Sign in to follow this  
Bratwurst

Colston on the bottom of the FFToday WR rankings?

3 for 30? Against Green Bay? I'm taking the risk and starting him over Ben Watson.

:o

me 2 after fftoday's inexplicable jockriding of addai on their rankings i gotta go with my gut

3 for 30? Against Green Bay? I'm taking the risk and starting him over Ben Watson.

:dunno:

I just traded for Colston. :ninja:

Brees was a jumping up and down like a giddy little girl or a :banana: when Colston got the TD. He LOVES this kid and this is the exact kind of big, sure handed receiver he does well with (like Gates).

Brees can put the ball on the $ and in stride and this guy will also use his body to shield defenders. Brees won't need him to have deep speed or shiftyness to get separation deep b/c Brees doesn't wanna go deep. He'll still make Colston produce - big time. I think Colston will be the #1 non-RB receiving option in the offense.

Reggie Bush will probably lead the team in receptions.

That's a heck of a projection. I hope you are wrong, because as the passing game in NO gets better, to the wideouts ... Colston gets better.

Well I would take that with a grain of salt, according to these projections, I should bench Fitzgerald for Isaac Bruce, which I cannot see happening.

qualifies as a TE since he played TE at hofstra last year. and i just picked him up and I'm starting him over crumpler. i dropped wiggins for him but i think he is an upgrade at te over wiggins. :cry: not sure though.

Login and pass?

Sorry about that big man, I was able to link directly to the article....Try this: http://www.nola.com/sportsflash/saints/ind...torylist=saints

Below is the article:

Colston may be the steal of NFL draft

By BRETT MARTEL, AP Sports Writer

Last Updated 2:10 pm PDT Wednesday, September 13, 2006

New Orleans Saints wide receiver Marques Colston (12) dives across the goal line with Cleveland Browns defender Brian Russell (27) in tow on a 12-yard touchdown catch in the third quarter of an NFL football game Sunday, Sept. 10, 2006, in Cleveland. The Saints won 19-14. Browns' Ralph Brown (20) trails the play.

AP Photo/Amy Sancetta

NEW ORLEANS (AP) - Marques Colston's rise from little known Division I-AA prospect to one of Drew Brees' go-to receivers has been so sudden, even his coach couldn't see it coming.

"If we loved him we would have drafted him in the third round or the fourth round, so we liked him," new Saints coach Sean Payton said of the seventh-rounder out of Division I-AA Hofstra. Payton's eyes were smiling as if he'd just been dealt 21 at a blackjack table.

"We thought he had all those tools that are necessary and yet there's that uncertainty as to all the other things. So I'm excited about a young player."

Colston made four clutch catches in the Saints' season-opening victory over the Cleveland Browns on Sunday. All came on third downs - three for first downs, the other for New Orleans' only touchdown.

He was not even certain to make the roster on draft day, yet Colston strolled calmly from the end zone after his first NFL touchdown. His veteran quarterback was the one who looked like the excitable rookie, leaping up to smack the 6-foot-4 receiver on the helmet and shoulder pads.

"He's a big-play receiver. He's a possession receiver, he's a throw-it-up-and-let-him-jump and-get-it receiver," Brees said. "I don't think he's limited in any way. So that makes it exciting for me."

Colston said he remembers the play, a short crossing route which he finished by diving across the goal line between a pair of defenders, but very little about his subsequent walk to the sideline with teammates engulfing him.

"It's such a long season. I'm trying not to allow myself to have peaks and valleys - keep it level as much as possible," said Colston, who also had one lowlight when a potential big gain on a flea-flicker was slapped from his hands.

"I'm just trying to be professional about it. You start taking things for more than they're worth, that's when you get in trouble."

His tendency to be calm may be hereditary. Colston's mother was among 14 relatives and close friends who drove to Cleveland from their homes in Pennsylvania to see the young receiver's debut.

When they met after the game, "My mom came down and said: 'Was that you that scored?'" Colston recalled. Her deadpan delivery had him uncertain whether she was joking at first.

On the field and in the locker room, Colston is quiet and rarely animated. The introspective, former psychology student spends much of his free time relaxing in front of the television, generally keeping to himself and rarely going out.

"He has a very calm personality. He's very composed. ... He's never been a player who showboats or draws attention to himself," said Hofstra wide receivers coach Jaime Elizondo, whom Colston still calls weekly. "He lost his father in his teen years and I think that had an effect on him."

