Sign in to follow this  
6 Million Dollar Faulk

Unlawful Internet Gambling Enforcement Act fo 2006

Just wanted to clarify here... unemployment is NOT Welfare nor is it "government assistance". Unemployment is an insurance program that you pay into (through your employer) every day. Well... not every day... but you get the idea.

Same thing with Worker's Comp... it's insurance.

I'm self employed, and I don't pay unemployment or workers comp insurance on myself. If I get hurt working or lose my business... I'd get a big "Fock You" from the State if I applied for either. As it should be.

However... if that did happen, I could easily get welfare and food stamps... indefintely... which is NOT as it should be.

Or instead of the big "Fock You", you could file bancrupcy, give your suppliers the big "Fock You", and start another business the following day.

Self-employed here too and do the same thing as you. The one part you left out about being self-employed is we have the option of covering ourselves with WC and unemployment insurance. We choose not to in order to save $$ and feel the risk of not having it is minimal. We could be covered if we wanted to be.

Yep... I could buy into it if I chose to.

The one thing that irks me about the Worker's Comp. insurance is how big a clusterfock it is with the government involved.

The thing I hate the most is... how they figure the cost. It's done by gross salary... not hours worked. It's insane.

Ex: One of my installers makes $30 per hour. I pay roughly $11 per hour in Comp insurance for him. However... if he works overtime... he makes $45 an hour... and I pay roughly $15 per hour in comp insurance. Is he 50% more likely to get hurt while working overtime?!?! There should be a flat monthly rate per employee... or at least a flat hourly rate. It's friggin' insane.

That and the fact that the comp on a $13 per hour guy is MORE than a $20 per hour guy. I hate this focking State. I guess my helper probably loves it though. He's a 10 buck an hour guy making $20 'cause the cost to me is almost the same. Just can't ever lay him off... he gets unemployemt... it'll kill me.

Advice to all the kiddies out there... go work for someone else. Being self employed is a PITA and not worth it. :wall: