Sign in to follow this  
Giants Fan

Makin' CHOWDAH!

Ok, so I am doing it a little different. I started by skinning a couple small potatoes and dicing and boiling them, in water with some smoked oyster oil and salt. Then chopped celery, some Old Bay, slivers of garlic and dried rosemary. I will prolly skim out the rosemary, but it imparts a nice flavor.

Once that's all good I am going to add a can of Chunky soup, Clam Chowder ... and I know that seems like cheating ... but I will have TWICE as much soup. It'll be tasty in the end. You could bring up the potatoes and celery and add milk and go 3 times ... if you really had to stretch it. It's not condensed soup ... but it's better if you make a broth first and mix it. You can always reduce it, if it's too thin.

If you really had to stretch it out ... you could thicken it with flour, but that's a little more complicated and it doesn't add any flavor to reduce or thicken it. There is a french saying for the herbs ... plum de flour ... or something, usually associated with a bird or a fish. It means adding a group of dried, or even fresh spices, which you later remove. I've done Rosemarry EVERYTHING ... itsatipthat rosemarry chilli is a bad idea. Rosemary Salmon is good.

So, that's one reason why I like to remove it ... but you can leave it in if you like it. It gives a fresh taste to a seafood chowder I really enjoy.

You could even go more veggie, with leeks and corn ... organic milk, no clams ... but I like your standard New England CHOWDAH! So, that's the taste I have in mind. Chessepeak Bay style.