Sign in to follow this  
Tarheel Boy

Would you make this trade?

I know Taylor is a starter, but I have Jones and I think Barber might get a lot of the carries eventually. Is this too much to give up for Barber?

not so fast. i agree that trading a starter for a backup is not a decision to be taken lightly. HOWEVER, i think that there are several factors that the previous responses failed to take into consideration (through no fault of their own), because they don't know if your team starts 1, 2 or more RBs. they don't know if you have a flex position or not. they don't know how strong or deep you are at other positions. the fact of the matter is jj and taylor are both somewhat injury prone. they don't know what else your league mate might even be able to offer in a trade for taylor.

it could be that your team rocks; you've got solid starters and serviceable backups in every other position; and the only thing the other guy could sensibly part with is one of the four mediocre defenses that he has on his roster. my guess is that jj and taylor will be vying for #2 RB in your lineup, because (please tell me that I am right here) you took another RB in the first round and neither was your first draft choice. maybe you even managed to land this unnamed RB's backup as a handcuff. if this is the situation, you may have little if any need for taylor and barber is the one potential weak link in your otherwise superbowl bound ff team. in this case, waiting to make the trade really only exposes you to risk that you don't need to take.

now, i am not trying to dismiss any other the other responses that you have received. In fact 9 times out of 10 (or more), the don't-trade-a-starter-for-a-backup rule is a great one, but you would do yourself a real injustice not to really assess what is best for your team rather than just what you might or should be able to get for a player that you don't need yourself...

just my $0.2...