Colston also had to overcome a shoulder injury that kept him out of the 2004 season.

"That made him mature and appreciate how much he loved the game," Elizondo said.

Colston returned the following season, making 70 catches for 975 yards and five touchdowns, including a 74-yard score on a screen in which he made some defenders miss, broke a few tackles and ended up on the far sideline.

"He probably ran 140 yards on that particular play," Elizondo recalled. "He made a lot of people miss. He really should have been tackled because the blocking wasn't great. He did a lot of that work on his own."

Colston was only 180 pounds coming out of a small high school in Susquehanna Township, Pa. Major college programs never noticed him.

"I really wasn't a hot prospect," he said.

At Hofstra, which has produced several current and former pros, including Wayne Chrebet, Colston slowly grew into a prototypical NFL receiver, building a sturdy 230-pound frame around his exceptional height.

In training camp, Colston showed he could run well, adjust to the ball in the air and make graceful leaping catches on high throws, arms extended above his head like a ballet dancer as he snared the ball with his hands.

"He's a good matchup on anybody man-to-man just because he's such a big target, and he's a guy I feel very confident throwing to," Brees said. "Keep in mind that every cornerback that stands next to Colston is a small cornerback."

Saints coaches started playing him with the first team during preseason, then traded last season's leading receiver, Donte' Stallworth, to Philadelphia in exchange for a much-needed linebacker.

On opening week, at least, the logic behind the deal played out. New linebacker Mark Simoneau started for a defense that held the Browns to 186 total yards and only 85 yards rushing. And while Stallworth had a touchdown catch, so, too, did Colston.

"I knew he was going to be a catch for somebody, just having coached the kid, knowing his demeanor, how much he loved the game, how he understood defenses," Elizondo said. "I also knew his best football was still ahead of him."

So what do you guys think his numbers will look like at the end of the year?

Hard to say, but you have got Brees and a good backfield. You just have to hope Bush doesn't take away too many of the short passes he may get. If he stays in the WR spot, I see alot of receptions with solid yardage with possibly a TD each week. A good possession receiver. He has 4.5 - 40 speed, so he is not exactly slow, he's big so not too many CBs will be able to take him down easily....

I think we'll have a better idea in 3 - 4 more games.

I picked him up from the wire and am debating whether to start him over Antonio Bryant or wait those couple of weeks. I read the article a couple of days ago and grabbed him. When you QB is so in love with you, you are probably going to get a few passes your direction.

I would like to see Brees throw more downfield to his WR/TE, and for Payton to open things up more, if your not Duece/Bush it a questionable start for any others on the Saints offense.

How could an unknown rookie not be expected to have a big day in his second game! Did we not see he had FOUR CATCHES last week!!! Screw these rankings, I'm starting him over TO.

You do realize ... this statement may come back to haunt you.

You do realize ... this statement may come back to haunt you.

Exactly! He's a rookie in his second game.....my god, it's only one weekend of football. I picked him up, but he's on the bench for a couple just to see what happens.

As the old man would say Dont Bench Your Studs :(

I agree with those latest comments. If you have a proven stud, you are not going to start this guy over him. If you do, you probably need more help than this board can provide.

My issue is Housh is out, I am in a 3 WR League and my other available options are Cotchery and Mark Clayton. My other two receivers are Holt and Lee Evans....Holt should do well and I am hopeful that Miami will give up the big play to Mr. Evans.

I was leaning toward Cotch originally, but I decided to go with Colston.

At Yahoo, and maybe some other places Colston can also be started at a TE. Unless you have another great TE option go with him. Last week the Bears D Clark had a very good game against GB as the Pack's LB's could not cover him. I expect NO to exploit this matchup this week against GB.

At Yahoo, and maybe some other places Colston can also be started at a TE. Unless you have another great TE option go with him. Last week the Bears D Clark had a very good game against GB as the Pack's LB's could not cover him. I expect NO to exploit this matchup this week against GB.

they're going to play linebackers on a wide receiver? :ninja:

they're going to play linebackers on a wide receiver? :banana:

To explain further....D Clark was 5/77 last week against GB. I expect Colston to line up at lot in the TE slot with Horn and Henderson on the outside. This could force GB to try to cover him with a LB, depending on the personel on the field. Colston did play a lot of TE in college so he could slide into that slot pretty easily and that is why he is listed at Yahoo, and a few other places from what I have heard, as a WR/TE. You can start him in either slot if you want to.