Sign in to follow this  
amos88

Will Grossman Reboud?

After Rex Grossman's meltdown in MNF, what are the chances that he posts a good game versus San Francisco? I would imagine that during the bye week, chicago made the necessary adjustments.

Or will he continue where he left off and throw 4 INTs...?

After Rex Grossman's meltdown in MNF, what are the chances that he posts a good game versus San Francisco? I would imagine that during the bye week, chicago made the necessary adjustments.

Or will he continue where he left off and throw 4 INTs...?

I got my old "Magic 8 Ball" out of the closet and asked it that very same question. It said: "REPLY HAZY, TRY AGAIN."

So I had a couple of beers and smoked a joint and asked again. This time it said: "YOU MAY RELY ON IT."

Now whether it was referring to the "post a good game versus San Francisco" part, or the "continue where he left off and throw 4 INTs" part, I don`t know. :ninja:

Nothing could have been better after his worst game than having a bye week to get things straightened out against a weak opponent.

Nothing is guaranteed, but my money is on him having a solid game.

I think the Bears might get up early and run a lot in the second half, but Grossman has a solid day overall.

it helps that he has a home game too, so he doesn't have to worry about the crowds. but keep in mind the niners are coming off a bye week too so they could surprise. i can honestly see it going either way.

Sure he will. I mean AZ rebounded against Oakla... er.. nevermind.

It should be a telling game to see if the first few weeks were a fluke or if Grossman is the real deal. My buddy who's a Bears' fan already wants to see Gresie in there.

I think that's a rock solid prediction, J.

They tried letting him air it out at obscene times of the game...I think they'll run a lot more against the Niners to protect the football, play conservatively and let him get his confidence back. I don't see them engaging in a shootout if they can help it this week.

But the Niners are a surprisingly good team. That Rams team they beat is now 4-2, and could easily be 5-1 with the right bounce here or there...Niners are a decent team. If they can march right downfield and score on the 1st drive against a peaking SD defense, then clearly they are doing something right. WHo expected them to score 19 in that game? Not me - and I'm a homer.

No offense to Bears fans, but IMO, that SD defense was better at its peak than the Bears are now without MB in the secondary.

I doubt the Niners will win, but they should give the Bears a run for the money.

As for the "week off will only help Grossman" argument, how's an extra week to answer questions and dwell on the worst game of your season? That knife cuts both ways.

No offense to Bears fans, but IMO, that SD defense was better at its peak than the Bears are now without MB in the secondary.

This is where I completely disagree. The Chargers played a COMPLETE patsy schedule to start the season against no teams capable of scoring. It really isn't all that surprising that when facing a more capable offense, which the 49ers do have now, that they would be giving up a fair amount of points. The Bears were stomping out teams that were actually capable of scoring a few on other people.

I haven't looked at it through these past two weeks, but through 5 games the only team that was as impressive as the Bears in % points allowed compared to the average their opponent was scoring was Denver. The Ravens and Chargers played teams that couldn't score on tackling dummies.

Through 5 it was:

Bears opponents scored average of 17.4 PPG, were holding opps to 41.2% of their output.

Denver opponents scored average of 20.4 PPG, were holding opps to 41.6% of their output.

Ravens opponents scored average of 15.6 PPG, were holding opps to 59% of their output.

Chargers opponents scored average of 14.2 PPG, were holding opps to 63% of their output.

This is where I completely disagree. The Chargers played a COMPLETE patsy schedule to start the season against no teams capable of scoring. The Bears were stomping out teams that were actually capable of scoring a few on other people.

I haven't looked at it through these past two weeks, but through 5 games the only team that was as impressive as the Bears in % points allowed compared to the average their opponent was scoring was Denver. The Ravens and Chargers played teams that couldn't score on tackling dummies.

Through 5 it was:

Bears opponents scored average of 17.4 PPG, were holding opps to 41.2% of their output.

Denver opponents scored average of 20.4 PPG, were holding opps to 41.6% of their output.

Ravens opponents scored average of 15.6 PPG, were holding opps to 59% of their output.

Chargers opponents scored average of 14.2 PPG, were holding opps to 63% of their output.

And Matt Leinart and Edge James behind the worst O-Line in the league outside of Oakland managed to DOMINATE them. All the way to the 4th quarter when they marched right down the field and into FG position.

:cheers:

You can't disregard that.

And Matt Leinart and Edge James behind the worst O-Line in the league outside of Oakland managed to DOMINATE them. All the way to the 4th quarter when they marched right down the field and into FG position.

:wub:

You can't disregard that.

See, this is a fabrication as well. Matt Leinart and Edge James moved the ball for 1 quarter, and one final drive.

In quarters 2, 3, and most of the 4th until that final drive, they were dominated.

Leinart's stats over that span: 9/27 for 115, and a fumble. 33% completion, 4.26 YPA.

With the final drive as well: 14/33 for 153, and a fumble. 42% completion, 4.93 YPA.

After the 1st quarter, his stats just aren't good and the notion that he was marching them downfield at will is just completely inaccurate. His numbers don't bear it out, the drive charts don't bear it out.

The only reason they were getting points is because of Bears mistakes. 2 Grossman turnovers gave them 2 gimme FG's in the 2nd. They were 10 and 20 yard drives. The defense clearly did their job there, unless you want to say "3 points!!! Bad D!!!!". The other FG in the 3rd was a short field due to a stupid onside kick, and they still needed to get the punter beat down to continue the drive.

Didn't you notice that in the late 3rd and 4th, the Bears got the ball about a thousand times? They kept stopping the Cardinals and giving Rex the ball again and again, and he kept screwing it up again and again.

Whether the Bears D came out flat in that 1st quarter because they overlooked the Cardinals or it's because they were "exposed" remains to be seen. But I'd say 5 3/4 games worth of evidence to the contrary is more overwhelming at this point.

Well, I think he'll have a good game but shouldn't be forced to throw alot so I doubt he'll post over 30 points. Then again, teams seem to want to run up some scores this year despite being way ahead. :wub:

Rex Quotes

“I think this is a great lesson for me to get back to basics and do what got me to have some success and stop throwing off my back foot, step into my throws, read the coverage right, get to the right play, check out of this play, check out of that play, and just play smart football.”

I’m thinking more about just running the offense and taking what they give me instead of trying to create something or do too much.”

http://www.chicagobears.com/news/NewsStory.asp?story_id=2568

During the Arizona game he tried single handed to win the game, hes a smart enough Qb with enough physical talents to rebound from his abismal game, After all this is just his 14th game, hes still learning. He got the Farveritis and he completely disregarded any basic QB rules. He will most likely have a bad game this year, just not against San Fran.

Id start him if i had him this week, i would just be worried about a him sitting in the 4th in a loopsided game and or Lovie running it with Benson and Jones.

You've got a QB who, with the exception of a worst case scenario game last week, has been putting up good fantasy numbers all year. He's going up against a terrible defense. Unless you also have P. Manning or McNabb, I don't know how you could sit him this week.