do have good depth, albeit not great starters. Six teams that i see who might need some RB help and who i considered offering up some preseason trades have the following on their roster:

1. Barber, Dunn, Gaddo, Jacobs (Barber's handcuff)

2. J Lewis, K Jones, M Moore, C Benson

3. LJ, J Jones, M Anderson, L White

4. Edge, T Bell, Betts, Moats, Staley

5. S Jackson, Deuce, C Brown

6. Rudi, Foster, M Barber, M Bennett, C Perry

Oh, and maybe throw me in as well if Dillon falls by the wayside and my other 4 backs don't pan out.

I guess that i am looking at L Jordan and Dillon as being my primary RBs, and hoping one of the other 4 turns into semi-stud material.

do you know what?

I think it's too early to make a trade for this team. If reggie bush and Addai both end up starting and having a good year, your depth just got a million times better.

I also think that Mark Clayton has a good chance to rebound and have a year similar to his rookie year, and if Matt Jones has a big year, you may find your team is better than you thought.

now I wouldnt count on all of this, but I do think that either Jones or Clayton will be good. but probably not both. I also think that bush will be a decent starter most nights but would not start him against top calibre run stuffing defensed. and Addai may turn out okay, but I wouldnt plan on it until the second half of the season.

either way, one guy mentioned earlier that to get a top end guy, you gotta trade Fitz and I think hes right. and this hurts you (in my opinion)

I'd hang tight and wait until week 3. if any of your rookies blow the doors off to start the season, you can guarantee that some sucker will come in and offer you a lot more for that rookie than he is worth. And that would be the time to sell and improve your depth.

once you have a good idea of what your team can do, then you can look to improve by picking up free agents etc. or making trades.

Appreciate the advice, guys.

Ray T, your suggestion of holding off for a few weeks and hoping that Bush, Addai, Musa or Blaylock turns out to be decent starter(s) sounds like a plan. Odds are that at least one of those four will be productive (or maybe i am over-confident). As of now, i probably wouldn't be able to get a lot of value for them due to the uncertainty of their status. I am just hoping that Dillon can be a good start for me for at least the early season and not get replaced by Maroney - something that i am presently concerned with.

Again, thanks for the input.

Got a bite on a trade offer prior to this week's games......traded C Dillon & R Bush for S Jackson, and picked up V Morency of WW with my empty roster spot following the trade. Feeling a lot better about my depth, now.

Hated giving up Bush so soon, but feel that getting a top-10 RB was well worth sacrificing him and C Dillon.